AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feel that someone should still be making HD movies?


~ Why not continue releasing older films or even Cult indie films. Somthing like what they do with vinyl records, though they arn't around anymore they still are available somewhere.


I think it will help bring alot of older films to HD such as They Live, or Goulies, or gremlins somthing that can be made cheap and sold. You know a private production company that can get their hands on almost any film "Even newer independent films ~ and have them transfered to HD DVD's.


Bluray seems to be more interested in Movies that are just being released and look like they don't have huge intentions of transfering hundreds of older films like HD DVD' makers did.


I'm sure they can make a profit since 1 year later people are still picking up HD DVD titles. They just have to find a niche market and develope a cult following for Rare Films that arn't or won't be found on bluray for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,846 Posts
It costs a lot to author for any format.


I think you will find that it is better to target a format that is growing rather than one that has died if you want to continue to sell you product in the years to come...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I think vinyl is bad analogy as CD vs vinyl are two different things. Blu-ray and HD-DVD are just megabytes on a disc, for the most part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaycurse /forum/post/15549791


I think vinyl is bad analogy as CD vs vinyl are two different things. Blu-ray and HD-DVD are just megabytes on a disc, for the most part.

Not only that but the market penetration of turntables was way high. EVERYONE had at least one in their home. What percentage of homes have an HD-DVD player?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz /forum/post/15547841


Does anyone feel that someone should still be making HD movies?

Well that would depend on whether it makes economic sense to release a movie on HD DVD. For instance over 8 million Blu-ray discs were sold in December of 2008 which is over twice the number of HD DVD discs sold in 2006 and 2007. Add in the fact that Toshiba no longer makes HD DVD players and you basically have a small market that will only get smaller. There may be a few more HD DVD releases but I wouldn't expect much at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I've been buying HD simply because of the huge price drop. Can't see any reason why someone would manufacture an HD disc today. Doesn't make any sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
a small market still exists, I bought death proof recently and I have no intension of going to jump the BR wagon anytime soon.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,032 Posts

Quote:
Bluray seems to be more interested in Movies that are just being released and look like they don't have huge intentions of transfering hundreds of older films like HD DVD' makers did.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD are disc formats. Studios decide what movies to release. It's all about $$$. That's why you won't see any more HD-DVDs.

Quote:
I'm sure they can make a profit since 1 year later people are still picking up HD DVD titles.

Once you find out how much it costs (all costs) to get HD-DVDs made, the profit won't be there. And, it's cheaper now to make BDs and there's more of a market.


larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz /forum/post/15547841


I'm sure they can make a profit since 1 year later people are still picking up HD DVD titles.

People are still picking up HD DVD titles SOLD AT A LOSS! How do you make a profit by selling at a loss? Volume won't do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
I am willing to pay the full regular price of a potential new title. death proof I paid 14 euros, but I was willing to pay up to somewhere in the region of 30 euros, shipment excluded. I bought also sexy beast at nearly as soon as it was released and it wasn`t cheap. why not release a title maybe on a dvd9 ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
I'm also buying HD DVDs only because many fantastic titles are dirt cheap. But these are existing titles and the supply is drying up so I don't expect to find many more I have to have. Very happy to have the ones I do have though.


If someone was crazy enough to release new HD DVDs they'd have to price them much lower than BD. It's doubtful anyone still in business would be that crazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq /forum/post/15550147


Not only that but the market penetration of turntables was way high. EVERYONE had at least one in their home. What percentage of homes have an HD-DVD player?

What percentage of homes would even buy an indie title? There's quite a few HD DVD owners who would buy anything that came out, just to encourage more titles coming out later. Besides, from what I've noticed, HD DVD (or purple) owners would be more likely to be interested in old/indie titles than a BD owner and anyone who did release a title would have the field to themselves and would get plenty of attention that would probably be beneficial for the DVD/BD release as well. I would be surprised if no one even gave it a shot, but who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
I'd buy a new HD DVD for $20 or so just for the novelty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmk2 /forum/post/15551270


a small market still exists, I bought death proof recently and I have no intension of going to jump the BR wagon anytime soon.

From what the Senator representative said copies of the Death Proof HD DVD were produced a long time ago (he said that in July of 2008) and that Senator couldn't release it until the Death Proof Blu-ray came out in the US . That helps explain why Senator released the Death Proof HD DVD last month since they literally had copies of it sitting in storage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz /forum/post/15547841


Does anyone feel that someone should still be making HD movies?

no, i feel that some people should get over it already. If the studios felt those movies need an HD treatment of either sort, they'd put them out. if they think there isn't a large market for them on the format that did succeed, what would possibly make them release the movies on a format that failed
although I'm not sure why vinyl records are still kicking around either, I would imagine the operating costs, technology, and capital involved in running a facility that cuts and presses small runs of analog music into a piece of PVC on 40 year old equipment no one else wants are drastically different than manufacturing high density optical discs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/15558993


From what the Senator representative said copies of the Death Proof HD DVD were produced a long time ago (he said that in July of 2008) and that Senator couldn't release it until the Death Proof Blu-ray came out in the US . That helps explain why Senator released the Death Proof HD DVD last month since they literally had copies of it sitting in storage.

I am aware that was the case with death proof on both formats in germany. still I decided to buy on red and as I said I would have paid a very high price if I had to. if something new ever comes up, I would pay the regular price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmk2 /forum/post/15551270


a small market still exists, I bought death proof recently and I have no intension of going to jump the BR wagon anytime soon.

Most people would simply buy Death Proof on Blu-ray.
 
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top