AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Toshiba HD-E1 HD DVD player is an amazing, next generation piece of equipment that we predict every household will have in the near future. The Toshiba HD-E1 operates superbly with HD DVD's and also normal DVD's and with extraordinary colours and sound this HD DVD player has set the standard for future models and they sure do have a lot to live up to.'

And since studio support is not an issue in Europe, it's a level playing field and that boded well for the least expensive format.

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/p_repr/T.../37588616.html

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It's certainly a good review, but the thread title seems a bit misleading; saying the HD-E1 IS a big hit implies it has already sold wll, rather than getting a favorable review upon release, which is in fact the case.

That said, it was a very good mvoe to get this launched before the PS3 launch.

·
Registered
571 Posts
same here in switzerland. many stores are sold out yet!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yep the E1 is selling out fast here in England and there seems to be quite a buzz building over HD dvd.The stores have got the toshiba on display and it really does look excellent and drawing a lot of attention.

I'ts about 350 pounds over here compared to the samsung blueray player at about it's cheapest at 750.A lot of stores have them side by side and to my eyes and a lot of over people i know the toshiba seems to be way a head in picture quality.Here in the uk were new to all this hi def and the toshiba e1 is making a really big impact

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD /forum/post/0

same here in switzerland. many stores are sold out yet!!!

People here in this forum, and I think this oversight is prevalent in the USA, that the victory of this formant war will be based mainly on American sales. This is far from the truth. There are BILLIONS of buyers in this world who are not American, and they largely will decide the winner of this format war.

How this HD DVD and Blu-ray players perform saleswise globally is key, since there are no studio advantages for BR outside the USA!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Here in germany the first batch of the player was also sold out within a week. The second batch arrived and the price in onlinestores droped below the magic mark of 500,- while BR players are still at 900,- EUROS (Samsung) and above.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek /forum/post/0

Did anybody in Europe hack the SD-DVD playback on the HD-E1 to be region-free?

This player is very good at upconverting, but its SD-DVD playback in Europe is apparently locked into Region 2.

And how do you know this seeing that you reside in New Jersey?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Now if the BBC would just get onto releasing Doctor Who in HD-DVD...

Really though I love how HD-DVD's aren't region coded. I enjoy a lot of imports from the UK, and I'm glad the player over there is doing well!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Lagosian,

When you say that studio support is not an issue in Europe, is this referring to British and other European filmmakers being free to side with HD DVD and/or BD?

I imagine India's huge Bollywood enterprise would be a terrific feather in the hat of either format.

If so, that's very interesting. I hadn't thought about that. Does anyone else from east of the Atlantic Ocean have any light to share on this such as which studios have indicated or hinted which format they'll back?

Wayne

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN /forum/post/0

People here in this forum, and I think this oversight is prevalent in the USA, that the victory of this formant war will be based mainly on American sales. This is far from the truth. There are BILLIONS of buyers in this world who are not American, and they largely will decide the winner of this format war.

How this HD DVD and Blu-ray players perform saleswise globally is key, since there are no studio advantages for BR outside the USA!

And it won't be Japan.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

Quote:

This player is very good at upconverting, but its SD-DVD playback in Europe is apparently locked into Region 2.

I dun know if I'm the only one, but I find the XA1's SD-DVD playback is better than E1's SD-DVD playback (both at 1080i out). (I have/had both). Granted not on the same title (both region locked), but I find the XA1's picture a bit sharper. The only common disc that I can benchmark both is the HQV disk. The XA1 passes the racing car "Film Detail" test, the E1 does not. Since every one says the E1 does better, I figure I may have some settings to do ...

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN /forum/post/0

your evaluation is correct this is a global war, not just in the usa! studio support for hd will come,i know for a fact at the ces show some bd companys admitted hd was better, but if they stay the course, hd will go away,and it wont matter,that sounds like that bush guy,and the way he thinks .lets see hd has mpeg4,avc,vc-1,hdmi 1.3 dd true hd,dd plus,and had it right from launch!,bd .... will give you true hd audio next,year then avc/vc-1 the following year,there milking us!!! and hd ,even the xa2 blows away any high end bd player for price.,look bd looked great on paper before launch,but reality is here and hd delivered!!

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:

Did anybody in Europe hack the SD-DVD playback on the HD-E1 to be region-free?

Here´s a link to a Swiss supplier, offering SD-DVD region-hacked HD-DVD players.:

http://www.dvdupgrades.ch/product/DV..._E1/71131.html

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.