AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to upgrade my dish to get HD onto the 1 compatible television I have, and I ended up replacing all 3 UTVs. When I first called, they told me it would cost $200 for the HD DVR (HR21) plus the cost of shipping the dish. ($20). I said that Dish would give me 3 DVRs for $200 (true). I didn't intend to switch, but I was hoping for a discount. They ended up giving me one box free, and a $75 discount on the second. So 3 receivers cost $325. If I bought 3, they would also waive the shipping and gave a $16/month discount on first year's programming. When the guy came to install (I called Wed. afternoon and they came Fri. morning) he said he would need to run more wires from the dish to the new multiswitch. He then decided the install would be easier if he used HR23 receivers, which support SWM (single line multiswitch). It turned out he only used one line from the dish to a new multiswitch and only used one of the 2 existing wires to each receiver, but the signals are multiplexed onto a sngle wire. (magic) The box has 2 "satellite-in" connections, bur the first one can be an SWM lead. Each box has a 500GB drive plus an eSATA port. I don't keep much of anything, so I never filled up the old 40GB drives.

I played with the receivers today and the interface is poor, compared to UTV, but usable. I miss my sony remote which had a separate power button for the TV. The new one does have a 30 second skip, but it is VERY slow, compared to UTV. Fast forward is really slow forward, and there is no 3-hour jump through the guides.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Have you had previous experience with Tivo DVRs? I assume when you talk of the "slow" fast forward (and rewind I assume)... it's because it's similar to the Tivo in it has like 3 levels of FF. FF,FFx2,FFx3 each are "slow" enough so you can watch things (like commercials) in their entirety. I'd suspect UTV's X15 is probably like the Tivo/DTV DVR's highest speed... No 60X or 300X speeds.

Does the DTV DVR's guide display load noticeably "slow" on screen like it's taxing the Video Card or something? My Tivo is similar. As I recall UTV's Guide was "slow" before OS 3.5, in that it responded slowly to the remote... but the guide was always right there...? Not like it was "downloading" in real time or something.

Anyway, I'm very interested/excited in hearing about this SWM feature. As I've got a an old dual lnb two line service now and most of my receivers have your config with two lines to each unit... (One Bedroom feed is a Single) It would seem that I could get an "upgrade" to service (and dual tuners in my Bedroom?!) with almost no need for rewiring except for a new dish, multi-switch, and an SWM DVR.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no experience with Tivo. I think UTF's 15X is faster than the new one's fastest. Nothing looks like it is taxing the hardware. Nothing is being downloaded. The software is just crappy. I assume the guides are stored on the disk, rather than in memory. It took overnight to build the whole guide, but then I turned it off and unplugged it. I plugged it back in and the guide was still there. It took over 10 minutes to power on, for some reason. There were endless messages about only a few more moments and retreiving data from the satellite. I played with it some more and there is more to hate. The search is more demanding. You need to search for the first word listed in the title. There is no search by date or jump to next Tuesday in the guide. You can either record first run or everything including duplicates. To look at and manage recordings takes LOTS longer. You are right about the cabling. The guy ran no lines and abandoned one line to each tuner and one of the leads from the dish to the new multiswitch. He added something called a power inserter or something like that next to the multiswitch. It plugs into A/C. The dish -> multiswitch cable connects through it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the update. By "downloading" or "taxing" I was just implying a look or impression not any actual limits of the hardware.

Your description of it's "boot up" process is very similar to the Tivo DTV DVRs. Here I get a bit upset when I "reset" my UTVs during a commercial break and it takes like 15 seconds or so to be in "Standby" mode. That several minutes to reboot is one of the biggest drawbacks I find when comparing them to ALL my previous DTV receivers. My standalones took mere seconds to start and acquire a signal. The UTV as mentioned probably less then 30 seconds... Where as the Tivo and DTV DVRs take several minutes everytime...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are DirecTV training videos you can see on youtube. Search for "satellite dish installation swm"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts