AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a HD-DVR streaming device that will work with my Roku Ultra. I know there is a Tivo box that will do it, but I'd rather not pay monthly subscription fees. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looking for a HD-DVR streaming device that will work with my Roku Ultra. I know there is a Tivo box that will do it, but I'd rather not pay monthly subscription fees. Any suggestions? Thanks.
It depends on what you want the DVR for. If you want it for broadcast TV channels "over the air" (OTA) that you receive with an antenna, there is the Tivo Roamio, the Magnavox DVRs, and some things you build out of various boxes and receivers. None of them will record streaming content from any of the Roku channels; they will only record the OTA antenna channels.

Channel Master has a small DVR for OTA coming out, but it's been delayed until the end of February for those who have pre-ordered, and to April for orders placed today. It's called the Stream+, but, like the others, it will not record the streaming channels.

·
Registered
838 Posts
OK let me re-phrase my question. Is there a DVR that will record streaming video?
Not that I know of. I think there are copyright / licensing problems with OTT content so you have to come up with your own solution. I don't know if people are allowed to discuss it here (I don't know of a solution, but there could be some out there).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for reply, but my intention isn't to do anything illegal. But doesn't the Tivo Bolt Vox DVR record streaming video? I guess my OP is still misunderstood. To answer my own question, seems I will have to pay Tivo sub with cable fee.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,415 Posts
But doesn't the Tivo Bolt Vox DVR record streaming video?

You can watch, record from over the air or cable.

However, for streaming services, you can stream (view) but you can not record. This is a licensing limitation between the streaming providers and device manufacturers that access their services, and these services have to impose those restrictions because the content owners (usually the studios) insist on those restrictions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In that case, this article talking about Tivo Roamio on Venturebeat.com is very misleading.

"AT&T currently has a four-tuner box, while DirecTV has a 5-tuner solution.

The number of video sources that Tivo can record is growing. If you’re a cable subscriber, you can record regular cable channels like HBO, NBC, or ESPN, but you can also record shows on streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, and Amazon Prime."

·
Registered
550 Posts
In that case, this article talking about Tivo Roamio on Venturebeat.com is very misleading.

"AT&T currently has a four-tuner box, while DirecTV has a 5-tuner solution.

The number of video sources that Tivo can record is growing. If you’re a cable subscriber, you can record regular cable channels like HBO, NBC, or ESPN, but you can also record shows on streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, and Amazon Prime."
Hard to believe a site that has an article on it's front page today about controversy on a Donkey Kong world record kerfluffle got something wrong on a tech piece. :)

But yes - it's dead wrong. TiVo doesn't record any of those services listed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts