AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HD DVD prices are a major issue.

What about becoming more mainstream with the HD DVD title prices. I was in Best Buy tonight looking at Blade Runner. DVD 16.99 and HD DVD 34.99. The HD is worth a premium but more than double will not cut it in the current environment.

This situation needs sales of the HD DVD players and more mass market appeal for the HD DVDs. I would see pricing at no more than an $8.00 premium for the HD DVD. If one advantage of the format is disk production cost it should start showing up in the disk prices or the format will continue to have mass market appeal problems. What do you think????

·
23,030 Posts
Go back 9 years ago when DVDs were out for about a year or so. What's different?

larry

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/12901726

Go back 9 years ago when DVDs were out for about a year or so. What's different?

larry

Are you kidding? When DVD's had been out for a year, I paid $5 MAX for about the first 50-60 DVD's I bought in 1998.

800.com 3 for $1, Reel.com freedvd and freedvd2 coupons (I remember getting a CREDIT on my card when I ordered a disc using the free $20 GC- they PAID me to take their discs), and many more.

Last year's BOGO's allowed you to get discs for $7-10, but I bet that's gone with the format war dying down. Maybe we'll see them again for the 2008 holidays. DVD's were actually cheaper in 1998-1999 than now due to the internet wars. You wouldn't believe how many discs my friends and I ordered from Reel.com during that period.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood49 /forum/post/12901787

Are you kidding? When DVD's had been out for a year, I paid $5 MAX for about the first 50-60 DVD's I bought in 1998.

800.com 3 for $1, Reel.com freedvd and freedvd2 coupons (I remember getting a CREDIT on my card when I ordered a disc using the free $20 GC- they PAID me to take their discs), and many more.

Last year's BOGO's allowed you to get discs for $7-10, but I bet that's gone with the format war dying down. Maybe we'll see them again for the 2008 holidays. DVD's were actually cheaper in 1998-1999 than now due to the internet wars. You wouldn't believe how many discs my friends and I ordered from Reel.com during that period.

Yep. I'd say about 500 of my 800+ DVDs I didn't pay more than $14 back then. Never paid more than $27 for any one of them.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
PooperScooper,

I don't know where you shopped nine years ago but I never saw DVD's more than $20,VHS was about $5 cheaper.

The only way HDM is to survive is if they keep the prices

·
Registered
165 Posts
even if it is a reflection of prices 9 yrs ago lets face it, we are not 9 yrs ago. his point is we already have a foundation on making dvds since '97. isn't HD DVD based on that same technology? therefore it should be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

Quote:

I too fondly remember the days of 800.com and Reel.com

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen /forum/post/12901647

HD DVD prices are a major issue.

What about becoming more mainstream with the HD DVD title prices. I was in Best Buy tonight looking at Blade Runner. DVD 16.99 and HD DVD 34.99. The HD is worth a premium but more than double will not cut it in the current environment.

This situation needs sales of the HD DVD players and more mass market appeal for the HD DVDs. I would see pricing at no more than an $8.00 premium for the HD DVD. If one advantage of the format is disk production cost it should start showing up in the disk prices or the format will continue to have mass market appeal problems. What do you think????

+1

We need lower software prices to go along with the lower player prices.

The sooner the better.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:

I seriously doubt that. I was an early adopter in 98. I got a deal every now and then like it is now, but the large majority were going for 18.99 from what I remember. If you add inflation, there really is not much of a diff. most I see at worst buy are 29.99.

The main reason they cost more now, as DVD did, is that they are not yet mainstream. And also, they are not mainstream in pre-owned rental sales either which supply alot of the cheaper disks.

You can get most titles under $20 anyway.. just go on ebay or amazon. Best Buy charges full retail anyway unless they have a sale.

I just picked up transformer this week off ebay shrinkwrapped and new for $13.

amazon $27 free shipping

tower.com $26.99

half.com $25/$22

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, a good deal on DVD's 10 years ago was like $16.99.

And like bjmarchini said, you can still find HD DVD's for $14-20 on tower, amazon, ebay, etc.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian /forum/post/12903212

even if it is a reflection of prices 9 yrs ago lets face it, we are not 9 yrs ago. his point is we already have a foundation on making dvds since '97. isn't HD DVD based on that same technology? therefore it should be cheaper.

It is still more expensive to make. When you produce 1 million disks for one movie versus 10-15000, there is a big difference in cost of production and distribution.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/12905207

I seriously doubt that. I was an early adopter in 98. I got a deal every now and then like it is now, but the large majority were going for 18.99 from what I remember. If you add inflation, there really is not much of a diff. most I see at worst buy are 29.99.

Congrats. You are simply proving that you're not a savvy shopper.

Are you trying to say that 800.com 3 for $1 didn't exist? Are you saying that Reel.com didn't give out $20 GC's for free? How about their $10 off $10 coupons? I guess those didn't exist either.

