AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I own either, but I remember that Nintendo faced a lot of skepticism prior to launching the Wii, from potential consumers to 3rd party game publishers. And it was certainly warranted given their track record since the N64 through the GC of low hardware sales and dismal performance of 3rd party titles that most publishers simply stayed away.

HD DVD faced skepticism from before it launched due to the studio support behind it. Who would buy a player for one exclusive studio?

Now that both have launched, and the Nintendo Wii has sold over 6 million worldwide and trouncing the competition, especially the over-priced PS3, 3rd party publishers are tripping over themselves to announce titles for the system, whether they are ports of games released on other platforms or new content made just for the Wii. They are no longer intimidated by the Wii's own exclusive studio, Nintendo. Apparently 6 million consumers world wide and growing at about a million per month is just too many potential customers for 3rd parties to ignore, regardless of 3rd party softwares sales on the last two systems. Not to mention that the ports, especially of PS2 games, don't cost an awful lot of money to produce. Who would have thought that Manhunt 2 (by RockStar no less) would not release on the XBox360 or PS3, but rather on the Wii (and PS2)?

My point is that HD DVD seems to be on the same path, just more slowly because the costs of HD DVD are still more than the Nintendo Wii and have been for all of it's product cycle since launching last April. Not to mention they each have the same principal competition, the PS3. It wasn't until just recently that HD DVD hit $250 and we all saw what happened to the sales of the A2, especially at B&M Costco and online at Amazon. HD DVD will also hit $200, $150, etc. before the Wii does, and we know how hot the Wii sells at $250.

So if this last week or so was day one of HD DVD being available for $250 (with more price drops coming before 2008), and Nintendo sold 6 million Wiis in 6 months at that price, I can see HD DVD moving millions of players in the next 12 months.

From there, I will let the readers finish the analogy between HD DVD and the Wii.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Not the same level of buzz, but buzz nonetheless.

While I can't see the war ending by now and this time next year, a couple of milllion players sold is very much a possibility.

Quote:
it'd have nothing worth watching.

No, no, you're thinking of the ps3.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
DOn't see your point. The Wii is an underpowered competitor to XBOX 360 and PS3 that is not even close from a techology standpoint. HD-DVD and BLue-Ray are virtually identical, at least the same movei if created from the same master should perform exactly the same on either platform.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith /forum/post/0

If HD-DVD was anything like the Wii, it'd have nothing worth watching.

But it would usher a new era of movie watching where people manically wave their arms around for 20-30 seconds at a time.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Not even close.

If HDDVD was 480i DVD with a fancy controller, and called itself "next gen" quality and everyone bought it, then we would have the same situation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen /forum/post/0

DOn't see your point. The Wii is an underpowered competitor to XBOX 360 and PS3 that is not even close from a techology standpoint. HD-DVD and BLue-Ray are virtually identical, at least the same movei if created from the same master should perform exactly the same on either platform.

The point is that now that HD DVD can be had at the same price as a Wii, it may chart in sales very similar. HD DVD didn't have buzz because the prices were still up there, way beyond what J6P is going to pay for any consumer electronics other than an HDTV. Now that the price has fallen to $250, units are really beginning to move.

Also there was uncertainty about the HD DVD format in general. Don't forget though there was probably even more uncertainty about the Wii, especially prior to the unveiling of the name and the controller. In fact, people were more certain that the Revolution as it was then called would be Nintendo's swan song as a hardware manufacturer. Look what happened to all the uncertainty now.

Publishers who shunned Nintendo systems (like RockStar), who stated that their games would not be appearing on a Nintendo system (not including the DS) are all of a sudden getting in line to produce content for the system. Smart business people don't ignore millions of customers. Smart business people don't leave money on the table.

At $250 (and less), millions of people will buy into the HD DVD format, assuming my analogy is correct. By then, it doesn't matter what 3rd party companies have publicly stated regarding not producing for HD DVD, they will get in line to produce video games for HD DVD. Wait, HD DVD players don't play video games, do they?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
And yet the argument all the time from the Sony camp has been a technical one.

* Larger discs with more layers

* Better DRM

* 1080p

All of these are theoretical, and have had nearly zero effect on movie quality (and therefore enjoyment) nor on content protection, but that's been Sony's argument, expertly parroted by Best Buy drones and other paid shills.

The analogy makes several very valid points:

1. The winning platform is not always the most technically advanced.

2. Marketing dollars don't always win out.

3. Consumers have a limit for a toy that is currently somewhere between $199 and $299 for most people. The PS3 is outside this zone, as are all other Blu Ray players. HD-DVD is just entering this zone.

4. Content providers will happily switch when there are millions of platforms to sell content for.

The only point on which it fails is:

1. Content is king. In the gaming industry, the second complaint immediately following the PS3s high price is that there are no good games for it. Wii has tons of really fun games. With studio support heavily on the Blu-Ray side, this is not the same scenario. But, as we see with #4 above, all it takes is HD-DVD players for $169 at Wal-Mart on Black Friday and that will change in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have the Wii, HD-XA1, 360 and LOVE all of them, best format investments I have made to date!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX /forum/post/0

No he's right. It's the Wii he's thinking of.

Well I have Zelda to play on my Wii(and sports). For my PS3 I have Lair in 1 month.

No it's both.

HD DVD has plenty of good software.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX /forum/post/0

No he's right. It's the Wii he's thinking of.

I thought it was the PS3 that has like 7 games out for it, and only one of them is any good?

·
Registered
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen /forum/post/0

Hd-DVD and blu-ray were not marketed as identical. Blu still cost more to make, the players cost more, so the blu team couldn't help but point out as best they could why blu was better to justify the price increase over hd-dvd (The disc hold more storage space, etc.)

But now what we see is that hd-dvd and blu both are great formats, with, IMO hd-dvd having the lead for reasons I won't mention.

So when you have a format whose players cost twice as much, but from an entertainment standpoint, both satisyfing buyers, that to me sort of parallels the Wii PS3 360 comparisions. Because a product that cost so little, which was not apparently as technologically advanced as the competition, actually, from an entertainment standpoint, is just as entertaining as it's competitors. Granted some will find the wii to be more fun than the ps3 or 360, and some will hate it, but on average, it is a great deal of fun, and actually a very advanced device, despite it's very average graphics and small price compared to the competition.

So I do see the op's point, and I agree with it. It's just a generalization. People disagreeing with the OP seem to me to be focusing too much on the specifics.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_avenger /forum/post/0

lol at Nintendo haters. The Wii blows the PS3 out of the water gamewise and has just as many good games as the 360 already.

whoa whoa whoa... slow down there.

I own a Wii, and I thoroughly enjoy it. But "just as many good games as the 360" is WAY over the top. If you count EVERY game released on the Wii, it doesn't match the quality titles available on the 360 so far.

Hopefully the coming months will help remedy that a little, but still, far far off.

(Can't wait for MP3 and SSB:B personally)

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:

lol at Nintendo haters. The Wii blows the PS3 out of the water gamewise and has just as many good games as the 360 already.

Strictly my opinion but I'd say the PS3 has more good games than the Wii. Unless you love mini game collections, and the Wii has plenty of those, the best games are Zelda & Paper Mario.

And it's not even a close race between the 360 and the Wii as far as who has the most "good" games. Not close at all.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
HD-DVD doesn't remind me of the Wii at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru /forum/post/0

I thought it was the PS3 that has like 7 games out for it, and only one of them is any good?

You are highly misinformed. IGN and gamespot are good places to start getting a accurate picture if you care.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:

Granted I have a 360 (on my 2nd) and PS3. I don't have a Wii but I have friends that have Wii's and have experienced games from all three. IMO the Wii has the weakest line up by far.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts