AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have burnt like 5 disk all sucessfull I will help as much as I can.

I am currently using

MAXELL CD-R

First I go here.

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp

Then I use Nero 7 ( express ) Doesnt matter wich ver.

Open ------------ BURN TO DISK IMAGE

Open -------------IMAGE PROJECT, COPY

Open -------------DISK IMAGE OR SAVED PROJECT

Locate the downloaded ISO file ( I usually save to desktop )

Select ISO file

BURN ( Speed does not matter )

When you burn ISO ( with 7 ) no settings required. Everything is set for you.

I leave -------------verify data on disk after burning ( UNCHECKED )

Burn process completed successfully at 24x (3,600 KB/s)

This has worked several times, Good luck.

Burn Log

************************************************************ ************************************************************ ************************************************************

Windows XP 5.1

IA32

WinAspi: -

ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\\Program Files\\Nero\\Nero 7\\Core\\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 11/2/2004 1:54:32 PM

NT-SPTI used

Nero Version: 7.0.0.0 (Nero Express)

Recorder: Version: 1.52 - HA 1 TA 0 - 7.0.0.0

Adapter driver: HA 1

Drive buffer : 2048kB

Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ?

CD-ROM: Version: 1.52 - HA 1 TA 0 - 7.0.0.0

Adapter driver: HA 1

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===

DiskPeripheral : HTS541060G9AT00 atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On

CdRomPeripheral : MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On

CdRomPeripheral : Generic DVD-ROM 1.0 d347prt Port 2 ID 0 DMA: Off

CdRomPeripheral : Generic DVD-ROM 1.0 d347prt Port 2 ID 1 DMA: Off

CdRomPeripheral : Generic DVD-ROM 1.0 d347prt Port 2 ID 3 DMA: Off

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===

MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S D: CDRom0

Generic DVD-ROM E: CDRom1

Generic DVD-ROM F: CDRom2

Generic DVD-ROM H: CDRom3

=======================

AutoRun : 1

Excluded drive IDs:

WriteBufferSize: 73400320 (0) Byte

ShowDrvBufStat : 0

BUFE : 0

Physical memory : 502MB (514480kB)

Free physical memory: 57MB (59192kB)

Memory in use : 88 %

Uncached PFiles: 0x0

Use Inquiry : 1

Global Bus Type: default (0)

Check supported media : Disabled (0)

CD Image

2:58:59 AM #1 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3007

MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S

SmoothLink activated

2:58:59 AM #2 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 525

ReadBuffer-Pipe got 71680KB of Memory

2:58:59 AM #3 Text 0 File Reader.cpp, Line 124

Reader running

2:58:59 AM #4 Text 0 File Writer.cpp, Line 113

Writer D: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S running

2:58:59 AM #5 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3301

Turn on Disc-At-Once, using CD-R/RW media

2:58:59 AM #6 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 277

Last possible write address on media: 359845 ( 79:59.70)

Last address to be written: 19218 ( 4:18.18)

2:58:59 AM #7 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 289

Write in overburning mode: NO (enabled: CD)

2:58:59 AM #8 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2568

Recorder: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S

2:58:59 AM #9 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 456

>>> Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am attempting to update my player with the newest firmare (2.2). I got it off the Toshiba site, and I believed I got is burn successfully onto a CD-R. When I pop it into my player, I get the following error message: "non DVD format disc..cannot play".

I will take a stab at the problem. Is it that I did not use a correct program to burn the ISO file? I might have access to Nero. I'm not sure. But to create the disc, I just used Windows XP.

Is this the problem, or is it something else.

Thank you.

Nick

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but the player displays "MSS G", while the display shows "This disc is not DVD format. Cannot play the disc" This seems especially odd, since I have read extensively that this player does excellent CD playback.

What gives?

Nick

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine /forum/post/0

Other people who have experienced problems burning also appear to be using TDK media, which makes me suspect that the Toshiba player doesn't like that media type.

Your burner appears to be a Samsung, which is what I use (Apparently a different model though). I've had good success using Memorex CD-R media in my DVD player/CD burner combo drive, so you might want to try picking up some Memorex CD-R's and trying your luck with those. Also note that I've upgraded my drives firmware several times, so you may wish to check the Samsung site for an upgraded firmware for your drive, just to rule out any firmware bugs.

Slaine, thank you much. Upgraded with first try on Memorex CD-R media.

I shall watch 300 today!

For others, I did not upgrade my firmware for my burner. The PC is around a couple years old...

Guess this isnt my week. My disc is dying on Chapters 17 and 18 ...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyE /forum/post/0

Slaine, thank you much. Upgraded with first try on Memorex CD-R media.

I shall watch 300 today!

For others, I did not upgrade my firmware for my burner. The PC is around a couple years old...

Guess this isnt my week. My disc is dying on Chapters 17 and 18 ...

Try deleting everything from persistent storage and then initializing the player (Write down all settings first, especially in the audio section, as these will be lost!). Once that's done, unplug the player and hit the power button again (While it is still unplugged). The power light will flicker and go out again. Leave for a few minutes and re-plug the machine back in. Re-enter any custom settings (Especially 'Dynamic Range Control, which seems to default to 'On' after a reset) and see if you have better luck.