Google 800.com 3 for $1 DVD's and Reel.com freedvd and freedvdtoshiba2 coupons, and see what you come up with....unbelievable. I can still remember the coupon codes almost 10 years later due to how incredible they were.

Prices were at the same level over the holidays...I got 12 Fox Blu-Rays for $2.97 shipped each due to the BOGO+10% off+ pricematch once the prices were lowered during the last sale. All my Warner catalog Blu-Rays were $7.98 shipped each (BOGO+Amazon 10% off).

You mention Best Buy. Who in their right mind would buy discs there? They're like $29.99-$34.99. The only time I've EVER bought any HDM in a store is during the CC BOGO where I got Transformers and Knocked Up for $30+tax.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
The prices of DVDs at 800.com and Reel.com had nothing to do with home video, and everything to do with the dot-com bubble inflating, and companies trying to jack up their IPO prices by generating millions of hits to their websites. They didn't care that they were losing money by the trailerload.

At that exact moment you could walk into Best Buy and pay $22.95 for any ordinary DVD.

The consortium-supported BOGO sales on HDM have a similar artificial effect on BD and HD-DVD prices. Again, operating at huge short-term losses is part of a long-range strategy.

In both situations, retailers alone, trying to sell at a profit over the long term, would not be able to support such prices.

The only way to get generally lower prices at normal retail is for distributors to lower their wholesale prices.

I certainly agree that mass-market success requires mass-market pricing. Although the prices of cell-phone plans and iPods could be used as a counterargument.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
In 1998, in Montreal, most new release DVD were selling for $32.99 to $38.99 in the main B&M store that sold them, Metro Video. Catalog titles were $23.99 to $27.99. I still have my receipt

Metro Video at the time was the only place (B&M) where you could get all that was released in Montreal. Sam's had a smaller selection (before it closed) and HMV and Archambault were late in the game with smaller selection and in the case of HMV selling their DVD $5.00 more than anybody else.

All those price are in 1998 Canadian dollars of course

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood49 /forum/post/12905432

Congrats. You are simply proving that you're not a savvy shopper.

Are you trying to say that 800.com 3 for $1 didn't exist? Are you saying that Reel.com didn't give out $20 GC's for free? How about their $10 off $10 coupons? I guess those didn't exist either.

Google 800.com 3 for $1 DVD's and Reel.com freedvd and freedvdtoshiba2 coupons, and see what you come up with....unbelievable. I can still remember the coupon codes almost 10 years later due to how incredible they were.

Prices were at the same level over the holidays...I got 12 Fox Blu-Rays for $2.97 shipped each due to the BOGO+10% off+ pricematch once the prices were lowered during the last sale. All my Warner catalog Blu-Rays were $7.98 shipped each (BOGO+Amazon 10% off).

You mention Best Buy. Who in their right mind would buy discs there? They're like $29.99-$34.99. The only time I've EVER bought any HDM in a store is during the CC BOGO where I got Transformers and Knocked Up for $30+tax.

you act like these places were main stream. In 98, the online marketplace was still taking shape. Ebay had just started. Geez. I am not saying that the deals did not exist, but they were the great exception and not the rule.

And I am savy. But things were different then. And if you are buying Bladerunner for $35, look who is calling who savy?

We are actually in a better position than when DVD was introduced. Rental stores never seemed to have for than a handful of DVDs on hand if that. And for the most part you were stuck with your local stores unless you were willing to take a chance on getting scammed in the "wild west" online market place in 98.

Now, there are so many avenues that you go from places like amazon and ebay to netflix and blockbuster.com and product search engines like yahoo shopping and froogle. I have yet to pay more than $20 for an HD disk (not include the $50 I paid for Matrix which comes out to be about $17). You just need to be patient. I have even gotten a number of ones that I wanted for under $13. I just received Dune new today for $12 shipped from ebay. I believe worst buy still has it listed at 24.99

·
Registered
372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/12905685

The prices of DVDs at 800.com and Reel.com had nothing to do with home video, and everything to do with the dot-com bubble inflating, and companies trying to jack up their IPO prices by generating millions of hits to their websites. They didn't care that they were losing money by the trailerload.

At that exact moment you could walk into Best Buy and pay $22.95 for any ordinary DVD.

The consortium-supported BOGO sales on HDM have a similar artificial effect on BD and HD-DVD prices. Again, operating at huge short-term losses is part of a long-range strategy.

In both situations, retailers alone, trying to sell at a profit over the long term, would not be able to support such prices.

The only way to get generally lower prices at normal retail is for distributors to lower their wholesale prices.

I certainly agree that mass-market success requires mass-market pricing. Although the prices of cell-phone plans and iPods could be used as a counterargument.

yes i remember getting $50 off a $50+ purchase from a company like healthstore.com back in the dotcom days around 10 years ago. it's hard to beat paying less than $5 for $50 worth of health care products (i.e. shaving gel, deoderant, toothpaste, etc.) that i would have had to buy anyways (can't go around with bad breath/rotting teeth/six-o-clock shadow/b.o.). i believe the company threw in free shipping, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts