AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray release dates for players yet? I thought some titles were supposed to be out by the end of the year, but I haven't really heard much abotu any players.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Toshiba is still sticking with a Q4 '05 release window for their still unnamed HD-DVD player, although with the softening likelihood of a "real" Q4 '05 HD-DVD launch (some studios have pulled back on their plans for an XMAS debut), it wouldn't be much of a launch. Technically, AACS is still being wrapped-up, the licensing terms are still being hammered out, etc. One industry pundit said we would likely see 50K-100K HD-DVD players released by the end of the year, coupled with a handlful of titles from Warner and possibly Universal. Who knows...all I can say is that it seems like things are slipping...fast.

On the BD side, no one has announced a CE deck (player or recorder), but insiders keep hinting at a Q2 '06 launch.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is Microsoft partly to blame for the slip? They were lobbying hard for the inclusion of the WM9/VC-1 codec and it was my understanding this contributed to the delay.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Bob,

Last I heard VC-1 was still tied up in SMPTE politics, but it's not holding things up from a technical perspective (it's pretty much been set in stone for a while). AACS is *definitely* holding things up...it was supposed to be a done deal months ago, but we're still at v0.9 from April with no date on when things get locked up...articles lamenting the late bow of HD-DVD keep pointing to the licensing pool issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
here is some info from another post of mine. I thought you might like to read it

Here is some good news for HD-dvd fans!

from cdfreaks webpage

SANYO Develops a Breakthrough LSI for HD DVD; The World's First HD DVD, DVD and CD Compatible One Chip LSI

TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 11, 2005--SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. (SANYO) (Nasdaq: SANYY) has developed a signal processing LSI for HD DVDs, the next generation consumer disk system. SANYO achieved on one chip, playback and recording of HD DVDs, current DVDs, and CDs. By utilizing this LSI, it is possible to lower costs and reduce the size of the HD DVD drive and HD DVD player hardware.

"SANYO is proud of the role we continue to play in developing HD DVD based system level solutions and components including our own branded player to be launched in fiscal year 2005," stated Dr. Keiichi Yodoshi Deputy General Manager of SANYO's R&D Headquarters, "HD DVD is advantageous because of its superior compatibility with current generation DVDs and low cost production for ROM disks. This will prove to be a big edge in popularizing HD DVD ROM contents."

SANYO plans to release this key component LSI to the market the second quarter of 2006. With the expected rapid proliferation of products in the consumer electronics field, HD DVD players and recorders that utilize this LSI will quickly appear in the market.

Major Features

1. The HD DVD encoder/decoder circuit, the DVD and CD encoder/decoder circuit and the CPU were all integrated in one chip. This simplified circuitry enables the record and playback of HD DVDs, DVDs and CDs.

2. The newly developed HD DVD digital read channel circuit and adaptive control circuit, enables high quality signal playback for each HD DVD, DVD and CD disk.

3. Successfully made the LSI size compact by integrating the DVD/CD circuit and the HD DVD circuit with the error correction circuit block. By optimizing various signal processing architectures, SANYO achieved full backwards compatibility.

As a result, along with making the overall circuit area smaller, SANYO was able to achieve compatibility with HD DVD, DVD and CD, which will lead to a reduction in costs and lower power consumption.

Specifications

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Newly developed three-wavelength compatible drive LSI

Package 216pin LQFP

Processes 0.18 micrometer CMOS

Power source Analog: 3.3V

Digital: 3.3V (internal: 1.8V)

HD-DVD: playback/record

Functions DVD: +/- R/RW playback/record, RAM playback

CD: ROM, R, RW playback/record

Relevant patents: 17 in Japan and 5 overseas (pending patents

included).

The advantages of blue ray are notable as are HD-dvd, either would be fine by me. I really don't care, what I want is my high def! & of course a player that can play old formats....no one wants to throw away all those old DVD's. by the way, I still have 2 laser disc players and about 30 laser discs collecting dust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.