AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very simple question. No explanations required.

If you are an owner of a HD DVD player, are you pleased with the purchase or not?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
It's a keeper.... I'll probably end up buying a Blu-Ray player as well, once they come down in price a bit (read: below $500 like the HD-A1).

Too many DVD players though...

1. HD-A1 for HD-DVD

2. Pioneer ELite 79avi doing 480i over HDMI to DVDO Iscan HD+ for SD-DVD (better upconversion than the HD-A1)

3. Oppo 971H for PAL and non-region 1 DVDs (I have a lot of music DVDs that fall into those categories).

And then add a BR player? YIPES!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Its a keeper. Obviously its not perfect and as newer players come out the functionalities will be improved, but the picture quality is what matters most and it really is first rate.

Andy

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Keeping it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I bought it with reservations. I wanted to test it out with my Sammy HLP6163 DLP. My main criteria was the following...

Quality of HD-DVD (obviously)

Quality of upscaled sd DVD

Could it play DVD-/+Rs well?

Could it play DVD DL +/-Rs well?

As far as the hd-dvd quality, it looks excellent. Surprisingly, the upscaled sd dvd looks wonderful too. That surprised me the most.

It has played all of my DVD-R and +Rs, but I did have an issue with my DL discs. I think it was because I used a cheaper brand (Ritek and Memorex). Ill just get some Verbatim and copy my few to them. That should work fine.

As far as the functionality, it is a bit slow in loading or responding to the commands, but this isnt a huge issue (and maybe can be resolve somewhat by a firmware update??).

Overall, I am very happy and instead of returning it (or selling it), I will be selling my Oppo and replacing it for any DVD watching.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Definitely a keeper

·
Registered
689 Posts
Definitely a keeper. I was firmly in the Blu-Ray camp but seeing is believing. There are a few annoyances (long loads, no resume play or step frame on HD-DVDs) but I'm hoping those can be cured by a firmware update.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thumbs up!!

Beside superb picture quality. This is now my reference CD player. I have a Denon

2900 and the HD-A1 blows it out of the water.

Another surprise is that it plays DVD Audio. If you have not tryed this, you don't know what you are missig.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvhdtv
Thumbs up!!

Beside superb picture quality. This is now my reference CD player. I have a Denon

2900 and the HD-A1 blows it out of the water.

Another surprise is that it plays DVD Audio. If you have not tryed this, you don't know what you are missig.

HDTVHDTV,

How are you streaming the DVD-audio from your player to your receiver? 5.1 analog connections?

·
Registered
457 Posts
sure the thing has its issues long load times, noisy fan, crappy remote and some other minor glitches; but it has mostly to do with the movies i.e. warner as far as the audio problems. I am just waiting for the firmware to fix a lot of these issues. i too have too many players , an elite 79, a toshiba 9200 and now a hd-a1. overall a very good player for the money, and for the people bashing the player what do you expect there are boing to be some bugs for a first gen player just give toshiba time to work out the bugs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Very happy with the player.

·
Registered
23,806 Posts
Just a reminder, this is for owners of an HD-DVD player - or those that purchased and returned the unit.

Also note that this is a public poll. ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Will keep for sure. It probably will go in the bedroom when something else better comes out but its still a keeper.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm keeping mine too. I've also got a 79AVi that I'm keeping for SD Upconversion, although the HD-A1 does a remarkable job, and SACD/DVD-A. My hope is that a Pioneer Elite HD-DVD/BD/SACD/DVD-A universal player comes out within the year or 2 that is $1000 or less.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've been very impressed myself. The only real downer is the lack of HD DVDs, but that is to be expected and will soon be remedied. The upconverted SD DVD PQ really surprised me. I was expecting it to be merely average, but it really is good. It doesn't have the same pop that the Panasonic S77 has, but it has no macroblocking.

1 - 20 of 501 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.