AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished watching Superman in HD from the Xbox download store (not a very good movie). Has anyone watched this movie in HD DVD or BD on the same TV to compare quality?

I watched on a 42" Vizio 720P plasma and I'm debating getting the HD DVD add-on. I'd like to know if the picture would look the same, better or worse. I wasn't really blown away by the picture quality. It looked good-- just not the jump I had expected. I had good luck downloading the movie, so unless HD DVD is a big step up in picture quality vs download, I'll probably stick with DVD while they keep adding movies to the movie store.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe 720p is the reason? As far as I'm aware, HD movies from XBL are encoded in 1280x720, while HD DVD movies are in 1920x1080.

I assume you would need a 1080 TV to notice a more distinct difference?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've also been wondering this. I also have a 720p tv and was wondering if it would be worth it getting an HD player (hd drive addon or blue-ray).

I've had some indicate it would be worth it, but just keep thinking that regular upconverted dvd's will look good enough for quite some time, at least until I get a 1080p set.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
What about sound? Is it only in DD5.1 from Market Place?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paudemge /forum/post/0

I've also been wondering this. I also have a 720p tv and was wondering if it would be worth it getting an HD player (hd drive addon or blue-ray).

I've had some indicate it would be worth it, but just keep thinking that regular upconverted dvd's will look good enough for quite some time, at least until I get a 1080p set.

That's my opinion. Going from HD stations to a DVD is no big deal to me. Going from DVD to BluRay wasn't a huge deal to me. Noticable? Sure. Worth me spending more money right now? Not to me.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hd-Dvd is far superior by my standards, even on a 720p set. THere is a sort of motion strobe, or frame sticking that xbl downloads can get too. It isn't there in HD-DVDs. The compression on the DL's is much higher, and the artifacts are far more prevalent. They are almost not existant on HD-DVD titles.

The downloads are cool, but for HD fuzzyness HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hd-dvd is superior compared to the downloaded stuff, even on 720p sets. Just the higher bitrate Hd-dvd provides over teh downloaded stuff will make the movies much better, not to mention all the advanced audio support it provides if you have the equipment.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Also with the HD-DVD, you don't have to pay $6 everytime you want to watch a HD Movie. I just rent online from Blockbuster. Great for getting all the HD movies I want to see. I only buy the one's I like.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdon00 /forum/post/0

wont these movies look good on 1080i?

with the hd dvd and vga cable, at 1080i i think they look awesome.

Of course they do. Ignore the newbie 1080P nonsense.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I would also like an answer to this question from someone who has had the opportunity to compare the HD-DVD/bluray version with the Xbox download version. Anyone?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 /forum/post/0

Of course they do. Ignore the newbie 1080P nonsense.

It isn't nonsense. Even on a 40 incher I can see a noticeable difference between 720p material and 1080p material. even if you are viewing at 1080i and it looks fantastic you still have to realize that you are watching a 720p source upscaled to 1080i. I'm not here saying that the 720p stuff that the 360 can have is horrible, it is just obviously a little more compressed and a lower resolution than it's HD-DVD or Blu-Ray counterparts.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmafightetnow /forum/post/0

not worth ur money cause you don't have a 1080p tv.

wow... your saying watch 480p stuff unless you have a 1080p tv? wow common man... 1080p isnt the be all end all. 720p on a smaller set is just fine and ANYONE wont notice a difference unless u like to stand next to your tv while your watching.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.