AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building an Htpc and and want to burn my hd dvds to my collection aas well and am was wondering if they made any hd /dvd/BLURAY writer drives so I could burn both, or would I have to get an external hd dvd writer?


Does anybody know of any make, models to look for or have any bright ideas for me? Any input would be appreciated, thank-you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Not made any more for some time


Used is about the only route today


I convert my 150+ set of HDDVD to bluray iso with clownDB, but you do need a HDDVD reader of some type on the PC to do this..


I have since - rebought a few of my favs in bluray, but will never rebuy them all -- I can play them from the blueray iso, but some are do not turn out as well as I hope in the "audio" area - so on those that were important enough to me I rebought and remake the movie only iso's.


I'm about to pack up by last HDDVD player and liely will packup the actual HDDVD disk as well...


steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk /forum/post/19634683


I'm in the process of building an Htpc and and want to burn my hd dvds to my collection aas well and am was wondering if they made any hd /dvd/BLURAY writer drives so I could burn both, or would I have to get an external hd dvd writer?


Does anybody know of any make, models to look for or have any bright ideas for me? Any input would be appreciated, thank-you.

None at all; not even readers.

Even when it was still in the market (as a format), HD-DVD burners weren't widely available.

But why burn HD-DVDs/BDs at all?

Blank discs (BDs) cost upwards of $20 (dual-layer for 1:1 copies), its simply economical to buy the movies than burn them.

Or back them up on a hard drive and back up that hard drive. Even with two drives with the same data, it will still be cheaper than burning them on a disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19635101


None at all; not even readers.

Even when it was still in the market (as a format), HD-DVD burners weren't widely available.

But why burn HD-DVDs/BDs at all?

Blank discs (BDs) cost upwards of $20 (dual-layer for 1:1 copies), its simply economical to buy the movies than burn them.

Or back them up on a hard drive and back up that hard drive. Even with two drives with the same data, it will still be cheaper than burning them on a disc.

BD-50's are NOT $20/disc. Maybe 3 years ago they were.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/10-Verbatim-blu-r...item41552f9a1b


Ya, that's $5 per disc for NAME BRAND. Don't even get me started on no-name blanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts
And for those in the know, they would be WELL aware that not every disc's "main movie + lossless audio" even reaches 25GB. Looking at all my backups, I'd say less than half.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/19635517


BD-50's are NOT $20/disc. Maybe 3 years ago they were.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/10-Verbatim-blu-r...item41552f9a1b

Ya, that's $5 per disc for NAME BRAND. Don't even get me started on no-name blanks.

hmm....I guess I am behind the times.

Single layer discs are of course about a $ ea. last time I checked but didn't think double layer prices would fall this quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/19635529


And for those in the know, they would be WELL aware that not every disc's "main movie + lossless audio" even reaches 25GB. Looking at all my backups, I'd say less than half.

Yeah, that is often the case.

Though most of my action movies (backed up as main movie w/ 1 HD track) are around 30GB. I guess if one really wanted to burn to a disc, compressing from 30GB to 25GB is not going to make much of a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/0



None at all; not even readers.

Even when it was still in the market (as a format), HD-DVD burners weren't widely available.

But why burn HD-DVDs/BDs at all?

Blank discs (BDs) cost upwards of $20 (dual-layer for 1:1 copies), its simply economical to buy the movies than burn them.

Or back them up on a hard drive and back up that hard drive. Even with two drives with the same data, it will still be cheaper than burning them on a disc.

So I need a hd dvd reader, is there any certain software I need for backing them up to my hard drive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
AnyDVD HD


The cheapest HD-DVD reader is the xbox drive. I picked one up a while ago for $20, but I'd guess they are more now...as I think the audience for these drives is mostly made up of people like us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19635797




Yeah, that is often the case.

Though most of my action movies (backed up as main movie w/ 1 HD track) are around 30GB. I guess if one really wanted to burn to a disc, compressing from 30GB to 25GB is not going to make much of a difference.

Yeah, same here as well. Most of my favorite movies are above 30GB....just luck of the draw I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
You might still be able to find the LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD reader or the LG Blu-ray burner/HD-DVD Reader combo. I can't remember the specific model numbers though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog51 /forum/post/19645024


You might still be able to find the LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD reader or the LG Blu-ray burner/HD-DVD Reader combo. I can't remember the specific model numbers though.

BD/HD-DVD Reader - GGC-H20L

BD Writer/HD-DVD Reader - GGW-H20L


A refurb GGC is available on Ebay currently for $89 or less. The seller doesn't know (or didn't care) about the HD-DVD part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
I don't think anyone ever made a combo drive that burns both HD DVD and BD, that's why I went w/ the LG CD/DVD/HD DVD/BD reader CD/DVD/BD writer combo drive (probably the GGW-H20L from above but they had a couple of models before HD DVD died).


I was glad that I got the burner for the format that lived and was really glad that I got one that could play both especially when HD DVD died and you could get box sets for less than the price of single movies and single movies for less than a rental fee, that was sweet while it lasted, wish I would have bought more.


I'm actually thinking I should pull this drive and put it aside in an external case so I don't risk it failing from use at some point that I can't find anything anymore that can play HD DVD.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top