AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with picking up the HD-DVD add-on but wanted to know what I'll be able to do and what I won't so I know its true value to me. I have a 65" Toshiba rear projection CRT that's 1080i native. The 360 looks *great* on it connected using component cables. I don't have the ability to connect using VGA because there's no VGA port on the TV and my DVI port only does DVI-D (evidently you need DVI-A/I to use DVI-to-VGA converters).

So given that setup, will I be able to watch HD-DVDs in 1080i over component? If so, is it sending the native 1080p signal interlaced for my screen? Also, I'm pretty sure I can't use it as an upconverting DVD player without VGA, so that's a bummer but not a total deal breaker.

Also, where are folks getting HD-DVD content? Netflix?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes, you can watch HD-DVD in 1080i over component. (1080i would be the actual signal sent.) It will not upscale DVDs to 1080i over component.

You can not watch HD-DVD in 1080i over VGA, only 1080p.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I'm tempted to get the add-on, but my set is 1080i VGA only. No HD over component!!!

The transcoder I have, introduces some picture degradation, something I can live with for gaming, but might drive me crazy for movie watching....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So if I understand properly, I will be able to watch HD-DVD content in 1920x1080 (in my case interlaced) in my screen over component. I'll still have to use my Oppo if I want to upconvert traditional DVD content, though.

Which transcoder are you using? I have the audio authority trascoder that I used to use with my HTPC. Can I just connect that to the MS VGA adapter and use VGA output from the 360 to my component input on my TV? On the HTPC I used Powerstrip to work out the timings so I'd have assumed I'd need the same thing here...

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I get my movies from Fryes. Otherwise known as outpost.com

I go to the store and not online, there might be cheaper online sellers..

·
Registered
568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 /forum/post/0

Thanks. So if I understand properly, I will be able to watch HD-DVD content in 1920x1080 (in my case interlaced) in my screen over component. I'll still have to use my Oppo if I want to upconvert traditional DVD content, though.

Yeah, you got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 /forum/post/0

Which transcoder are you using? I have the audio authority trascoder that I used to use with my HTPC. Can I just connect that to the MS VGA adapter and use VGA output from the 360 to my component input on my TV? On the HTPC I used Powerstrip to work out the timings so I'd have assumed I'd need the same thing here...

I have a "no name" transcoder, that appears to be a Audio Authority without the sticker... it was a lot cheaper than the brand name one...

Any way, your transcoder performs the opposite of what mine does. (VGA to Component, vs. component to VGA.) In your case, you are better off using the direct component feed, without the transcoder involved. The main reason being that you can not get a 1080i VGA signal out of the xbox at this time. If you could, using the transcoder might still introduce visable image degradation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.