AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been playing around with three 360 addons using HTPCs and have been very happy with the results. But finally I was able to get HD DVD to play on a Dell 3007 monitor. With the Dell scaling everything to 2560x1600 and sitting about 3ft away the PQ is just outa this world. Now the $$$$ part
. This makes me want to go and get a Sharp 52" 1080p display and those are not cheap here and since there is no real "affordable" displays with higher rez available right now for the consumer. Starting as just an experiment by getting just one 360 addon to play on the 360 as a curiosity is now turning into a money pit...
, three addons and some major updates to the HTPCs and about 40+ movies later but I am loving every minute of this latest spending spree. Now where can I find another $10K lying around.

PS...BTW: friends ask about if I am worried about backing a format that might loose the HiDef DVD war. I keep telling them, by the time the war is settled I have already enjoyed all the HD DVD's that I bought. I also remind some about how much they paid for their 1st CD player and their 1st DVD player and the money I have invested so far is not that outta place with what we spent in the past. As of backing a loosing format, I was just getting four HD DVDs today (Poseidon, Mummy Returns, Black Rain and Scooby Doo), cashier ask about if there is a diff between DVD and HD DVD and we just talk a little since it wasnt busy. Just some info from her that she works norm at the customer service area and that she was just curious as to why more pple are buying HD DVD over Blu Ray discs. I was able to get some info from her...2 out of 5 PS3's sold at her store has been returned on the average (how do those effect the Sony 1 million ship...not sold claims), and she also mentioned the sales staff is not too plse with the BluRay player sales and that most are now rec HD DVD players. I also notice while in the store (FS) that they had 3 Toshi A2 and a 360 addon playing and just the Samsung at the Blu Ray end display playing. Not normally a backer of any format...just whats the best for me and the pple I build HTPCs for, but its looking like this time I may be backing the right horse in this race (I owned Beta, Super Beta, 8 Track, and Laser Discs in the past...
). But if Blu Ray does win, well I still have 40+ great looking movies and with the ability to backup to HDD I can always play them in the future. Now I am waiting on an affordable BluRay unit that I can run from HTPCs...sorry for this long PS...this is my 1st real comment on the format war.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/0

I also remind some about how much they paid for their 1st CD player and their 1st DVD player and the money I have invested so far is not that outta place with what we spent in the past.

My parent bought our first Betamax more than 2 decades ago for about $500 and I bought my first DVD player for $400 some 6 years ago. $500 for a HD dvd player is not that much but people have been poisoned by those $29.99 Walmart DVD player.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 /forum/post/0

My parent bought our first Betamax more than 2 decades ago for about $500 and I bought my first DVD player for $400 some 6 years ago. $500 for a HD dvd player is not that much but people have been poisoned by those $29.99 Walmart DVD player.

Chump change.I paid $1100 for the Betamax SL7200 + timer in 1976. My 1st DVD player was the Pioneer DV500 $549.00.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is this a thread of my first....

My first DVD player is a Philips/Magnavox (1998)....inconsequential.

My second though is an Apex which I bought because of the Karaoke feature.

Now when will an HD DVD player with Karaoke feature be released and of course Karaoke HD DVD discs? heheheh.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingko /forum/post/0

Is this a thread of my first....

My first DVD player is a Philips/Magnavox (1998)....inconsequential.

My second though is an Apex which I bought because of the Karaoke feature.

Now when will an HD DVD player with Karaoke feature be released and of course Karaoke HD DVD discs? heheheh.

Why would you want that? Unless you want to torture yourself with the unadulterated lossless audio of most people's own signing.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
QUOTE: friends ask about if I am worried about backing a format that might loose the HiDef DVD war.

REPLY: I've always made my purchases by judging in the present, as anything can happen down the road. I won't bore everyone with the types of video gear I'd had in the past, but I did buy my first VCR in 1975 for a cool grand (Sanyo V-Cord). It was the first home unit able to record a full 2 hours on a single cassette that resembled a fat 8-track. Wow! That format lasted almost a year-and-a-half! But I did enjoy the heck out of it.

And a few years ago I did sell my two Sony ED-Beta machines ($1,600 each) on eBay for almost exactly the amount I'd paid for them.

So, IMO, buy what makes you happy and live for today

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/0

But finally I was able to get HD DVD to play on a Dell 3007 monitor...

Ooo do tell. I've got the same monitor (LOOOVE IT) but have assumed that I'd have to have a 1080p unit (like your 360 and vga cable... but the dell doesn't take vga..) or have a HDCP video out on your computer (which my MacBook Pro doesn't have) but if you've found some other way please let me know.

I got my A2 for projector use, and I've figured I can do HDMI-DVI and have it scale 720p - but if you can give me a clue how to get 1080p on the thing that'd be awesome. The dell can't receive a 1080i signal, can it?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/0

Ooo do tell. I've got the same monitor (LOOOVE IT) but have assumed that I'd have to have a 1080p unit (like your 360 and vga cable... but the dell doesn't take vga..) or have a HDCP video out on your computer (which my MacBook Pro doesn't have) but if you've found some other way please let me know.

I got my A2 for projector use, and I've figured I can do HDMI-DVI and have it scale 720p - but if you can give me a clue how to get 1080p on the thing that'd be awesome. The dell can't receive a 1080i signal, can it?

EDIT: Check Doom9 forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.