1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
So are we now looking at a HD-DVD $1000 Toshiba player with limited library a few months before a $400 PS3 with BRD player and starting library? I mean, ha ha, how does HD-DVD expect to do anything once PS 3 comes out out half the price? Will Toshiba cut the cost in half after a few months? How many customers would go ballistic over that.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I've all but given up on both!!!

I'll sink my hard earned money on an XBox 360 now and keep buying DVDs.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red
So are we now looking at a HD-DVD $1000 Toshiba player with limited library a few months before a $400 PS3 with BRD player and starting library? I mean, ha ha, how does HD-DVD expect to do anything once PS 3 comes out out half the price? Will Toshiba cut the cost in half after a few months? How many customers would go ballistic over that.

Looks like my first BluRay player will be the PS3, just like my first DVD player was the PS2 way back in the day.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Quote:
So are we now looking at a HD-DVD $1000 Toshiba player with limited library a few months before a $400 PS3 with BRD player and starting library? I mean, ha ha, how does HD-DVD expect to do anything once PS 3 comes out out half the price?
do that many HT enthusiasts use their PS2s to play movies on their large displays now? who on earth would be compelled to pay over $500 for a dvd player now?

i think the availability of the PS3 will have a great impact on the sales of PS3 compatible games- but if people are spending their money on games, thats less money they have to throw at a premium priced movie.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Early 06 or late 06 doesn't matter. My DVD buying days are over. What's a few months and $1K to $500 to a man who loves his shiny new toys :p

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Smells like a format-war troll........and an uninformed one at that.

PS3 is vaporware, its 2006 debut has already been commented that it might slip to 2007, and Sony has stated the unit is much more than a gaming system: Read that as "Its going to be much more expensive, which is why we'll market it as a Home Entertainment system and not just a $200 game system". Expect High prices.

Personally, if the PS3 comes with a bluray drive, I wouldn't expect to see it on store shelves for less than $600 bucks, and $800 dollars makes more sense to me. Hardcore gamers (read: adults) will find a way to pay for it, they way they find a way to pay for 5.1 surround systems and $2000+ TV's.

Unless Sony and its licensed partners plan on putting out BluRay on the shelves starting at a $200 or $300 pricepoint, they'd have to make the PS3 priced above that initially or else nobody would bother with a regular Bluray player, and Sony isn't about to undercut the companies who are supporting it in a format war and who paid them nice, juicy licensing fees to manufacture the blu-ray tech.

Historically, "new technology" always debuts in the >$1000 range, so that the company can maximize their profits with all the early adopters. Then as sales begin to not meet expectations, they will slowly begin to drop the price.

A HD-DVD player at $1000 seems logical, but it sounds like there is some real hesitation now as companies are seeing the folly in a format war.

Look at DVD-A and SACD......neither format has thrived at all because for the most part people can't tell the difference on their $200 stereos, and having two formats and having to buy 2 players (or 2 hybrid) players, and hook them up with special analog cables, people were like "Screw that...".

Now we're seeing customers complaining about a looming format war, and it seems even the companies are hesitant to throw all their boats in the water at first..... who knows! :p

I'm glad I'm in no hurry to rush to HD optical formats.......when the 1080p projectors get in the $1500 range, then I'll be ready to bite.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Will the ps3 even play blu ray MOVIES. I mean I've not seen anything saying it will. Sure it has a blue-rat drive but that may just be for games. They could pull an xbox and requre an adaptor or firmware update via a download or disc.

But sonys never won a format war sowho knows if they will win this one. Persnaly I don't care who wins I'd rather not have a format war as then I can buy a new player right away. Even then the first genration players will be crap. The ps3 will proboly be like the ps2 and get disk read errrors after 6mounths to a year. Also other players will not do as much. I'd guess their will be new hddvd formats put out. I've heard blu ray is expermenting with upto 8 layers.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
HeadRusch:

1) one analyst said it is possible that Sony pushes it to 2007 if the 360 does badly, not a very compelling argument to attack something

2) yes the PS3 will be expensive, Sony has said that. Can you give me the definition of expensive? is 1000$ for a car expensive is 100$ for running shoe laces expensive? Considering you can buy a PS2/Xbox for 100$ , lets say 300$ for a 360, my guess is 400-500$ can be considered expensive. Who knows what it will be

3) even if you assume 600-800$ isn't it still a lot less then the 1000$ HD-DVD player

4) I disagree the PS3 needs to be more expensive then other player/recorders. The guy that would buy a 1000$ player is the guy that does not mind paying for quality or they would buy a DVD player. Might some people say the PS3 is good enough at 500$? yes, my guess the same person that would have probably not paid 1000$ and would wait for thye tech to come down to 500$

5) no one is supporting Sony in this format war. Sony is just one of the players, this is as much Sony as Philips, Panasonic, Samsung, JVC, LG, BenQ......

6)
Quote:
Historically, "new technology" always debuts in the >$1000 range,
where does that come from. New techs have come in at whatever price people can charge some are more then 1000$ some less

7)
Quote:
I'm glad I'm in no hurry to rush to HD optical formats.......
typical, how come it is the people that are not planning to buy that complain the most and make up stuff. Can it be sour grapes?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Will the ps3 even play blu ray MOVIES. I mean I've not seen anything saying it will.
yes, Sony said it will and it is in the specs. Look in the gaming forum someone had linked to it

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
3) even if you assume 600-800$ isn't it still a lot less then the 1000$ HD-DVD player
Awww, but that is where the problem lies in my book. 600 dollars for just a player that plays Bluray. Then I need another 1000 for a player that plays HD-DVD. :eek:

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
PS

Big Worms: how is it Sony's fault?

this thread was about HD-DVD being delayed and it much slower to ramp up. At this point (even though i don't believe it) if Toshiba does manage to put a couple of players out this year there will be no movies. Kid red responds bad news for HD-DVD, it takes away its "earlier to market" advantage. And then all **** broke loose

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
This is good news, actually. It means I don't have to go out and buy another HD display that I've been thinking about for months, eyeing at since last weekend, etc.

Now the CEA can complain that HD display sales will drop off with this latest news. I'll be damned if I am going to buy an HD display for D*'s HD-Lite, as that is what SD displays can be used for.

Time to go buy a motorcycle!

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
1) one analyst said it is possible that Sony pushes it to 2007 if the 360 does badly, not a very compelling argument to attack something
I'm playing point/counterpoint. "its going to be here in six weeks, no it might not be here until 2007" etc. We're both talking out our butts because its just speculation on both sides...

Quote:
2) yes the PS3 will be expensive, Sony has said that. Can you give me the definition of expensive? is 1000$ for a car expensive is 100$ for running shoe laces expensive? Considering you can buy a PS2/Xbox for 100$ , lets say 300$ for a 360, my guess is 400-500$ can be considered expensive. Who knows what it will be
....and your point is....? Someone is suggesting $400, I'm thinking closer to $800.

Maybe $600 is more reasonable......if I had to price it, based on game console and "new technology format" history, I'd put it in that range...but $400? That borders on crazy to me. The blue-ray movie abilities would put the device in the $500+ range right off the bat, then add in the PS3 architecture.....I dunno, $400 would be giving it away.

Quote:
Sure....again, whats the point? We dont have to debate which format is superior.....thats irrelevant. The easist way to discuss a format-war is to find out which movies you'll not be seeing on blu-ray, and vice versa. Then you can decide which is right for you. If sony puts out a $200 PS3 that plays Blu-Ray movies, but that stack of movies you want to watch is only avaialble on HD-DVD...guess what.

Quote:
4) I disagree the PS3 needs to be more expensive then other player/recorders. The guy that would buy a 1000$ player is the guy that does not mind paying for quality or they would buy a DVD player.
Um....what?

