AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

· Registered
874 Posts
Yes, I have been following this story since the beginning and it looks like HD-DVD has been completely compromised and movies are available to be downloaded FREE.

This is great news for Blu-ray, because so far this only applies to HD-DVDs, and Blu-ray can implement BD+ and ROm marking.

I am really happy to support the format that is protecting studios better, because if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have such cool movies to watch and talk about.

· Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle /forum/post/0

Yes, I have been following this story since the beginning and it looks like HD-DVD has been completely compromised and movies are available to be downloaded FREE.

This is great news for Blu-ray, because so far this only applies to HD-DVDs, and Blu-ray can implement BD+ and ROm marking.

I am really happy to support the format that is protecting studios better, because if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have such cool movies to watch and talk about.

You do realize that those type of comments make BD an even bigger target. Seeing that ANYTHING can be hacked, I guarantee you'll be eating your warm and fuzzy words in the near future.

· Registered
210 Posts
Couldn't this inturn boost HD DVD player sales? People can see that the HD DVD has been hacked, so they are going to invest in this format?

These people who download HD DVD movies are most likely people who wouldn't be buying the media in the first place! DVD hackers are not buying DVDs, and they won't be buying HD DVDs either.

I don't think there are too many early adopters of the HD format who are big into piracy. If that was the case, then they would have waited download to be more readily available.

I personally don't think that its going to have a dramatic effect or cause the format to fail.

· Registered
2,010 Posts
HD movies have been available online (illegaly) for YEARS. How do you know this is from HD DVD and not from cable?

· Registered
2,409 Posts
Most connections start before you go to bed, & it'll be done easily by the time you get home from work. IF you are using a premium Downlaod service, and not just relying on a spotty bi toren t esk connection.

· Registered
3,107 Posts

Quote:

Well I could only say you have not been following the story close enough. There is basically no hack and nothing has been compromised. Windvd just put the title key in clear memory. That's all. Next windvd's device key and title key would be revoked. Also, I expect to see bluray download very soon because windvd has the bluray version first. The only reason hd dvd is ripped first is that bluray burner is too expensive for this guy.

Future release for both are still safe and current release for both are compromised. It is an understood risk by AACS. If AACS is really serious, they shouldn't give out key until Vista PVP is used. BTW, nobody has get the key from Powerdvd yet? It is only on XP, right?

· Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXstasie /forum/post/0

Couldn't this inturn boost HD DVD player sales? People can see that the HD DVD has been hacked, so they are going to invest in this format?

These people who download HD DVD movies are most likely people who wouldn't be buying the media in the first place! DVD hackers are not buying DVDs, and they won't be buying HD DVDs either.

I don't think there are too many early adopters of the HD format who are big into piracy. If that was the case, then they would have waited download to be more readily available.

I personally don't think that its going to have a dramatic effect or cause the format to fail.

Movie Studios would have you believe it's stealing the food right out of their mouth but they are assuming that if you didn't steal it, you would have bought it. It does seem though that in the past, people embrace things that are more vulnerable rather than locked down tight. Consumers don't like being told what they can or cannot do with what they buy. BD fanboys see this as the demise of HD-DVD while I see it as something that will help build sales.

· Registered
874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy /forum/post/0

Well I could only say you have not been following the story close enough. There is basically no hack and nothing has been compromised. Windvd just put the title key in clear memory. That's all. Next windvd's device key and title key would be revoked. Also, I expect to see bluray download very soon because windvd has the bluray version first. The only reason hd dvd is ripped first is that bluray burner is too expensive for this guy.

Future release for both are still safe and current release for both are compromised. It is an understood risk by AACS. If AACS is really serious, they shouldn't give out key until Vista PVP is used. BTW, nobody has get the key from Powerdvd yet? It is only on XP, right?

Here is a direct quote from one of the guys:

Quote:
As it stands even if they update the players, the title keys already out can be used to track down the new locations. When you know what to look for it would be easy. The only way they stop this is blacklisting the titles out now. Can you really see them doing this.

looks more like HD-DVD is really in hot water to me.

and why no front page AVS headline??? Isn't this event newsworthy? Seems like studios especially would think this is a big deal.

My prediction: Universal will go neutral now sooner than anyone thought.

· Registered
3,107 Posts

Quote:

looks more like HD-DVD is really in hot water to me.

If you believe him, just ask him why nobody has got the key from Powerdvd for the whole two weeks? Remember Powerdvd is only on XP.

It is no suprise, because windvd just put it in clear. You just pick up, no hack/crack required.

BTW, these guy have no clue what they are talking about. Released content from both party is compromised. Future release from both is still safe.

· Registered
874 Posts

Quote:

If you believe him, just ask him why nobody has got the key from Powerdvd for the whole two weeks? Remember Powerdvd is only on XP.

It is no suprise, because windvd just put it in clear. You just pick up, no hack/crack required.

BTW, these guy have no clue what they are talking about. Released content from both party is compromised. Future release from both is still safe.

Please provide a link proving that a Blu-ray disc has been compromised and released. My guess is you can't.

· Registered
3,107 Posts

Quote:

Please provide a link proving that a Blu-ray disc has been compromised and released. My guess is you can't.

Hmm, let me see. Windvd HD DVD version didn't bother protect the title key. Windvd Bluray version was released before the HD version. For something magic, they protected bluray title key... Is that what you are saying?

Give me a break here, just because someone couldn't afford the >$500 bluray burner doesn't make the rip process any different.

· Registered
874 Posts

Quote:

Hmm, let me see. Windvd HD DVD version didn't bother protect the title key. Windvd Bluray version was released before the HD version. For something magic, they protected bluray title key... Is that what you are saying?

Give me a break here, just because someone couldn't afford the >$500 bluray burner doesn't make the rip process any different.

sorry but no one has at this point proven this or provided anything other than speculation about blu-ray's vulnerability.

it is possible that this is not an issue with the blu-ray player, no one knows this for a fact one way or another at this point.

even if it is true, the blu-ray spec provides two additional copy protection features to studios: the ROM watermark, and BD+. Niether of which are offerred by HD-DVD. This was a huge part of the reason that Sony, Fox, and Disney chose Blu-ray to begin with.

· Registered
3,107 Posts

Quote:

BTW, FYI, bluray Superman disc image was on the usenet for about a month already. It is just that nobody knows Windvd was that stupid. Well, they do now...

· Registered
1,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora /forum/post/0

I found a a blog that has a screencap of the file description but he does not reveal the actual torrent tracker.

People have been able to rip the EVO files since the backup tool was annnounced. Has anyone verified this is actually a file that is unencrypted?

Krinkle-

There was a question about this at CES in the Next Generation format debate. Studios from Blu-ray said this would affect both formats in a negative way. I'm sure you'll ask me for a link - it's in the insider thread somewhere.

I'm sure WinDVD is compromised for Blu-ray as well. Keys will be revoked, titles may be delayed if they need to repress the discs with the revoke key on them. They could also re-release the title with new volume keys that won't play on the old players.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.