AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote from Hometheater magazine dec 2006 pag 58. editors gift idea's :



"


I'll pass on the HD-XA1's nifty motorized

door and get the basically identical,

$200-cheaper HD-A1. HD DVD is

cheaper and offers far better-looking

content than Blu-ray.
Who knows which

one will win the format war, but, at the

moment,HD DVD looks amazing.GM


"


on page 64 :

"

Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray

Player ($999)
Four ifs. If you have to have a BD player,

if you get one after the proposed firmware

fix (which should be in place as you

read this), if that update fixes the softness

issue, and if you don't want to get a player

from Pioneer or Panasonic (which are

more expensive), then go for it.GM


"


that says it all :)


one note : i like HD content not a format......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovision /forum/post/0


Quote from Hometheater magazine dec 2006 pag 58. editors gift idea's :



"


I'll pass on the HD-XA1's nifty motorized

door and get the basically identical,

$200-cheaper HD-A1. HD DVD is

cheaper and offers far better-looking

content than Blu-ray.
Who knows which

one will win the format war, but, at the

moment,HD DVD looks amazing.GM


"

Now you *know* that hometheatre magazine is not allowed to offend Blu-ray don't you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound /forum/post/0


Now you *know* that hometheatre magazine is not allowed to offend Blu-ray don't you?


see my edited post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF /forum/post/0


Then none of that should matter to you.


And, yeah, it says it all if we travel back in time 4 months.

auch i think you like the Blu drive ?




i'm just passing along what i read thats all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
I'm sorry, I support both formats equally, and I usually don't comment on these types of threads. But this thread is so misleading that I just had to step in.


In the December 2006 issue of Home Theater magazine (online version), read the preliminary review on the PS3 BD player. In part, it says:


"Compared to other Blu-ray players, the PS3 loads faster (not to mention faster than a Toshiba HD DVD player). On the same disc, like Corpse Bride, there is little visible difference between HD DVD and Blu-ray. There is less noise than with the Samsung BD player. All the detail promised with Blu-ray (and realized with HD DVD), is now visible."


from Chris Chiarella, http://hometheatermag.com/playstatio...6playstation3/


So I do not believe that HT magazine would in any way support the conclusion made in the title of this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovision /forum/post/0


auch i think you like the Blu drive ?




i'm just passing along what i read thats all

Oh, brother. Of course, I have to be a Blu-Ray fan boy if I think that article you posted was full of crap (at least, as it pertains to today's realities). Some of us can own both and don't have to take sides. You purportedly don't take sides, either, since you like "HD content not a format"... even though you seemed pretty happy that some magazine put HD-DVD on top in two paragraph excerpts apparently based on the state of things in October. Must have needed a long lead time for that article.... especially since there appear to only be three players on the market according to your two quoted paragraphs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovision /forum/post/0


Quote from Hometheater magazine dec 2006 pag 58. editors gift idea's :



"


I'll pass on the HD-XA1's nifty motorized

door and get the basically identical,

$200-cheaper HD-A1. HD DVD is

cheaper and offers far better-looking

content than Blu-ray.
Who knows which

one will win the format war, but, at the

moment,HD DVD looks amazing.GM


"


on page 64 :

"

Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray

Player ($999)
Four ifs. If you have to have a BD player,

if you get one after the proposed firmware

fix (which should be in place as you

read this), if that update fixes the softness

issue, and if you don't want to get a player

from Pioneer or Panasonic (which are

more expensive), then go for it.GM


"


that says it all :)


one note : i like HD content not a format......


Home Theatre Magazine has refused to review blu ray movies ever since the Samsung fiasco. Since Fall they've reviewed numerous HD DVD movies. Just the way it is. Even the latest February issue nothing yet for blu ray movie reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc /forum/post/0


I'm sorry, I support both formats equally, and I usually don't comment on these types of threads. But this thread is so misleading that I just had to step in.


In the December 2006 issue of Home Theater magazine (online version), read the preliminary review on the PS3 BD player. In part, it says:


"Compared to other Blu-ray players, the PS3 loads faster (not to mention faster than a Toshiba HD DVD player). On the same disc, like Corpse Bride, there is little visible difference between HD DVD and Blu-ray. There is less noise than with the Samsung BD player. All the detail promised with Blu-ray (and realized with HD DVD), is now visible."


from Chris Chiarella, http://hometheatermag.com/playstatio...6playstation3/


So I do not believe that HT magazine would in any way support the conclusion made in the title of this thread.

it is not stated as such but if you read that HD-DVD is WAY better and then blu-ray is with 4 IF'S. then that is that. notting more notting less.


for me personally i hope that one would kick the other ( either way ) real bad so that in no time one format is left for us to ENJOY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF /forum/post/0


Oh, brother. Of course, I have to be a Blu-Ray fan boy if I think that article you posted was full of crap (at least, as it pertains to today's realities). Some of us can own both and don't have to take sides. You purportedly don't take sides, either, since you like "HD content not a format"... even though you seemed pretty happy that some magazine put HD-DVD on top in two paragraph excerpts apparently based on the state of things in October. Must have needed a long lead time for that article.... especially since there appear to only be three players on the market according to your two quoted paragraphs.

as a consumer i think that one format should be it . not two.

so far i like HD-DVD better so i hope that HD-DVD will be the only format left within 1 year. if it turns out the other way around thats fine too. but having 2 formats and not all the studios in both camps then we as consumers are not taken serious.

