AVS Forum banner

Does it bother you Toshiba is the "only" CE making HD DVD players?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Kinda

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about any other HD DVD owners, but I'm not at all bothered by the fact that Toshiba is the "only" CE putting out HD DVD players (I say "only" because of the Onkyo player being a rebadged Toshiba player and I assume the Venturer is as well). To me...it makes no difference...since the spec is final and every player must support the same features in order to be recognized as a true HD DVD player, I can't imagine there'd be much difference between manufacturers...maybe faster load times or support for things like DivX/XviD and so on...but those aren't crucial for me.

I'd hate to be stuck in the Blu-ray boat where the manufacturer can decide what audio codecs they want to support, potentially screwing customers out of high definition audio. So yeah...for Blu-ray, more CEs making players is a good thing for competition's sake, but without mandatory specs...it's kind of a crapshoot, eh?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Pioneer produces a lot of Blu-Ray players even though most of the ones that they produce are re-branded.

"Pioneer actually produces more set-top BD players than any other company, charging a manufacturing fee on these products, which are sold under different, undisclosed brand names. Yet players stamped with the Pioneer brand currently barely register at retail, where Toshiba, Sony and Samsung comprised 97% of all high-def standalone sales during the week of Black Friday ending Nov. 24, according to DisplaySearch."

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.a...leid=CA6517157

·
Registered
379 Posts
No. Reference design and components have been around for a good many years now wrt PC component manuafacture. That Toshiba applied reference design and component concepts to HD DVD manuafacturing was good for the consumer. Reference designs and components do not by themselves lead to a single manuafacturer of a completed product.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I voted "kinda" for the same reason that I don't want the format war to end too quickly...competition breeds inovation and keeps everyone honest. On the other hand, who's to say I wouldn't choose Toshiba even if there were other makers? The standalone Blu-ray players from Panasonic, Sony, Samsung etc..seem to have just as many if not more issues than any of the Toshiba HD-DVD players.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why should I? If it was a company like go-video or magnavox then I would care about it lol

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/12990632

No, not when my XA2 is the best disk-player I've ever owned. They don't keep scooping up awards because they're crap.

^^^^^^^^^

Exactly my sentiments. I still have yet to hear this fan noise people complain about. The XA2 is right up there with my Kuro 6010 plasma TV. I love both.

·
Registered
27,093 Posts
Yes. Toshiba players are for the most part fine... But I'd like some better companies driven by highest quality to improve it... Heck, the XA2 still has 24P issues.

HD DVD is an adjunct format.. If you want Paramount / Universal you gotta have one.

I'd like to see a more upscale model. With Denon like build quality and dedication to the high end.

This is an enthusiasts site, pragmatism is out the window.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I voted NO because it seems to me that Toshiba got it right, priced it right, supports it right with every whim of the customer in firmware upgrades continuing for every generation, and provides three ways to upgrade, internet connection, iso download and disc in the mail.

What more could you ask for?

·
Registered
822 Posts
my A1 has been excellent , the newer players can just improve.

Hd-dvd actually has a working platform , and blu does not .

Sorry , I like special features and bang for the buck, besides Ive had great luck with toshiba , and will buy from them ...

I find sony expensive for what you get , and have had a clunker from them...

Bob

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I definitely mind. They are not catering to the real high-end crowd (no, the XA2 isn't even enough for them).

I'd like to see a budget player from a good company that is much better than A3. I'm really disappointed with the slow startup, loading and less-than-ideal maneuvring (fast forward, chapter skip etc, are all slow/jerky compared to a dvd player). It's not exactly an attractive player in my equipment rack either. (of course my ps3 looks even more out of place..)

Some people have brand preferences. They only like Pioneer, Panasonic etc. It often also has to do with getting equipment that esthetically fits together (i.e. receiver is the same design as the hdm player), or special features, like connectors that make it easier to control all the devices of the same brand with one remote etc.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Not after seeing what a mess the other manufacturers made of blu-ray. I can't believe they don't have a full featured player yet. Pathetic.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 /forum/post/12992488

Not after seeing what a mess the other manufacturers made of blu-ray. I can't believe they don't have a full featured player yet. Pathetic.

