AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does one need to have 1920 x 1080 resolution in order to enjoy the full benifits on hd-dvd or blue ray


im getting a panny 50" plasma in about a week and was wondering if the hd-dvd add on for the x-box 360 is worth getting since my tv displays at 1366 x 768...would it be a very noticable improvment compared to an upconverted dvd...thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
To get the full deal you'd need 1920 x 1080p.


That being said. You'll see a noticeable difference between upconversion and HD. With HD you'll have 1920 x 1080 pixels of detail to take down to 1366 x 768 pixels. When upconverting, you still only have 852 x 480 pixels of detail. That detail is just improved upon to a point near, but not equal to, that of 1080i HD sources. Now your HD DVDs will have detail beyond that of your 1080i cable.


I have a 360 and the add-on. Even with the 360 upconverting dvds to 1080p, I still notice a big diference playing the same movie in HD DVD form on my 1080p Monitor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Actually, all DVD's are mastered at 720x480i. The 853x480 is achieved via scaling.


You will notice a huge difference stepping up to HD-DVD, even though the resolution of your display is not 1080p. Scaled down to 1366x768 it will look amazing, and the colors are much better than DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr27440 /forum/post/0


Heck it looks wonderfully at 1280x720 so anything higher will of course look good...


assuming your TV can deinterlace and scale 1080i decently, but most can.

If you use VGA you can use 1366x768 natively



The Xbox 360 scales 1080P video VERY well....it's gonna look great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,642 Posts
Compressing the data on a 1080p HD DVD to display at 768p

will always look better than upscaling from 480i to 768p


Compressing 312 lines > Filling 288 lines that dont exsist



Here's a close-up of the same clip from King Kong SD DVD vs HD DVD






50" Pioneer Plasma (1365x768)

XBOX 360 + HD DVD add-on


The SD DVD has been upconverted, but still falls short compared to HD DVD quality.


I also have some DVD vs Blu-Ray screen shots at the link in my sig.


The one thing 1365(6) x 768 HDTV's have over 1080 native sets though,

SDTV and SD DVD will look better at 768p due to fewer lines to fill when up-converting (288 vs 600 lines of filler)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
^ Great screens! I have a 768 display also. My Zennith 318B, my Toshiba upscaling player and my two consoles don't come close to HD DVD and BD. My wife is the ultimate test and she can't stand half of the SD material we watch anymore. She constantly says "It looks so fuzzy!" She never noticed how bad it was before BD and HD DVD.


I always put it this way. Is HD on your cable or dish better than DVD? Well, HD DVD and BD are better than cable or dish...get it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
I went from a Sharp 1080p 42' to a Pioneer 768 42' and the difference is VERY minimal. In fact my Pio actualy looks better but thats a whole different story. Yes your 768 plasma will look LIGHT YEARS better than anything SD from cable to SD DVD..trust me its night and day between 480i and 720p...watch any SD DVD you have, then hook up a HD DVD and put in KING KONG and you will crap your pants
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
I watch HD-DVDs on a Sanyo Z3 720p (native) projector with a 16:9 screen size of 108" diagonal from about 10 feet away.


The picture quality is simply stunning, *much* better than SD-DVDs upconverted to 1080i, and i have a very good upconverting standard DVD player.


I can assure you that you will notice a BIG difference at 720p compared to standard upconverted DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrivera78 /forum/post/0


does one need to have 1920 x 1080 resolution in order to enjoy the full benifits on hd-dvd or blue ray


im getting a panny 50" plasma in about a week and was wondering if the hd-dvd add on for the x-box 360 is worth getting since my tv displays at 1366 x 768...would it be a very noticable improvment compared to an upconverted dvd...thanks

I have a fujitsu 50 1366 x 768 and can give some insight.


1. It is certianly worth it. You will see a major difference


2. I doubt most could tell the difference between 136 x 768p vs 1080p on a 50" screen sitting 10 plus feet away.


3. Its not all about resolution, processing plays a HUGE part. I would take my Fujitsu 1366 x 768p over 90% of the 1080p plasma out there any day. The processing in your panny will likely be great.


4. The panny has great processing dont send a SD DVD upconverted signal to it ever, unless your dvd player is universally known to be good at upconversion. Send 480i and let the panny do all the scaling and de-interlacing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadalias /forum/post/0


Actually, all DVD's are mastered at 720x480i. The 853x480 is achieved via scaling.


You will notice a huge difference stepping up to HD-DVD, even though the resolution of your display is not 1080p. Scaled down to 1366x768 it will look amazing, and the colors are much better than DVD.

I agree with this 100%. I do not have a 1080p set in my house and I noticed a huge difference from SD to HD on both of my 720p sets. I have a Fujitsu 42" plasma and a Mitsu 50" DLP. I'm not upgrading until the 1080p sets are in the 3rd generation of sets (maybe there already, but still gonna wait a while).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/0


3. Its not all about resolution, processing plays a HUGE part. I would take my Fujitsu 1366 x 768p over 90% of the 1080p plasma out there any day. The processing in your panny will likely be great.


Amen to that brother. Doesn't Fujitsu make awesome sets? I was talking to my distributor about the same think and he had to agree that the Fujitsu sets are only outclassed (on some features, not all) by the Pioneer Elites. One way to measure the greatness of a HDTV in my opinion is to see if you can purchase it from any joe blow retailer. That isn't the only method, but the Fujitsu sets are harder to find at the majority of the huge retailers because it is more specialized in my opinion than others (they are a wee bit on the pricey side).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giza /forum/post/0


Amen to that brother. Doesn't Fujitsu make awesome sets? I was talking to my distributor about the same think and he had to agree that the Fujitsu sets are only outclassed (on some features, not all) by the Pioneer Elites. One way to measure the greatness of a HDTV in my opinion is to see if you can purchase it from any joe blow retailer. That isn't the only method, but the Fujitsu sets are harder to find at the majority of the huge retailers because it is more specialized in my opinion than others (they are a wee bit on the pricey side).

Fujitsu sets are top of the line, arguably the best. Pioneer elite is probably its match. Expensive yes, but the best. Processing will always be resolution in terms of overall picture quality.


1366 x 768p (w/great processing) > 1080p (w/average processing)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/0


I have a fujitsu 50 1366 x 768 and can give some insight.

4. The panny has great processing dont send a SD DVD upconverted signal to it ever, unless your dvd player is universally known to be good at upconversion. Send 480i and let the panny do all the scaling and de-interlacing.

I have the Panasonic TH-42PX60U. Do you have any idea what chip(s) it uses for scaling/deinterlacing?


Thanks.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top