AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know if there will be different standards based on refresh rates for the up and coming HD DVD's. For instance we currently have PAL and NTSC for DVD which have 50 and 60 hz refresh respectively. Will this same be the case for HD DVD or will there be one standard worldwide??

Anyone know?

Terry

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Just read something about that in an editorial in a video trade pub. The editor was lamenting the fact that the EU was about to go with a 50hz standard again when there was really no reason to do so anymore. The thrust of the article was how it was such a missed opportunity: 50 or 60 years of content producers not being able to easily deploy content for both continents, and now it was happening all over again.

So, it doesn't sound good.

SC

EDIT: Found the article. Sorry, it was referring to broadcast, not a disc-based format - but, I'd be surprised if it didn't follow. Note, this is written by a video guy. One point he makes is re: the film industry not "improving motion performance by increasing frame rate from 24fps". That shoots his credibility a little in my mind. I LOVE the look of motion on film and would sorely miss it.

http://broadcastengineering.com/mag/...g_no_hum_bars/

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Interesting article that would imply that when HD is available in Europe there will be a 50Hz standard adapted by broadcasters. But what does that mean for SKY?? and their HD deployment??

Is it possible that countries that use 50hz A/C power need to run 50 hz refresh rates?? I know that for DVHS there was only one standard and that is 60 hz refresh. But I wonder if that is the case for the up and coming HD DVD's??

I guess it's possible that since the production studios will controll the content and since they will need to choose what format they will be embracing (HD-DVD or BlueRay) that they won't even think about getting involved in a different standard for Europe. I guess that really makes sense on who will develop these standards.

But what about OTA and other forms of HD deployment in EU?? Will France have one standard and the rest of Europe another?? And will it be different from what is currently deployed in North America??

Terry

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf
Thanks for your reply. Interesting article that would imply that when HD is available in Europe there will be a 50Hz standard adapted by broadcasters. But what does that mean for SKY?? and their HD deployment??

Is it possible that countries that use 50hz A/C power need to run 50 hz refresh rates?? I know that for DVHS there was only one standard and that is 60 hz refresh. But I wonder if that is the case for the up and coming HD DVD's??

I guess it's possible that since the production studios will controll the content and since they will need to choose what format they will be embracing (HD-DVD or BlueRay) that they won't even think about getting involved in a different standard for Europe. I guess that really makes sense on who will develop these standards.

But what about OTA and other forms of HD deployment in EU?? Will France have one standard and the rest of Europe another?? And will it be different from what is currently deployed in North America??

Terry
It probably has to do with the cost of making TVs. Because we deal with multi-scan devices it does come up much, but most consumer junk is line locked.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
We already have HD based on 50hz here in Australia. I think it's so they can multicast it with the analog broadcast (they multicast it with SD digital as well, but that's another goddam stupid bandwidth sucking issue).

Neither of my last 2 TV's were locked to 50hz. The displayed 60hz for NTSC, despite the 50hz power supply. It's all switch mode stuff nowadays - and TV models are basically global.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
Neither of my last 2 TV's were locked to 50hz. The displayed 60hz for NTSC, despite the 50hz power supply. It's all switch mode stuff nowadays - and TV models are basically global.
TV's here in the US aren't "global", you obviously have a multi-standard TV. They sell them here also, but get much more money.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,

Any issues with flicker displaying 60hz material on a 50hz power supply (I assume your "grid" is 50hz down under??)

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.