AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A news brief in the October issue of "TV Technology", a broadcast industry publication, reports that a NY production / rental facility did capture WTC 1 collapse in HDTV. It also reported HDnet "acquired" the footage. It did not tell how or what if anything was paid. HDnet was quoted as saying they will not broadcast the material at this time, possibly "in the distant future". Probably a good PR call for them, it was horrific enough on good old NTSC.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Please save it for posterity but don't show it.

I have been watching high-quality images for 50 years; I am a fan of processes like 70mm.

Nothing I have ever seen, alas, has burned its way into my psyche like the 9inch NTSC viewing of the WTC collapse.

I really don't need to see it again in any format, let alone HDTV.

NO!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, call it a morbid curiosity, but I would actually like to see this footage. And I'm an NYC resident. Figure that one out.

-- Robert

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't see what the big deal would be about showing it.

It happened and watching it again doesn't make it any better or worse.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree... I would like to see this also.... I think it would make what we are doing over in Afghanistan even more justifiable...

-Troy

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troyd
I agree... I would like to see this also.... I think it would make what we are doing over in Afghanistan even more justifiable...

-Troy
he is right. show it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Human Tragedy and life and death in general strikes at the very heart of humanities frailty. But with some fractionation of both the international coalition and attitudes in America regarding the war, perhaps,and only perhaps, reminders of what this is all about might be prudent. Hence replay, while abhorent, may strengthen resolve.

Sorry for the "poetics" and off HD response.

Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm a New Yorker and I saw it UP CLOSE and I don't want to see it or any reasonable facsimile ever again! And it certainly DOES NOT "justify what we are doing over in Afghanistan" at all. Killing is RARELY justified--when will it end? Thank God we don't have "smellivision"--you would not want to smell the smells that STILL come from the area--unimaginable, not to mention the sounds...the sounds of creaking structures, falling glass and concrete, melting metal, the scrambling of rescue workers when they hear these sounds to get out of the way of more falling debris...truly a living nightmare. What purpose would it serve to replay the disturbing images in HD? I thought therapy was absolutely absurd until after 9/11! Many people I know who got out of those buildings by a thread are still unable to sleep at night! How would the rubberneckers like it if one of those images of "falling debris" turned out to be one of their loved ones? Wouldn't be so interesting then, would it?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
maybe seeing it many many times will make it grow old and not have an effect on you. hiding the footage and forgetting about it will not make the terrorists go away. we have got to continue bombing and killing them off like flies. acting like it never happen will only bring us more tragedy. show us the footage in HD.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Lets see it in HD with 5.1 audio

How bout Pay Per View with proceeds to Red Cross

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Porter
Lets see it in HD with 5.1 audio

How bout Pay Per View with proceeds to Red Cross

That is a very good idea, make it cost something like $19.95 so it would actually help out, and the ones that don't want to see it won't.....

-Troy

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
NO THANKS.

Put it in the archives at the Smithsonian and maybe some day our great great grand kids (hopefully living in a peaceful world by that time) can watch it and ask "How could any human beings have been so insane?"

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'd like to see it myself. I can separate an event and the symbology of an event. I've seen the crash of the Hindenburg, the DVD of the atomic bomb tests, plenty of WWII footage, etc... many times. They were horrible events, but important to understand and interested in historical ways. I don't think the WTC stuff is any different, just more recent. Perhaps there is some morbid fascination, I dunno. And certainly any recognizable personal tragedies should be removed in order to protect those people's privacy. But, modulo that issue, I'd appreciate seeing it, in order to really see how it all happened in detail.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There's nothing sick about wanting to see an event that has had a profound effect on our country. "Banning" showing of the footage by fiat would be just about as reprehensible as "banning" the footage of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Incidentally, both events killed roughly the same number of people (not that that matters...).

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If HDNet shows it that would be one of the most classless, sleazy acts by a channels of any kind I can recall! If Marc Cuban and HDNet want to be considered a serious channel they will NEVER show this on their channel! Promoting a tragedy like this for their benefit would be a true low-lifer's strategy!!

And the remarks about doing a pay-per-view with proceeds going to the Red Cross is almost as outrageous! The Red Cross is already been caught funneling these donations to other areas of their organization saying that all this flood of donations wasn't all earmarked for the 9/11 tragedy so they will do what they want with the money! That's why one of their top people just quit because of the unethical practices being done (once again) by the Red Cross! The Lions Club I belong to donated $1500 to the Red Cross for the 9/11 fund and against my objections over the Red Cross's continuous unethical dealings! Did you guys know that the Red Cross charges people for food and clothing when they go to help out at things like floods, earthquakes etc...? I know, I witnessed it when there were floods in Illinois and I was helping out! I was blown away when I saw this! Also ask anyone who served in the Military how they to get charged for stuff they get from the Red Cross! It's organizations like The Salvation Army that are the truly trustworthy charities and NOT those like the Red Cross and United Way! Also charities that are local Like The Lions Clubs and Rotary are very trustworthy as the donations made stay locally and don't get sent off to a national office who eat up well over 50% in administrative costs!

Quote:
There's nothing sick about wanting to see an event that has had a profound effect on our country. "Banning" showing of the footage by fiat would be just about as reprehensible as "banning" the footage of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
There's nothing wrong for news organizations to show footage of disasters but when a non-news channel want to show a tragedy in HD so people can see this in incredible clarity (maybe to catch a few people dying in front of them), that is reprehensible!

·
Banned
93 Posts
Important historical data not appropriate for present public dissemination. We remain in mourning and healing time frame. Good call Mark.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
It shouldn't be just "oh, here's the WTC stuff in HD". It should be in the context of some sort of documentary exploration of the events, the things that lead to them and the aftermath, and would be no different from any other documentary on the subject. It would just have a level of clarity that matches the medium's capabilities.

I'm sure though that there will eventually be videos and DVDs of the collected footage purely for sale, in the same way that the atomic test footage stuff was sold, and (more sickly) all that twisted 'faces of death' stuff gets sold.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.