AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in the UK and am about to start ordering some films on HD-DVD.

Usually get dvds etc from www.play.com

This site seems Blu Ray biased based on the available titles and the pre-order section. Any other site, in the UK, that does better support for HD-DVD?

Do play.com have some deal with Sony etc?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Mate, I've been buying HD-DVDs since I bought my HD-A1 in September and I've been shocked by the disparity in UK and US prices. Might as well forget UK shops and online operations for the cheapest HD-DVDs as they are several quid more expensive. The place I now buy most of my HD-DVDs from is DVD Pacific . Their delivery times are good - certainly better than Amazon.com and their prices are better than Amazon.com even with the 10% HD-DVD discount applied. Ordering from them I can get most HD-DVDs for about £12 (unless it's a combo) and that includes shipping! A roughly 2-1 rate against the dollar means that it's cheaper for us Brits to import. Long live the strong Pound!

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911lad /forum/post/0

Live in the UK and am about to start ordering some films on HD-DVD.

Usually get dvds etc from www.play.com

This site seems Blu Ray biased based on the available titles and the pre-order section. Any other site, in the UK, that does better support for HD-DVD?

Do play.com have some deal with Sony etc?

I got all my HD-DVDs from play.com with no problems. I have yet to find a title which is out in Europe, but not on play.com. You could check out the UK version of Amazon if you would like to compare?

If you come across another good site, feel free to share

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules /forum/post/0

Mate, I've been buying HD-DVDs since I bought my HD-A1 in September and I've been shocked by the disparity in UK and US prices. Might as well forget UK shops and online operations for the cheapest HD-DVDs as they are several quid more expensive. The place I now buy most of my HD-DVDs from is DVD Pacific . Their delivery times are good - certainly better than Amazon.com and their prices are better than Amazon.com even with the 10% HD-DVD discount applied. Ordering from them I can get most HD-DVDs for about £12 (unless it's a combo) and that includes shipping! A roughly 2-1 rate against the dollar means that it's cheaper for us Brits to import. Long live the strong Pound!

Sorry, you mentioned in your reply "Combo", I am unclear what this is?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911lad /forum/post/0

Combo?

HD-DVD one side of the disc, SD-DVD on the other. They're more expensive - usually by about £5, so reckon on about £17 for a combo. Really, as also another posted said, I would recommend DVD Pacific - I've been impressed by them. Forget Amazon.co.uk as their prices are too expensive. I've bought occasionally from Amazon.com as their 10% HD-DVD discount makes them competitive, but Pacific usually beat them for price (though only by 50p or so) and their delivery is quicker.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers,

I did manage to pick up Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk down on Blu Ray from hmv.co.uk for £12 each on pre-order. Play.com and Amazon had KOH for £27.99

Will check out dvdpacific for the HD DVD films

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmace /forum/post/0

There's nothing bias about Play at all, I buy both formats from there

have a look on HMV.co.uk, they are slightly cheaper than play for HD-DVD & Blu-ray

HMV have been all over the shop when it comes to HD-DVD at least (can't speak for Blu-Ray). At first their prices were reasonable, then they shot them up to match the store prices, and now they have dropped them again. Still not as cheap as DVD Pacific of Amazon.Com. In any case, however, my personal experience of HMV.co.uk with regard to HD-DVDs was one that I won't risk repeating. I ordered Harry Potter HD-DVD from them and six weeks later I still hadn't received it. In the meantime my order status had changed from on special order with suppliers to picking, ready for dispatch, and then back to on order with our suppliers. I rang several times to get a handle on what was going on and (after waiting for 20 mins each time) got a different line from each of the customer service reps I spoke to. The upshot of it was that I eventually cancelled the order. From what I could glean they don't (at least they didn't at the time) hold any stocks of HD-DVDs and had to go to an unnamed wholesaler for them. Said wholesaler rarely had supplies themselves! It was a farce. There's a thread over at AVForums on HMV.co.uk and HD-DVDs and it appears from the contributions that I wasn't just an unlucky customer. My advice would be to stay clear of them, but then again they might just have sorted themselves out since then (Nov-Dec 2006).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've used movietyme a lot too and their service is good and their prices are reasonable, though I would have to say still a tad more expensive than Amazon.Com or DVD Pacific. Amazon.co.uk are just way too expensive for me with the bulk of their HD-DVDs in the the region of £17-23.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.