AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm not sure if you are referring to hardware or software.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/0

The PS3 hasn't been released in Europe yet. We saw the same sales numbers in the US until PS3 was released.

I'd say it was a combination of PS3, lack of games and influx of movie titles that reversed the trend for BD in the US....JMHO.

amazon.co.uk has both HD DVD and BD titles and you can compare the ranks of the top titles there is you like....to see what's going on there/

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Basically HD DVD did exceedingly well while it was just stand-alone boxes competing with each other. Some rumors claiming that stand-alone blu-ray sales were as low as 30,000 compared to well over 100,000 for HD DVD.

The PS3 launch coupled with a strong release schedule have recently put blu-ray back in the race, and as of now they have the momentum on thier side.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Ruptin /forum/post/0

its true guys. in europe, 10 HD-DVD discs have sold versus 2 Blu-ray discs. things are looking great for hd dvd.

I wouldn't be that harsh about it.

In fact the reports from our European friends are that the Toshiba has sold through their initial allotment of players (probably at least 10,000) very quickly, that would translate into a LOT of movie sales.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Technically, only the studios that are format neutral know who is "winning". No accurate sales numbers have been released. All people have to go by are online website sales, and "proprietary" data collection schemes. Neither of which give true reference numbers and revolve around limited sampling.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Ruptin /forum/post/0

its true guys. in europe, 10 HD-DVD discs have sold versus 2 Blu-ray discs. things are looking great for hd dvd.

LOL!!!! These threads are getting old.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/0

I wouldn't be that harsh about it.

In fact the reports from our European friends are that the Toshiba has sold through their initial allotment of players (probably at least 10,000) very quickly, that would translate into a LOT of movie sales.

I'm sure the PS3 will sell out it's initial allotment of a 1,000,000 or so players in Europe on day 1.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure the PS3 will sell out it's initial allotment of a 1,000,000 or so players in Europe on day 1.

I'm not.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV /forum/post/0

Considering the fact that, in the US, they sold only 687,000 PS3's from the launch in November to the end of the year, your estimate seems a bit optimistic. In addition, the machine is dying a quick death in Japan, where PS3's are apparently languishing on store shelves. And this is with the reduced price of the 20 GB unit in Japan.

Factor in the PS3's higher price scheduled for its European launch -- not a very favorable set of circumstances. Maybe they'll hit a million sold in Europe by August.

·
Banned
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black /forum/post/0

In addition, the machine is dying a quick death in Japan,

Maybe they'll hit a million sold in Europe by August.

lol bob black, always good for a laugh. see you on new year's eve 2007 when there are 10-20 million playstation 3's sold world wide.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black /forum/post/0

Considering the fact that, in the US, they sold only 687,000 PS3's from the launch in November to the end of the year, your estimate seems a bit optimistic. In addition, the machine is dying a quick death in Japan, where PS3's are apparently languishing on store shelves. And this is with the reduced price of the 20 GB unit in Japan.

Add to that this.... there are a ton of UK players every time I sign on Xbox live, and they don't seem to have anything nice to say about the PS3.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you are using the UK numbers for the HDDVD/BluRay fight you should be fair and include Japans numbers as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.