AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamcracker /forum/post/12124279

Yes, if your HD-A3 shows "1.0/1.1" it needs to be updated with version 1.1, so that it says "1.1/1.1."

While this answered my question, I don't understand Tosh's method of naming firmware numbers -- why are there two with a slash between them -- for eg. what does " 1.0/1.1" as a firmware number mean vs. "1.1/1.1"?

thanks

MikeSp

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp /forum/post/12127824

While this answered my question, I don't understand Tosh's method of naming firmware numbers -- why are there two with a slash between them -- for eg. what does " 1.0/1.1" as a firmware number mean vs. "1.1/1.1"?

thanks

MikeSp

You got me there. I have no idea what Toshiba was thinking.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp /forum/post/12127824

My guess would be the player KNOWS 1.1 is available, so showing 1.0/1.1 is saying I have 1.0/but 1.1 is available. We'll know if this is true when ver 1.2 comes out and your player reads 1.1/1.2. Or i could just be on crack. This theory would be way off if those showing 1.0/1.1 are not on the network with their players (how would it know otherwise there was an update available?)

---Side note; I just burned v2.5 (for my Walmart HD-A2) using Nero Express v6.3 (iso burn, no real adjustments accessible) to a Sony CD-R. I will report back later tonight if this was a hit or miss. IF anyone knows this will fail, or cause an issue for me, please post before i screw it up!

·
Registered
792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 /forum/post/12130482

My guess would be the player KNOWS 1.1 is available, so showing 1.0/1.1 is saying I have 1.0/but 1.1 is available. We'll know if this is true when ver 1.2 comes out and your player reads 1.1/1.2. Or i could just be on crack. This theory would be way off if those showing 1.0/1.1 are not on the network with their players (how would it know otherwise there was an update available?)

---Side note; I just burned v2.5 (for my Walmart HD-A2) using Nero Express v6.3 (iso burn, no real adjustments accessible) to a Sony CD-R. I will report back later tonight if this was a hit or miss. IF anyone knows this will fail, or cause an issue for me, please post before i screw it up!

It would mean that it also has ESP since it is not connected to the Internet

BTW--I burned ver 1.1 for my A3 using the same program and it worked just fine.

MikeSp

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha /forum/post/12120499

I also had no trouble with my update using the free "Active ISO" burner AND a TDK CD-R!!! Can't say I wasn't concerned after reading about issues.

My Wally A2 was "Made in Japan" (WOOHOO!!!) in March. Didn't check the original firmware, but knew it was obviously old.

Popped in Transformers for a few scenes and she, so far seems to be in top shape. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone!

I updated my firmware the same way(Active Iso) and used a TDK CD-R.

Total process took 10-15 minutes and worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I ended up using the ISOBurner software and the Sony CD-R. I didnt even attempt the Nero burnt version. The ISOBurner disc worked perfectly and took me from 1000/t17t up to 2.5/t**t in about 10minutes. A2 working great, Thanks for the ISO/and ISOBurner link!

·
Registered
512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili555 /forum/post/12123666

For those of you hip enough to use Linux:

1. Download the zip anywhere convenient; /home/user, for example.

2. Open File Browser, Konqueror, whatever and right-click the zip file. Select "Extract here."

3. A new folder will be created, in the case of the HD-A2 file, it is called HD-A2-2501N.

4. Open K3b, the world's greatest CD and DVD burning software. Select "Burn CD image." Navigate to /home/user/HD-A2-2501N/HD-A2-2501N.iso. Under Image type, drop down and select "ISO9660 Image."

5. Click Start.

6. 3-4 minutes later, update your firmware.

7. Hug the penguin.

If you run KDE/Konqueror as your window manager, just open Konqi to view the .iso icon, right click, go to Actions -> Write CD or DVD Image with K3b...

This stuff is gettin TOO easy!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I got error from the hd-a2 using cd-rw but cd-r worked...finally...used "iso-burner" to create the update cd

what a pain!

·
Registered
995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackman1 /forum/post/12189453

I am a "software dummy". I used http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm as recommended and I had no issues. Ist try was successsfuL. Its simple and idiot proof. If I can do it, anybody can.

LOL, me too! Had to slow the burn down to 2X before I didn't get "Cannot read, not DVD format" or something similar to that on the screen though.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat /forum/post/12197331

LOL, me too! Had to slow the burn down to 2X before I didn't get "Cannot read, not DVD format" or something similar to that on the screen though.

I used Memorex CD-R's. I've always downloaded until now. It was ridiculously easy as compared to the instructions on p1. Only used one disc too.

This software is free to boot. This software should be described on p1 rather than Nero which even the OP couldn't accomplish.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 /forum/post/12199116

I used Memorex CD-R's. I've always downloaded until now. It was ridiculously easy as compared to the instructions on p1. Only used one disc too.

This software is free to boot. This software should be described on p1 rather than Nero which even the OP couldn't accomplish.

It is described on the first page of this thread.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Damn, I guess DVD-R is out, right? I don't have any CDs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just a humerous statement...I updated my HD-A2 with a Sony CD.

I followed the procedures on Toshiba's website with no issues. Nero 6 on a Sony CDR.

sconner

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I did this for 2.5 and will do it for 2.7 on my A20. The irony of it all. But I wasn't going to waste a blank CD for 40 Mb of data.

141 - 160 of 235 Posts