Quote:
Might some people say the PS3 is good enough at 500$? yes, my guess the same person that would have probably not paid 1000$ and would wait for thye tech to come down to 500$
Sorry, I'm not seeing your arguement here. I suggested that the PS3 would have to be priced higher than stand-alone blu-ray players simply because its more than a blu-ray player, its a PS3.

So if you're selling a PS3 with the ability to play blu-ray movies in the $500-$600 range, that means that your stand-alone blue-ray players are going to need to be priced in the sub $500 range (probably significantly less) or else people aren't going to bite. Sure, there will be people who will only buy the $2000 top-of-the-line Blu-Ray stand alone player, but those people aren't the norm.

New Technology is all about getting people to adapt it as quickly as possible, which means competitive pricing and reasons for people to put the thing in their homes.

Quote:
where does that come from. New techs have come in at whatever price people can charge some are more then 1000$ some less
Early CD Players: $1000, within a year there were models less than $300 bucks.

Early DVD Players $1000, within a year there were models less than $300 bucks.

Early Progressive Scan DVD Players: $1000, etc.

Early VHS players....this I can't recall since I dont remember the VHS players of the 1970's, I only remember VCR's becoming popular in the early to mid 80's and by then they were front loaders costing a few hundred bucks each.

The truth is that HD-DVD formats wont be widely adopted because most people dont even have the hardware to run them. Secondly those that do have the hardware to run them might not see enough visual difference to warrant their purchase of new hardware AND the movies they probably already own on DVD all over again. People with 55" or smaller displays might not be so inclined to go HD if they sit 10 feet away from the screen...

The format war only compounds things. Sony is probably going to try to get as much $$$ from the early adopters as possible, which would make sense. Since they know they aren't going to get the same "Wave of people jumping on HDDVD" the same way they got people to give up VHS in favor of DVD.

Now when you start talking about players not even working with TV's that dont have some form of HDCP built in (like my 4 year old 65" HD SET) then you eliminate ANOTHER segment of your already limited segment of potential customers. They have an uphill battle I think. BluRay and HDDVD alike..

Quote:
typical, how come it is the people that are not planning to buy that complain the most and make up stuff. Can it be sour grapes?
Why is it that people who are infatuated with technology can't accept anyone daring to challenge or discuss it? :)

I'd gladly jump on the HD or blu-ray bandwagon if I knew the technology would support my 65" HD set (which it probably wont), my front projector is 480p and thats fine for me now. In another year or two I'll upgrade my FP to a 720p or 1080p model and then I'll have a better reason to move up in rez.

There are people out there who will buy HD-DVD and Blu-Ray so they can watch movies on their 27" Widescreen HD set in HD.

I'd consider those people idiots, but who the hell am I to argue with what a person wants to do.........

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
PS

Big Worms: how is it Sony's fault?

this thread was about HD-DVD being delayed and it much slower to ramp up. At this point (even though i don't believe it) if Toshiba does manage to put a couple of players out this year there will be no movies. Kid red responds bad news for HD-DVD, it takes away its "earlier to market" advantage. And then all **** broke loose
Oh I am not saying it is Sony's fault. But still having these issues with 2 formats is why I believe you are seeing delays.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Paulidan: if you look at PSP and UMD you will find out you are wrong. I am assuming like you that a stand alone BR player will be better, and that is why I am planning to get one, but the point is people that buy gaming mashines for gaming decide to try out the movie functionality by buying movies. Look at UMD sales, they are sky rocketing and are on par with games sales. Part of it might be that movies are cheaper. Like Kid Red I think the PS3 puts a lot of BR players in a lot of peoples homes more then HD-DVD or BR can do. And ooner or later the guy that bought a PS3 for gaming will say "what is 5$ or 10$, I was going to buy X on DVD, but let's try this BR thing people are saying it is better". Or at the rental store "should I rent the BR version or DVD, lets go BR it is only 1$ (or .50$ more)".

that is wher the PS3 is a big advantage to BR

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.