AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that there is a master list of Blue Ray movies on the BR software board that identifies each DVD's specifications. Is there one for HD/DVD somewhere?

I am curious to see how they compare. Most BR movies are 16/48 kHz and it would appear that HD/DVD is 16/96 (per my receiver's display).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm confused. When I pull up the info screen on my receiver, it tells me 96 kHz, MPCM. The last movie was Payback.

And what column on your HD / DVD list indicates the bit rate as 24 / 16 - 48 / 96?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's just weird. All my BR movies show up as 48kHz, but so far, the last two HD disks show up as 96kHz. I just got this reciever (Yamaha 661) about a week ago, so I'll have to go through some more HD disks to see what's going on.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
It's probably because for BD your player doesn't do any decoding, just outputs the PCM track as is, so it shows up as 48khz. But with your HD-DVD player decoding the TrueHD track, maybe it upconverts the decoded track to 96khz?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about that. I use a PS3 for BR and an X1 for HD. I have the HDMI audio on both set to default to PCM. I also use an Oppo 970 for SD / SACD. The Oppo outputs SACD at 88.2 hKz whereas the PS3 outputs the same disk as 176.4 khz. I'm completely mistified at this point.

To make it even more complex (or simple depending on how you veiw it) I have my sources going into a VP-50 and one HMDI output from the VP into my receiver. The receiver sound formats stay the same, all the time.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just tried numerous HD/DVD's and all of them come up on the reciever's information display as 96kHz. I also tried numerous BR/DVD's and they were all 48kHz.

Any ideas what's going on?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.