IF all the studios bringing out all the titles on both formats then , as far as i'm concerned , we can keep both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
As a consumer I think that there should be two formats slugging it out in competition so that both are forced to bring the best quality they can at the best price.


The war has positives and negatives.....and in the end it is what it is. People fret way too much over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovision /forum/post/0


it is not stated as such but if you read that HD-DVD is WAY better and then blu-ray is with 4 IF'S. then that is that. notting more notting less.


for me personally i hope that one would kick the other ( either way ) real bad so that in no time one format is left for us to ENJOY

Except, no matter what, misinformation is always bad. Ok, if people are taking sides and cheering on a format like this is a sporting event, I guess it doesn't matter. But, what was quoted is just meaningless in regard to the current situation.


I do understand what you're saying about wanting one format to quickly win a decisive victory so we're all on the same page. I just don't think that is going to happen at this point without some exclusive studios giving in. And, really, neither format appears (we have no way of knowing) to be even close to a "decisive" victory no matter how advocates try to spin it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,077 Posts
Sounds like HomeTheater Magazine is worth subscribing to
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrost /forum/post/0


As a consumer I think that there should be two formats slugging it out in competition so that both are forced to bring the best quality they can at the best price.


The war has positives and negatives.....and in the end it is what it is. People fret way too much over it.

I agree; in this situation, the competition is good. I have both formats (an HD-A2 and a PS3), and, while I'm not a Sony fan by any measure (I hate their tendency for proprietary formats), if BD gave me a better HD experience I'd support them over HD-DVD. If the competition didn't exist, would BD have shown the improvement over the past 2-3 months in PQ that they have??? Competition just makes them both have to try harder to produce a cost-effective, pleasing product for the consumer. And I hate it when EITHER side is reduced to outlandish claims/predictions and put-downs of the other format; just produce quality, and the masses will follow. I hope the war goes on for a long time and only produces better, more stable products. Just my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
It is true that the early HD DVD releases looked way better. BD is catching up. EITHER format is capable of delivery excellent performance.


The KEY issue, for me at least, is to STOP using MPEG2 for BD. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use newer codecs!!!


I watched Kingdom of Heaven on BD this weekend. Looked Amazing. Watched Aeon Flux today on HD DVD. Looked Amazing.


Both can deliver given the proper treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,888 Posts
Blu-ray would go the way of the dodo bird if studio support was format neutral. Massive studio support is the only thing keeping Blu-ray in the game. Because most if not all of Blu-ray's stated superiority is theoritical at this point. I have seen nothing to prove they are superior in real work HT experience.


Moreover, I am reminded by reading another forum that the same studios supporting blu-ray are the same ones that tried to force DIVX down our thoats. So if the make HD DVD disappear I'm sure we'll see some form of DIVX implemented with the blu-ray systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/0


The KEY issue, for me at least, is to STOP using MPEG2 for BD. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use newer codecs!!!


Both can deliver given the proper treatment.

Now that would mean Sony, and the studios it owns, would have to pay to use VC-1, right? And who would they pay, MS, right? Now you see why they are still on mpeg-2.


And I agree that both can fill the need for HD movies. So why pay more to get the same HD-quality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by my94r/t /forum/post/0


Now that would mean Sony, and the studios it owns, would have to pay to use VC-1, right? And who would they pay, MS, right? Now you see why they are still on mpeg-2.


And I agree that both can fill the need for HD movies. So why pay more to get the same HD-quality?

B/c even at high bitrates, VC1 looks better than mpeg-2. There is also AVC.

Either way, mpeg-2 and high bitrates doesn't leave a lot of room for extras.


It is bothersome to me, that a cutting edge technology would still rely on an old an far less efficient codec. If Sony wants to win the format war, and does so, with inferior codecs, I will not be very pleased.....I suspect many of us critical viewers won't be either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/0


B/c even at high bitrates, VC1 looks better than mpeg-2. There is also AVC.

Either way, mpeg-2 and high bitrates doesn't leave a lot of room for extras.


If Sony wants to win the format war, and does so, with inferior codecs, I will not be very pleased.....I suspect many of us critical viewers won't be either.

I couldn't agree more - we've all spent a gazillion dollars on our HT's, not to mention the time and energy, to enjoy PRIMO quality...tis why I'll never understand the reasoning behind so many's staunch support of the lesser looking format/codec...don't tell me about "potential" and that "it'll get better when done right", etc, hd dvd could keep saying it'll only improve as well then=all just vapor. I never cared which actual brand is gonna be the winner, as long as its the finer looking product, and thus far its been hd dvd, spin it as you will. Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils /forum/post/0


I couldn't agree more - we've all spent a gazillion dollars on our HT's, not to mention the time and energy, to enjoy PRIMO quality...tis why I'll never understand the reasoning behind so many's staunch support of the lesser looking format...don't tell me about "potential" and that it'll get better when done right, etc, hd dvd could keep saying that as well then. I never cared which actual brand is gonna be the winner, as long as its the finer looking product, and thus far its been hd dvd, spin it as you will. Just my .02

Please read reviews regarding the last couple months of reviews on BD discs and please yourself watch some other BD disc besides fifth element if thats what you think BD is all about. The PQ has been consistently amazing over the last few months.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top