AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has been working on a way to have the usb HD-dvd drive for the xbox 360 to work on the ps3? I know people have gotten them to work with a pc. But I would think this can be done since its a usb version.

·
Registered
571 Posts
No.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
In the long run it could be possible to run PowerDVD in Linux to use the HDDVD drive. The problem right now is that the video hardware of the PS3 is not accesible during linux operation. If that is overcome, then its possible.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolop /forum/post/0

In the long run it could be possible to run PowerDVD in Linux to use the HDDVD drive. The problem right now is that the video hardware of the PS3 is not accesible during linux operation. If that is overcome, then its possible.

Somebody has gotten Windows 2000 Pro running under Linux on the PS3. So I guess if you get the right drivers you can do it now

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The eventual long-term solution to this will be Cell-acceleration in a software player via Linux. Windows XP was actually installed on the PS3 shortly after launch; this Windows 2000 thing is news worthy only in that it was a conscious move to install a less bloated Windows version on the system. Although awesome in its own right, Windows would suffer from the same reliance on the central PPE core for for any player-based decoding.

So... Cell-based playback via Linux will be the eventual route I believe. Should be very doable, just a matter of someone putting forth the effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.