For what it's worth, I performed those steps after having playback problems with 'The Bourne Identity' using firmware 2.3. I had no further issues watching that movie and '300' played flawlessly as well. Mind you, it's possible the routine described above is the electronic equivalent of a voodoo dance, but I've had no problems with movies after performing those steps following a firmware upgrade.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Good advise Slaine after you do the upgrade. I do the same with peristent storage and unpluging the player after each upgrade. I only had the error stating non dvd format message once and I retried the disk with no issues on one of the upgrades. I use Burn at Once to write ISO files. I find it easier than Nero and I get fewer errors and it is free and very fast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Burned at 4x on Nero, loaded and updated no problem...Maybe 10 mins on the outside.

Did the 30 day free trial of Nero and that's all it took. Longest part of the process was downloading the Nero trial version.

300 ran flawlessly.

--D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Burning an ISO is not putting an .iso file on the disk. It is using an ISO file to create a disk image.

Using Nero 6.6 SmartStart, choose CD [or DVD] from the dropdown and then Make Data CD [or DVD]. This should bring up Nero Burning ROM.

From the Recorder Menu item, choose Burn Image. Put a disk in the burner. Using the file list popup, select your ISO file.

Now continue as the OP suggests. However, once the burn starts, check the VERIFY box. When the burn completes, the disk will eject for a moment then go back in and be compared against the ISO file. If it passes, you will know you have a good disk. For flashing with a CD you really want to verify the CD copy first.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Used the settings in the screenshot in post 1, a standard CompUSA CDR, the slowest burning spped and the update ran fine.

Didn't notice any issues out of the box (just got the player last week). But the version it was shipped with was 1.3 I belive, so the tech in me was compelled to go to 2.2.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_professor /forum/post/11108856

Why not try out the freeware Active ISO Burner ... it is a burning software specifically catered to the burning of ISO image files on CDs. A check with CNet has confirmed that the software is free of spyware . The software is meant for the Windows platform.

Instructions: Just follow the instructions on the Toshiba support webpage http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp and after extracting the .iso file, follow the instructions on http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm .

You'll have to refer back to the same Toshiba support webpage for instructions on installing the update using the created firmware update CD.

The Active ISO software just simplified the whole burning process for me. Didn't have to change any settings.

Hope it helps.

Thanks to e_professor... using this freeware I was able to perform this quickly and painlessly.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've tried this a dozen times, using all 3 of my CD burning utilities (including Nero). Every time I try, they say it is not a valid ISO. I've created disks from ISOs, for other purposes before, before......no idea what to do now, but I am becoming seriously frustrated! I have a rented HD-DVD movie from Netflix that I have been unable to play for the past two weeks!

John

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/11404017

I've tried this a dozen times, using all 3 of my CD burning utilities (including Nero). Every time I try, they say it is not a valid ISO. I've created disks from ISOs, for other purposes before, before......no idea what to do now, but I am becoming seriously frustrated! I have a rented HD-DVD movie from Netflix that I have been unable to play for the past two weeks!

John

Did it verify after you burned it?

·
Registered
734 Posts
You cannot due a straight copy. In Nero you need to start a new compliation and hit cancel. You go up to "recorder" under your menus and choose "burn image"

You then will be promted to select a iso file. Burn the iso at 8x or less.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/11423736

The ISO is invalid. The software will not even try to burn it!

It sounds like the image file itself is corrupted. Have you tried re-downloading the file again? If so, what is the exact name and file size (in bytes) of the file? I'll compare it to the 2.3 image I used to upgrade my HD-A1.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/11423736

The ISO is invalid. The software will not even try to burn it!

Did you try Active ISO Burner?Believe me it works,I was making coasters until I used ISO Burner on a CD-R/W.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlankton /forum/post/11108547

For you fellow mac users, the excellent burning program Toast won't work with the firmware images for some reason. It produces a coaster every time. The mac os Disc Utility works just fine though.

Hi, I'm trying to download the update (didn't think I could with mac, it says it won't mount).

I've been trying to update my player (got it tonight) for over an hour now, hooked it up directly and it can't find the server, I've entered in my ip, I can't figure this out.

I'll keep reading and also if anyone live in the Bergen County area and has made a disc, let me know!

I think I'm version 1.0 on my player and have been checking out discs, 300 played no problem, (only watched first 10 minutes) my "superbit" version of the 5th element looked amazing most of the time, as did IMAX nascar disc.

T2 looked pretty good at times, certainly not being mistaken for hi-def though like 5th element and the imax disc. 12 monkeys didn't blow me away with picture quality.

Unforgiven and Ghost Rider on my PS3 blu-ray looked awesome, I'm going to have to compare the upscaling ability of the ps3 using 5th element and imax nascar to see if it can compete with the a20.

Will the firmware update for my a20 make a big difference in picture quality, etc?

21 - 40 of 235 Posts