AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am in the process of ripping all of my HD-DVD's to bluray format so I can burn them to BD-R discs and play them in my stand alone player. Currently using ClownBD in conjunction with AnyDVD HD to accomplish this.

On the few discs that have Dolby TrueHD audio, ClownBD leaves the audio as is so the final product is TrueHD audio, just like the original disc. However, on the majority of my HD-DVD titles that have Dolby Digital Plus audio, ClownBD converts these audio tracks to LPCM format.

I have been told that this conversion (DD+ to LPCM) is necessary because DD+ is structured differently between HD-DVD's and Blurays so DD+ from an HD-DVD will not playback correctly when it is converted/burned to Bluray format for use on a stand alone Bluray player (whereas Dolby TrueHD is the same for both HD-DVD and Bluray which is why ClownBD does not have to convert it).

1) Is the above statement true?

2) Is LPCM just as good audio quality as the original DD+ track?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Have you read this ? DD+ in HD DVD is different from DD+ in BD.

eac3to uses libav/ffmpeg decoder to decode DD+ (unless you have Nero decoder in your system). The decoded LPCM is equivalent to the original DD+ in quality.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx  /t/1415868/hd-dvd-audio-question-when-using-clownbd#post_22136272

Have you read this ? DD+ in HD DVD is different from DD+ in BD.

eac3to uses libav/ffmpeg decoder to decode DD+ (unless you have Nero decoder in your system). The decoded LPCM is equivalent to the original DD+ in quality.

Thank you!

This clears up all my confusion!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts