AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read an interesting study by Adams Media Research that has data supporting the fact that when it comes to standalone players, HD DVD is outselling BR by a 5-1 margin. They claim that the larger BR number is mainly from sales of the PS3.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070115-8625.html

Quote:
HD DVD opens up early lead with standalone players, consoles different story

1/15/2007 9:38:25 PM, by Jacqui Cheng

Is there an early winner in the next-gen format war between HD DVD and Blu-ray? New data from Adams Media Research says that about 695,000 consumers in the US own either a Blu-ray or HD DVD player. Upon first glance, it appears as if the players are selling relatively well and that Blu-ray is winning the format war. Making sense of the data, however, is difficult.

President and Senior Analyst Tom Adams spoke with Ars Technica concerning his firm's findings, which were first published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. According to Adams Media Research, roughly 425,000 of the 695,000 next-gen players sold recently are Blu-ray playersabout 61 percent of units in the wild. Comparatively, HD DVD accounts for 270,000 units, or roughly 39 percent. Presented this way, Blu-ray looks to have a significant lead.

Yet only 25,000 of those Blu-ray players were purchased as standalone units (that is, dedicated Blu-ray players), with the other 400,000 coming in the form of the Sony PS3. The big question here is whether or not PS3 purchases are signs of consumer interest in Blu-ray, per se. Compare this situation to HD DVD: 120,000 units were purchased as standalone players, with another 150,000 units coming in the form of HD DVD upgrade kits on Xbox 360s. (The Xbox 360 does not come with HD DVD, but a $200 HD DVD addon appeared on the market shortly before the 2006 holiday season.)

All told, a hair over 79 percent of all next-gen DVD players are tied to gaming consoles in some way or another. That means that so far, only 21 percent of next-gen players sold were bought by consumers as standalone units. Further, sales of HD DVD standalone units outpaced Blu-ray units by nearly 5 times as many units, comprising almost 83 percent of standalone purchases versus Blu-ray's 17 percent of the same. Presented this way, HD DVD appears to have more momentum than Blu-ray.

In either case, standalone sales are still not stellar, although Adams told Ars that low standalone numbers did not necessarily mean that there was weak demand for the players. "[HD DVD and Blu-ray] standalone (non-game) lagged last year mainly because of supply issues, not demand," he told Ars. "Components, especially the new blue-laser diodes, were in short supply, and Sony in particular diverted as much as it could get to the PS3," Adams said.

"Game machines are typically adopted at much faster rates than consumer electronics productstens of millions of homes in 3-4 years versus millions," Adams continued. "Yes, there is some hesitation [to buy standalone units] because of the format war, but the target market of early adopters typically buys most new technologies soon upon availability, even if there's the chance they'll be obsoleted eventually."

So who is really winning the next-gen format war? Sales in 2007 are likely to solidify numbers for both formats, although HD DVD looks to be getting off on a better foot for now judging by standalone player sales. On the flipside, market research firm Forrester recently said that they believe that Blu-ray will be the winner in the long run due to the greater volume of available content in Blu-ray format. There has also been a question of whether hybrid players would put the war to rest or just offer a convenient alternative for indecisive customers while the format war rages on.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones /forum/post/0

I already owned an HD-DVD player and waited for the PS3 instead of buying a stand alone BR player so this survey does not mean squat... Also, BR came out much later than HD-DVD so it is not apple to apples.

So because the article doesn't match with your own personal reasons for buying it doesn't mean squat?

Umm... right.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/0

So because the article doesn't match with your own personal reasons for buying it doesn't mean squat?

Umm... right.

It means that just about everyone who has been switching or become dual format on most of these threads has stated that they bought the PS3 as their player. It makes it very hard to judge these things. Obviously since HD dvds arent outselling BD dvds by 5 to 1 margin that there are more than a few people using the PS3 as a BD player.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway /forum/post/0

oh oh, I've heard this one before. Is this the part where someone comes in and says something like: 'if you bought it for movies only it counts as a stand-alone.' ?

I don't get the obsession with standalone units. What insight does this tell you exactly? I bought the PS3 because it isn't a stand alone. It's multi-functionality makes it an extremely attractive bargain for me. So far I've used it for music, to display pictures, I've bought blu-ray movies and a game. I imagine very few people who bought the PS3 won't also use it as a very capable blu-ray player.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones /forum/post/0

I already owned an HD-DVD player and waited for the PS3 instead of buying a stand alone BR player so this survey does not mean squat... Also, BR came out much later than HD-DVD so it is not apple to apples.

huh? HD DVD came out alone with Toshiba, BD came out days later with Samsung, then Philips, Panasonic, SOny and Pioneer? BD should outselling HD DVD 5:1 not the other way around

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi /forum/post/0

huh? HD DVD came out alone with Toshiba, BD came out days later with Samsung

Months. Not days. (well, technically yes - seventy days).

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
I think the icky number here is 25,000 stand alone Blu-ray sales.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It isn't an "icky" number. This is just another out of many speculative articles that amounts to guess work.

You can't discount the PS3 and - especially - the 360 Add-On. The 360 add-on could be considered a "standalone" to the degree that the article is utilizing the term for. You can't play games on the 360 add-on.

Personally, I would be surprised if Sony's dream of the PS3 driving Blu-Ray software comes true, but I base that on nothing other than pure opinion based on my perceptions of the average consumer.

The article poses the "big question" - whether or not the PS3 is being used as a Blu-Ray player. But, it can't answer it. So, what's the point?

Software sales will help tell the story... if they are ever made public.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th St. /forum/post/0

I don't get the obsession with standalone units. What insight does this tell you exactly?

Its been repeated over and over and over and over here, if you don't already know then chances are you simply don't want to hear the answer.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty /forum/post/0

I think the icky number here is 25,000 stand alone Blu-ray sales.

I'd agree with this, with so much CE support for Blu-ray being bragged about as an advantage I am very surprised this number is so low.

Regardless though I think stats on software sales is what will define how much of a benefit the PS3 is to Blu-ray.

Two stats that I would like to see compared are total software sold for both formats and attach rates for each formats including the PS3.

Amazon stats show BR and HD as very close to each other in sales ratings and BR has millions of units out more then HD counting the PS3, then doesnt that greatly reduce of the attach rates per machine....

·
Registered
819 Posts
more players means more software sold.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
looks like bd is basically a ps3 only format with very few people buying other hardware.

with the ps3 getting its a$$ kicked by other gaming platforms and not meeting sales projections how long will it be before the few bd "exclusive" studios realise that bd is basically only supported by one gaming device and that one device isn't even particularly popular for its intended use.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=12397

looks like the smaller studios and production facilities have figured this out with most of the smaller outfits supporting hd dvd.

most of the new hi def disk player buyers (

·
Registered
27,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN /forum/post/0

On the flipside, market research firm Forrester recently said that they believe that Blu-ray will be the winner in the long run due to the greater volume of available content in Blu-ray format.

Well, I guess that is the bottom line........

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lagosian - just FYI: that yellow text is unreadable for me without highlighting it - does the opposite to intended purpose (i.e., makes it invisible instead of easier to read).

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I'm not convinced that content alone can save Blu-Ray as their position is very weak right now with sales of standalones very low as well as the PS3 bombing with customers.

I'm sure Sony and Fox are telling everyone that content will win it though, similar to what Disney and Fox said about DIVX if memory serves.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway /forum/post/0

Its been repeated over and over and over and over here, if you don't already know then chances are you simply don't want to hear the answer.

Errr - wrong. I would like to hear a rational explanation that discounts PS3 ownership as blu-ray owners (I for one purchased it for that very reason - everyone I know who purchased uses it to play blu-ray movies as well) - how else do you account for the surge in blu-ray disc sales???. Do so called blu-ray stand alone owners purchase blu-ray movies at a 5:1 ratio of HD DVD owners???

Instead - I get another non-explanation. Everything else that I've seen seems to be pure speculation.

Let me propose an analogy on the other side. I don't know how many DVDs were sold in HTIBs, but I'm sure the whatever group is responsible for promoting DVDs knows that number and counts every one of those buyers amongst DVD owners. Those DVDs weren't "standalone" units. Hell, those systems provided tuners, receivers, 5.1 sound for HD broadcasts, CD playback, etc. Discount them?

1 - 20 of 484 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.