AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have an HD DVD audio question. I am a dual supporter and have read that HDMI audio will give you a PCM uncompressed soundtrack on certain BD titles.

I know HD DVD's response to this is Dolby True HD. My question is, if I get a receier, like the Onkyo 604 and use HDMI, can I tak adantage of this advanced audio? If not, what will be the end result? I am just trying to get the best audio from one receiver for both formats.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The receiver in question does not advertise that it will decode Dolby TrueHD. So, audio sent via HDMI will be converted in the receiver as some other form, DD+, DD PLIIx, etc.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You simply have your HD DVD player decode the TruHD and send it to the reciever via uncompressed PCM.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo888 /forum/post/0

The receiver in question does not advertise that it will decode Dolby TrueHD. So, audio sent via HDMI will be converted in the receiver as some other form, DD+, DD PLIIx, etc.

Not what happens. The receiver doesn't need to decode TrueHD. The player decodes it into LPCM which the receiver accepts and converts to analog. Also, DD+ is a lossy compression codec used on HD DVD, nothing is converted to it.

This decoded TrueHD signal is the same thing as the LPCM on BD, it's just zipped up to save space. Since it's lossless, nothing is lost in the zipping/unzipping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have that receiver, an HD-A1 and a PS3, and it works really well. I do have the Toshiba connected via the analogs, since I prefer the sound produced by the DACs in the Toshiba (it sounds "more open" to me) and most importantly, since my TV has no HDMI in (only components, so I cannot have both inputs working at the same time).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, If I want to get the True HD Track to be converted to LPCM through HDMI, do I have to set that up in my HD A1 setup screen? If so, is it in the audio section?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your only options are selecting bitstream or PCM for HDMI, and since TrueHD cannot be sent as bitstream over HDMI 1.1, both settings will get you PCM over HDMI. I haven't tested the bitstream option, but in the worst scenario it would send the DTS track over HDMI (I don't think this is the case). If you want to make adamant sure, just select PCM on HDMI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts