AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Samsung BD-UP5000 and so far all the HD DVD titles look way better than Blu-ray, strange that Warner dropped HD DVD!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
It all has to do with individual movies. For instance, Transformers on HD DVD will look much better than say....talladega nights on blu ray.

However if your comparing the best looking titles on blu ray to the best looking ones on HD DVD there shouldnt be much of a difference. otherwise your setting are off for you BD player.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you look at all BDM and all HDM, HDM has the best overall PQ. Plus BDM has the highest usage of MPEG2.

...Angelo

·
Registered
711 Posts
I watched my first Blu-ray the other night since going "neutral" and the presentation was on-par with HD DVD. No better, no worse. I think most people (outside of the crazed BD "fanboys") will agree that in terms of PQ & AQ both formats are pretty much equal.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia /forum/post/12886535

I just picked up a Samsung BD-UP5000 and so far all the HD DVD titles look way better than Blu-ray, strange that Warner dropped HD DVD!!

It is a well known fact that the biggest disadvantage of BR is its terrible picture quality. In fact when rating HD DVD versus BluRay, 9 out of 10 dentists agree that HD DVD is far superior.

Seriously though, there should be are no difference with identical movies. They are both ripped to digital and probably are even using the same codec. So there should not really be a difference.... well.

The only thing that I could see is that possibly you are resizing the video maybe to 720p or something and the chipsets are causing the difference that you see.

I would imagine that you would even see a difference between an HD DVD movie at 720p or 1080i between an A3 and an XA2 as the source is 1080p and must be resized

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
The only way to make a fair comparison is to find a release on both formats that has the same encoding (I believe Blade Runner is one such example--Warner should have many) and check them out. Otherwise, there are too many variables that could account for different PQ.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia /forum/post/0

What an insightful post. Tell me, why do people come on here just to stir up trouble like this? This thread will only result in being locked.

-Brad

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913 /forum/post/12886722

If you look at all BDM and all HDM, HDM has the best overall PQ. Plus BDM has the highest usage of MPEG2.

...Angelo

I don't see how using Mpeg2 would give you worse quality. It is a less efficient codec. The more you compress something, the more you lose some quality if storage is not an issue. It should also be easier for the player to player to play them as well.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad /forum/post/12887008

What an insightful post. Tell me, what does a troll eat for breakfast?

-Brad

Is it really trolling, though, if he posted a message in the HD DVD forum about his HD DVDs looking better than his Blu-rays?

Also, calling people "trolls" angers the AVS mods. I've been reprimanded once or twice in the past.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq /forum/post/12887038

Is it really trolling, though, if he posted a message in the HD DVD forum about his HD DVDs looking better than his Blu-rays?

I thought the same thing at first, but I noticed the poster didn't say what movies he is using, display device, etc. Also, the line "strange that Warner dropped HD DVD!!" made me believe that he is here just to stir up trouble as it seems like a direct bash at the opposing format.

FWIW, I support both formats equally.

-Brad

·
Registered
436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq /forum/post/12887038

Also, calling people "trolls" angers the AVS mods. I've been reprimanded once or twice in the past.

Excute him now!

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/12887015

I don't see how using Mpeg2 would give you worse quality. It is a less efficient codec. The more you compress something, the more you lose some quality if storage is not an issue. It should also be easier for the player to player to play them as well.

You'd think that it shouldn't matter - but there are a lot of reviews over at High def Digest (mostly Paramount and early Warner) that rate the HD DVD versions higher, citing the MPEG2 encode of the Blu-ray version, the limiting factor in the PQ.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq /forum/post/12886841

I watched my first Blu-ray the other night since going "neutral" and the presentation was on-par with HD DVD. No better, no worse. I think most people (outside of the crazed BD "fanboys") will agree that in terms of PQ & AQ both formats are pretty much equal.

They are. I have both formats, and they're comparable. The format neutral titles are usually the exact same encodes anyway.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq /forum/post/0

Original post edited to remove insult.

-Brad

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq /forum/post/12887064

You'd think that it shouldn't matter - but there are a lot of reviews over at High def Digest (mostly Paramount and early Warner) that rate the HD DVD versions higher, citing the MPEG2 encode of the Blu-ray version, the limiting factor in the PQ.

I think while it's true that MPEG2 is a far less efficient codec, I hardly trust HDD's opinion. Peter Bracke only reviews for his taste, regardless of director's intent. Is that any way to rate picture quality?

Comparing the same two movies on Bluray and HDDVD proves no difference if the same encode was used on both.

-Brad

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad /forum/post/12887056

I thought the same thing at first, but I noticed the poster didn't say what movies he is using, display device, etc. Also, the line "strange that Warner dropped HD DVD!!" made me believe that he is here just to stir up trouble as it seems like a direct bash at the opposing format.

FWIW, I support both formats equally.

-Brad

I hear 'ya. Warner forced me into neutrality so I'm new to Blu-ray myself. I still avoid the Blu-ray forums (like when I was HD DVD-only) because of all of the nonsense that goes on and I can't say that I support both formats equally. I sill love HD DVD. Blu-ray adoption was done under protest (though I'm glad I did because now I don't have to worry about a winner/loser and whether or not a new release with be exclusive to one or the other).

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Picture quality varies from title to title on both formats. This thread has no merit at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.