AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1352 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread like this stickied over in the Blu-ray software forum. There are some really nice shots in that thread! Let's see what HD DVD can do.....post away!

Here's a couple from my Sony RP LCD (A10) using the Xbox 360 HD DVD add on:

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence /forum/post/0

Sony G90 CRT with Toshiba HD-A1 at 133" diag:

^^

OMG...which one is the Hulk???

JK lol..awesome pics!

Edit: Removed picture

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clarence always has insane pics! Nice pics for everyone else too! Let's keep this thread going and remember to try and not have pictures in our quotes.....I've seen it get out of hand in other threads.

Any votes for a sticky?

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I posted some of my Blu Ray shots with comparisons to SD DVD on the BR thread

so Here's a SD vs HD DVD from King Kong

SD DVD

HD DVD

The SD DVD via HDMI Pio DV-490V Upconverting Player set @ 1080i

HD DVD via component XBOX 360 HD DVD add-on @ 1080i,

final display is 1365x768 50" plasma

4.1 mp digi photos completely untouched by photoshop other than

cropped, down rez'd and down scaled for web upload

·
Registered
295 Posts
My HDDVD is being send to me as whe speak and i am going to (ab)use this thread to hold me over. until it arives

Keep em comming.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence /forum/post/0

I personally don't like Stickies... if a thread topic is interesting and active, it stays on the top page on its own.

I tend to overlook the Stickies and skip down to the normal, unread threads.

Sometimes, though when there's a lot of people posting in the forum threads like this can get lost in the woodwork......I think it would be easier to find if it just remains a sticky, at least for awhile anyway.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are all your guy's methods for taking pictures? What I do is set the camera on a tripod, with 2 second delay and flash off......I've also heard that enabling night photo mode makes it look better, is this correct?

·
Premium Member
15,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 /forum/post/0

What are all your guy's methods for taking pictures? What I do is set the camera on a tripod, with 2 second delay and flash off......I've also heard that enabling night photo mode makes it look better, is this correct?

Tripod, flash off, and 2 sec or 10 sec self-timer delay are essential. You don't need night mode.

Other things that will help:

Lowest possible ISO setting. My camera has ISO/ASA 50. ISO 50 will require 4x as much exposure time as the standard ISO 200, but will have much less noise (aka film grain or the digital equivalent). Experiment with Manual mode (or Tv: Time Value mode) and try exposure times of .6 and .8 seconds (thus a tripod is useful).

Don't use zoom. Set the tripod at about your normal sitting distance. Crop out the black area around the picture if necessary, but if you zoom, you'll get a curves instead of straight edges.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What would be nice is to have some detail shots. It really doesn't do HD-DVD justice with these 800x600ish pics of the whole screen.

Pick 1/16th of the screen (1/4th horizontal and vertical) that has something good going on and give us a picture of that.

I'll try to do some later, but I am sure to be bested since I only have a 720p projector.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well I'm sure once we get some hq screenshots from any of the "adult" HDVD releases - the mods will have no choice but to make this thread sticky.

teehee.

·
Premium Member
15,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr27440 /forum/post/0

What would be nice is to have some detail shots. It really doesn't do HD-DVD justice with these 800x600ish pics of the whole screen.

Pick 1/16th of the screen (1/4th horizontal and vertical) that has something good going on and give us a picture of that.

If you're looking for HD comparisons over standard-def DVD, those have been done before, too. Here's a detailed section from my screenshot above of the general from Hulk on HD-DVD:

vs. a standard-def DVD screenshot:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
NEC XG750 front CRT projector on 100" diagonal screen:

Olympus C-7000 (cheap digital) tripod mounted, flash disabled and all settings left on automatic. Images resized only.

·
Registered
243 Posts
55A2000 Sony SXRD

HD-XA2

1 - 20 of 1352 Posts