AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I don't have a HD player yet.

My experience is mainly from seeing movies in the stores(Circuit City, Best Buy).

Some movies I have seen seem too cartoonish or life-like. Almost like they were filmed with a home camcorder. Coming from the DVD world it looks very strange to me.

Does this make any sense? Any input on this?

Ed

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
i have watched both formats i think they look and sound great some differences but

very marginal giving the edge to blu-ray for more studio support=more titles and

more mfg's making players.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300ES /forum/post/12886186

My experience is mainly from seeing movies in the stores(Circuit City, Best Buy).

Some movies I have seen seem too cartoonish or life-like. Almost like they were filmed with a home camcorder. Coming from the DVD world it looks very strange to me.

Ed

Ed,

I know what you're talking about. At my local Circuit City, they have a Samsung 120hz LCD and their 1400 Blu Ray player playing Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer constantly. To me, it looks too "fake." Everything is so clean, and it has almost a soap opera look to it.

These kinds of displays for both formats are not a good representation of what kind of experience you can get from HDM. If you can, talk to a sales guy to see if they have a player set up on a different TV and if they have a different movie on. Or just go to the TV and mess with the settings because I'm sure the sales guys who set up the display just turned it on while plugging it in.

At my house, with my HD players (PS3 and A3), they look great. Even my wife can tell a big difference between a good HD movie versus a regular old 480 DVD. I'm currently saving up for a surround system so I can finally hear the awesomeness of these fancy lossless sound tracks.

Just be prepared when you jump in. DO NOT come here for anything serious. I'll estimate here that 80% of the discussion here is BS. Most of it deals with the idiocracy of the format "e-penis" squabble. There's nothing here but interesting reading.

So long as you have a good TV of decent size (I'd say min 46"), then you'll really enjoy HDM. Personally, I really love the features of HD DVD, and I'll wait for Blu Ray to get their stuff together and put those features on more of their disks. So if you're into movies, jump in. If you're not, don't bother =)

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:

Ed

It's the settings on the TV causing that. Not the player or movie.

The new TVs have motion-enhancing features, to give you that awesome home-camcorder look on your favorite films. Many of them also ship on "Vivid" settings too, so they literally outshine the others (or appear 'cartoonish' i guess).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I figured this would have been discussed. Just didn't know how to search for it.

d-dave in fact one of the movies I noticed that was FF: Silver Surfer. Especially the scene with the wonder wheel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What kind of tv do you watch your DVDs on SC300ES. Is it a HDTV? if so is it a CRT or flat panel. The flat panels especially LCD have a very artificial video/CG look to them when watching film based material in my opinion. That is out of the box the way they're set up in stores but if you adjust the settings properly or better yet have it ISF calibrated it'll look more natural the way its supposed to.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:

Ed

You are actually seeing the optional motion 'enhancement' feature offered on some, various 120 Hz displays. It has nothing to do with HD DVD or Blu-ray content, and the enhancement feature can be disabled on these displays.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300ES /forum/post/12887239

d-dave in fact one of the movies I noticed that was FF: Silver Surfer. Especially the scene with the wonder wheel.

Part of it IS the movie. I don't have a 120hz LCD, but I do have FF: Silver Surfer. It does look rather artificial, almost cartoonish. Some movies that are heavily CGI laden, tend to have that look. The Hulk is another example-it looks like a video game.

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.