AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know if you only have component HD inputs on your HDTV, you can still enjoy HD-DVD for the time being until the studios start flagging discs.

But my question is, do any HD-DVD players also upconvert SD DVDs over component? I don't think any of them do, but are there any in the pipeline that might.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 /forum/post/0

I know if you only have component HD inputs on your HDTV, you can still enjoy HD-DVD for the time being until the studios start flagging discs.

But my question is, do any HD-DVD players also upconvert SD DVDs over component? I don't think any of them do, but are there any in the pipeline that might.

No player of either format delivers more than 480p for DVD via component outputs. That isn't going to change because that is what the movie studios want.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Some players can upconvert DVD as long as they are not protected by css such as backups.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 /forum/post/0

None of the large companies upconvert over component.

These small companies will not upconvert over component:

VCI

MEDIA BLASTERS

BLUE UNDERGROUND

KINEO

RETROMEDIA

These small companies will upconvert over component:

ANCHOR BAY(a few titles won't)

DARK SKY

ROAN FILMS

LUMIVISION

MARENGO FILMS

ALPHA VIDEO

SIMITAR

TRITON

BARREL ENTERTAINMENT

ELITE ENTERTAINMENT

MONDO MACARBRO

DISCOTEK

SYNAPSE

and I'm sure there's more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only SD DVD that upscales over component on my XA2 is "Diana Krall - Live in Paris". Her later DVD, "Live at Montreal Jazz Festival", doesn't.

Whoever finds a way around this - software hack? I will be a customer, as re-burning them with the CSS stripped off is NOT a practical answer for me - and my NEC 6PG Plus CRT projector needs RGB in, which I feed by component thru a component to RGB transcoder.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There was a thread in the CRT PJ forum where they were discussing a new add on external video processor that will accept HDMI strip out the HDCP and output via component.

However likely it'll be prohibitively expensive unless you've got a ton of money into your analog display.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be nice to have a all-in-one player for us component folks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The HD-A1 will upconvert over component if one removes the copy protection from the DVD's via computer. The resultant image is very good. Much better than a $1000 Sony DVP999es from a few years back.

I have observed animated flix that "feel" like HD on a 38" widescreen but film-based movies are obvious up-converts (particularly the resolution deprived long shots) but they still look excellent.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I've seen this unit for sale and I'm considering buying one for my Pioneer Elite PRO 610HD which has only component inputs. I'm looking at buying an HD DVD or BD player this year and would like to be able to use the upconverting feature from all my standard DVD's. It looks like this may be the only way to accomplish that. This is a big problem for all of us early adopters with 1st and second generation HD ready CRT sets that we paid a big chunk of $ for. This unit takes the HDMI signal and converts it to VGA or component. Does anybody have one of these?

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 /forum/post/9536845

I've seen this unit for sale and I'm considering buying one for my Pioneer Elite PRO 610HD which has only component inputs. I'm looking at buying an HD DVD or BD player this year and would like to be able to use the upconverting feature from all my standard DVD's. It looks like this may be the only way to accomplish that. This is a big problem for all of us early adopters with 1st and second generation HD ready CRT sets that we paid a big chunk of $ for. This unit takes the HDMI signal and converts it to VGA or component. Does anybody have one of these?

Got one today, and it didn't work on my Pioneer Elite Pro 510 HD on 1080i . It would show an annoying color banding/ghosting during the upconversion. I also tried it on my Toshiba DLP, and it only worked on 720p, not 1080i on it too. But, it worked fine on a Vizio I had (but it already has HDMI, so no need). Bottom line, I think this thing works for many people, but I had no luck on the two machines I'd want to use it on. See some of the other people's "works great" and "doesn't work" stories over here--I don't think I have a bad unit because I have symptoms like many others, unless they have some sloppy quality control...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858154

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger445 /forum/post/13143202

Got one today, and it didn't work on my Pioneer Elite Pro 510 HD on 1080i . It would show an annoying color banding/ghosting during the upconversion. I also tried it on my Toshiba DLP, and it only worked on 720p, not 1080i on it too. But, it worked fine on a Vizio I had (but it already has HDMI, so no need). Bottom line, I think this thing works for many people, but I had no luck on the two machines I'd want to use it on. See some of the other people's "works great" and "doesn't work" stories over here--I don't think I have a bad unit because I have symptoms like many others, unless they have some sloppy quality control...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858154

You may want to try one of these:

http://www.ambery.com/duhdtocovico.html

I have heard they work quite well, and you get a lot more bang for your buck (for the same price) over that other model. I was/am in the market for just this type of thing (hdmi to component conversion so as to allow sd upconversion) for use with my vpl 10, but with 1080p prices dropping so much, and that I'm due for a bulb very soon, considering a new pj is almost a no brainer for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.