AVS Forum banner

Do you own or intend to purchase a HiDef DVD player in the next 3 months ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
I chose "will wait for the format war to end before purchasing" because it was closest to my actual intention -- waiting for a dual-format player to become available at a reasonable price to purchase. With the announcement of the LG player, it's fairly obvious others will follow quickly, and prices will drop rapidly. Why purchase a single format player when we know dual format ones will be affordable and available within the year?

I'm quite sure this will happen long before one of these formats fails completely and officially goes away.

·
Registered
16,166 Posts
I recently bought the Tosh A2. I figured it will be a few years before the dust settles and high end dual format players are available, but a $400 purchase is well worth it for viewing true HD movies during that time (can't say the same for a $1000 BD purchase).

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/0

Wrong forum..................

Not at all ... the whole idea was to see amoung AV enthusiasts how many have bought etc. I also plan to put the vote in the flat panel forum. My guess is the ownership will be higher in the projector section - since large screens really bring out the difference ...

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway /forum/post/0

No option for already own both?

Yep. I also missed possibility of universal players - which can potentially sway people who are waiting for the format war to end. Unfortunately can't edit polls ...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Gonna wait this out....or see if the dual format players get reasonably priced first.

I was an early adopter of both DVD and HDTV. But those 2 technologies didn't have a battle btwn format types like we see today. Still think HDDVD may have a slight edge. Although BluRay has more studio support and potential storage capabilities (and is the center of the PS3), the other format has the price advantage, a name that Joe/Jane Blow Consumer can recognize ("It's a DVD that's in HD!") and a certain 800-lb gorilla named Microsoft in it's corner. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't HDDVDs cheaper to manufacture? Consumer $$$ will likely be the final determining factor here.

Not that I have anything against BluRay, mind you.
If Sony wins, I'll jump on the BluRay bandwagon (as soon as they become affordable). Sony gear has never let me down, and they made a fine (and cheap) upconverting DVD player that I picked up recently. The PQ of the DVP-NS75H on my Hitachi HDTV is pretty amazing. And will hold me over just fine until the dust settles.

The choice btwn formats, though, has NOTHING to do with audio/video quality. They both look the same!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.