AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to record an HD signal to the Panny E80.? I know there are no component inputs on the E80, so I am assuming that the HD signal needs to be downconverted somehow and then sent over S-video or something. Of course, I could also be completely off my rocker and such a device does not exist. Has anyone done this with the Panny E80. Also, if such a process is possible, I assume the PQ will not be HD obviously, but is the 16:9 aspect ratio perserved? If anyone has any answers or just wants to slap me silly for asking a dumn question, please respond.

·
Registered
559 Posts
There are currently no DVD recorders that can record a HDTV signal. The best you could do with the Panny E80 would be to connect the s-video and analog audio outputs from your HDTV tuner to the E80. The HDTV box will downconvert the video signal from 1080i or 720p to 480i.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats what I figured...unfortunately my HDTV Cable box doesn't have any S-video output...just the Component, Coax and Stereo(L/R) outputs. Guess I'm going to have to find out if Comcast here in South Jersey offers any HD boxes with S-video or optical sound out. Thanks...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I haven't studied all possible options, but I have done some of this on my E80.

My HD STB only outputs in HD or SD, not both simultaneously. I left the STB set for 16x9 mode, but selected SD and recorded to the hard drive. When I played back over (E80) composite, the image was stretched vertically. It took me a while to realize that I could burn an anamorphically enhanced / widescreen DVD. I burned on and played it over component to the TV, with anamorphic squeeze, and it looks very good - better than if you record and play SD.

Pretty cool I thought.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.