AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i now have my toshiba xa2. what a great deck to go with my 1080p projector. however, i'm just going bonkers trying to find good material that is not standard 480 dvd. seems like blue ray titles are just better, more fun. i'll probably end up getting a ps3 just for movies. when will hd dvd bring out the big gun titles?

anyone know what the heck they're waiting for?

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
I share what I think is the original poster's issue. Look at the pretty darn impressive list of BluRay titles for 2007. It's enough to send me shopping for a PS3 in a month or so. HD-DVD could certainly muster an equally impressive list, but...I haven't heard of it yet. Have I missed it?

Given the broad support of HD-DVD by the studios, there is a tremendous potential release list. I like seeing the trend of recent releases starting to kick in, but with things like HP, IJ, LOTR, and so many more (Top Gun would be a personal fun title), there is a huge potential that seems to be lagging.

I have enjoyed all the HD-DVDs so far, but there's a ton of potential that is not tapped yet, and needs to be sooner than later.

·
Registered
25,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b /forum/post/0

i now have my toshiba xa2. what a great deck to go with my 1080p projector. however, i'm just going bonkers trying to find good material that is not standard 480 dvd. seems like blue ray titles are just better, more fun. i'll probably end up getting a ps3 just for movies. when will hd dvd bring out the big gun titles?

anyone know what the heck they're waiting for?

It sounds like you are happy with the BD player and offerings , I'd go with it.

Art

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm an HD-DVD supporter but I agree with what the original poster said...Blu-Ray has more appealing titles. That's not to say HD-DVD doesn't have any...to say it doesn't would be ludicrous. Overall however...Blu-Ray has more impressive one/must have titles with support from Fox, Disney and instant classics from Sony Pictures. Denying that fact is either one being naive or choosing to be a format blind loyalist.

I'm not going to be able to contain myself too long with Spiderman, X-Men, Pixar movies and many more not available on HD-DVD. The PS3 is looking like a very possible buy for me. Blu-Ray's twisting my arm with those titles and future ones. I'm going to be patient....but I'm only so strong. If I just give in so easily...I'm just adding fuel to the format war fire. I want this thing to die out as soon as possible therefore I stick to one......for now. If signs don't show up of the sand possibly settling...I'm going to just have to go out and get the PS3 to have those must have Blu-Ray titles.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The problem is not HD-DVD, it's sony and their exclusivity, they force blu-ray into the PS3, force you to buy blu-ray if you want their titles. Screw that. Most HD-DVD titles are not exclusive. I'm not going to be forced to give sony $600 of my money just because they have some exclusive titles. I'd rather watch them on DVD until Sony caves under studio pressure. Look at the sales charts on amazon, Hd-DVD has been kicking blu-ray in the pants since the start of this format war, if you buy into the accuracy of the chart. More titles are on the way. Check the chart out today:
http://www.hdgamedb.com/amazon/history.aspx

I'm just saying, if blu-ray sales continue to stink, maybe these studios will stop being exclusive, and we can have titles released in both formats, then everyone wins, because then we have competition and we can actually compare the merits of each format on a cost vs. performance ratio. You've got to wow people with the quality, and you've got to make it cheap enough for them to jump in and offer titles they will like. No one is going to win the way it stands now. Blu-ray is too expensive, titles in both formats are inconsistent, you can't get every title on one format. All of these point to J6p sitting on the fence.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
People keep bringing up Spiderman...well, I'll take what I have in hand before something that hasn't been released yet. Plenty of great HD DVDs to be had right now. And, yes, I am a dual format owner.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You know what I just
realized while reading the above posts?

Bullying, came to mind.

The corporate entities & decision-makers responsible for marketing BluRay are now attempting to "derail the train" so to speak......to modify the behavior/thoughts of HD DVD early adopters.......by strongly encouraging them to switch camps......and a secondary objective is (of course) to keep the "ranks" from increasing as well; by employing the exclusivity-tactics & promises (at this point at least) of future members-only privileges.

I'm old school, so I believe you stand up to bullies (with your wallets now), because as most of us learned while growing up, until you do you'll always walk in fear of them, or what they "say/promise"
they'll do.

I love movies in high definition like everyone here, but integrity of character is more important to me than what may or may not be released in either format.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm the op. i don't work for any studio. i believe that i have enjoyed the product of many different studios. i got hd dvd because i think that generally the current players are associated with better pq. so, i'm neutral and i believe that you guys really are too. we just want good material in hd, period. getting this seems to mean titles, not potential. it just seems to me that the hd dvd people are holding back material for something, i don't know what. i'm not familiar with the inner workings of studios, but i feel that every tuesday there should be something fun to watch( or maybe they can develop some other system). it seems to me that the blueray people have taken this approach much more so than hd dvd. hd dvd should get more good titles out more quickly. forget some format war, we should all be asking where's the beef.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think Hd dvd seems to be holding back for some reason.Until they can start putting out new Hd dvd's every Tuesday like dvd the format is going to be slow to grow.They seem to dragging their feet on Harry Potter,Lotr and a lot of other older ones that I would by.At this rate I see them really lagging behind Blu ray in the next few months.I think Hd dvd is to blame for a lot of people owning both formats.They got people hooked on Hi Def dvds but now they can't produce.I have got hooked on Hi Def and if it takes both formats to meet my demands so be it.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rafsta /forum/post/0

I'm an HD-DVD supporter but I agree with what the original poster said...Blu-Ray has more appealing titles. That's not to say HD-DVD doesn't have any...to say it doesn't would be ludicrous. Overall however...Blu-Ray has more impressive one/must have titles with support from Fox, Disney and instant classics from Sony Pictures. Denying that fact is either one being naive or choosing to be a format blind loyalist.

or it could be that my taste skews more towards content like Out Of Sight, The Sting, Deer Hunter, and American Werewolf- than it does Crank, Mr & Mrs Smith, Chain Reaction, Independance Day, and Planet Of The Apes (2001).

there were an awful lot of titles mentioned/announced at CES. Very few of those I've felt a need to even own on a $5 dvd let alone a $35 HD.

So far the wheat-to-chaff ratio has favored HD by a good margin, IMO.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rafsta /forum/post/0

Universal, Warner, and New Line dominate my DVD collection so I would disagree with the "fact" that Sony, Disney, and Fox are putting out better content.

But lucky for me I have players for both and can buy the good releases on either one

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.