AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've been surfing around these boards for the last couple of hours, I'm not getting the info I'm looking for...sadly.


I need some expert pointers on a couple of things. First off, here is my PC specs:


[email protected]

2GB RAM

ATI Radeon 800XT


What I want to to is connecting my PC to projector, Hitachi TX, and watch HDTV material. So far I have hooked up the projector using a DVI cable, I'm getting both picture and (digital) sound. So far so good, right :) Now, what I need help about is:


What software should I use when watching HDTV material ?


- right now, I'm using ZoomPlayer and Windows Media Player Classic

What resolution and Hz should I use/send on my projector ?

- I'm running 1280*[email protected] now

Should I use ffdshow to somehow get an even better playback ?


Everything seems to be working ok, although I tend to notice a bit jerkyness in the playback.


Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
that is the resolution i use for my projector. i use mce2005, and the use of ffdshow is subject to your opinion. as far as the studdering, what else do you have running in the background?


i have almost identical specs and have no studdering even when i do use ffdshow.



chas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwanTai
.... What software should I use when watching HDTV material ?

- right now, I'm using ZoomPlayer and Windows Media Player Classic
The more important question is what codecs you are using. I'd recommend NVidia.

You might want to try TheaterTek 2.2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwanTai
What resolution and Hz should I use/send on my projector ?

- I'm running 1280*[email protected] now
You should be running at your projector's native refresh rate - what is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwanTai
Should I use ffdshow to somehow get an even better playback ?
Upscaling high-def? Not sure I understand why you want that.

For DVD playback it would be worthwhile to try.


Diogen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogen
The more important question is what codecs you are using. I'd recommend NVidia.

You might want to try TheaterTek 2.2.


Diogen.
You can purchase the Nvidia codecs w/o TT. I use ZP/VMR9 windowless/Nvidia codec for HD playback. You may want to consider 60hz for HDTV playback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
You can purchase the Nvidia codecs w/o TT. I use ZP/VMR9 windowless/Nvidia codec for HD playback.
True. So do I.

But some people on these forums swear by TT's superiority :)

Diogen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your comments.


I am using NVidia's decoder together with ZoomPlayer.


diogen (or someone elese). How do I know my projectors native refresh rate ?


What I mean with jerkyness is not the "traditional" jumpy and bumpy playback you tend to get when playing a HD clip your computer can't handle. There is no problem playing HD material (from a hardware pint of view), I just notice it's not 100% smooth. It's noticable in panorama shots or glides in the movie. Could ReClock be something I should use, or is this not possible when connection to a projector ?


Furthermore, I've read about HDTVPump. Should I use this filter ?


I don't know why I should use ffdshow, thought maybe that could give me even better image/playback :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwanTai
...How do I know my projectors native refresh rate?
That must be in the specs. My guess would be 60Hz.

To test whether this has anything to do with "jerkyness" you are seeing, just connect the PC to a regular CRT monitor that supports the chosen resolution and refresh rate. Is it smooth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwanTai
...Could ReClock be something I should use, or is this not possible when connection to a projector ? Furthermore, I've read about HDTVPump. Should I use this filter ?
Reclock can be very helpful, never used HDTVPump.


Diogen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwanTai
What I mean with jerkyness is not the "traditional" jumpy and bumpy playback you tend to get when playing a HD clip your computer can't handle. There is no problem playing HD material (from a hardware pint of view), I just notice it's not 100% smooth. It's noticable in panorama shots or glides in the movie. Could ReClock be something I should use, or is this not possible when connection to a projector ?
Try disabling hyperthreading. For me, that helped me get smooth pans with hi-rez media.


- Steve O.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all your feedback. I changed the Hz to 60 when watching NTSC material and 50Hz when watching PAL. The playback is much more smooth now, I'm quite happy :)


I switched from ZoomPlayer till TheaterTek, got much smoother and better quality playback with TheaterTek.


By the way, what is the best option when using the nvidia decoder: VMR9 or Overlay ?
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top