You know something is wrong when the best player (hands down) for your format is a videogame console. I have a PS3 and other than a few rented BD's skipping/freezing because of scratches I haven't had any issues. On the other hand if you cruise the BD hardware forum you'll never want to buy a standalone..

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
No I don't care if they are the only one.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Doesn't bother me one bit. I love my XA2's!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, it doesn't bother me at all (in fact i prefer it).

At this stage having one CE is the best way for Toshiba to do this (co-ordination, economies of scale, helping adoption rate, etc). Essentially, this makes Hd DVD more reactive to consumer demands in their product. Sure, having more manufacturers could give people the perception that it has more support (those who care about that sort of thing). Has having multiple CEs (rebadges and lower production amounts) really helped BR (other than more bundling deals at retail)? If there were several brands distinctly made that were actually selling well, maybe (i doubt that is the case). In five years when/if HD DVD is still around, it could be troubling (but now this is the best course). i still believe that Toshiba had an advantage with the reference design (once prices stabilize it would be easier for other CEs to jump in).

HD DVD players are better aimed at the mid end of the market. Tosiba doesn't have the reputation of Sony (and many of the other CEs supposedly supporting BR), so they fall into the group of companies i like the mid-tier/upper-lower tier brands that are out to make a name for themselves (not live off past reputation, giving the customer more bang for the buck). i hate to see companies leverage their name for higher prices (for very similar quality). i had good luck with RCA products, with RCA essentially out of the picture i now have selected Toshiba as my lower cost brand for CE (maybe my next computer too). The only slight annoyance, other than 30ish second start up time, is that my Toshiba REGZA remote will not operate my HD A2 (but the A2 remote operates the TV). It should be obvious that i'm not exactly an early adopter/enthusiast (26" 768P HDTV purchased on-line for less than $500 shipped, price was a huge factor chosing HD DVD - a little over $199.99, mid-tier factor was finding something to use an HDMI port before TV's warranty ended, ok i guess i also wanted to replace my 1999 DVD player that still works but has occasional issues - like consistent WS output).

·
Registered
297 Posts
My A3 is superb, not a hang up or hiccup of any sort, and I haven't even updated the firmware, so I vote no. Doesn't bother me at all that Toshiba is at this point the only one. I have heard lots of stories of bugs with BD players and I know two people who bought PS3's and had the BD drive in them quit within a week, so by comparison, to me, the Toshibas have better quality control. Of course there are some issues with HD-DVD as well, I know this, and they're easily found in the HD-DVD forum, but from my experience, and the experience of my own friends, I can't say at this point that I'd get a BD player of any sort. Especially since I have had no issues at all with my A3 and the fact that there is no BD player that is in the same price range as the A3.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes /forum/post/12992410

I definitely mind. They are not catering to the real high-end crowd (no, the XA2 isn't even enough for them).

I'd like to see a budget player from a good company that is much better than A3.
Quote:
I'm really disappointed with the slow startup, loading and less-than-ideal maneuvring (fast forward, chapter skip etc, are all slow/jerky compared to a dvd player).

It's not exactly an attractive player in my equipment rack either. (of course my ps3 looks even more out of place..)

Some people have brand preferences. They only like Pioneer, Panasonic etc. It often also has to do with getting equipment that esthetically fits together (i.e. receiver is the same design as the hdm player), or special features, like connectors that make it easier to control all the devices of the same brand with one remote etc.

I can't resist. I have my first BD 1.1 profile disc playing in my Panny BD10 profile 1.0 player. Sunshine. Load times...can we say the initial Toshiba A1 player load times circa April 2006. The normal folks who are getting these 1.0 profile players are really in for a shock when you put the disc in and it takes about two minutes to load and watch the disc.

On the other hand, the movie is entertaining, just slowwwww to load. I was almost hypnotized by those circular dots going round and round and round....

·
Registered
385 Posts
I voted kinda,as I do love all 4 of my Toshiba HD-DVD players,but it would have been nice to have a bigger choice of players from more than just Toshiba.

But that said,I can live with just Toshi

1 - 20 of 29 Posts