Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all i need to know if you can get close caption in hd mode thanks kevin

iam not recieving it trying to find out the proublem .

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Kevin,

Your Zenith STB can only decode the latest digital closed captions. At the time of this post, only WGBH in Boston has the equipment to use that system. As stations get new equipment, you will be able to get captions in HD. Right now, station are using the old 608 standard of analog CCs and your set only decodes the 708 standard of digital CCs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i understand what your saying but when i use 480 i mode thru this reciever with vidio out i get close caption threw this reciever maybe the old

so why cant i get the old when in hd mode component vidio kevin

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I would guess you are using your TV's caption decoder since the analog CC stream is part of the 480i signal. The HD output is different.

http://www.enablelink.com/zenith_lau...l_high_def.htm covers what Zenith is doing. Do an internet search on high definition closed caption and you will get a lot of information.

Once the stations catch up and put 708 standard encoders in, you not only will have CC in HD, but also have control of fonts, colors, and placement of digital captions. It's new technology and stations as well as encoder manufacturers are running behind. Digital CC is like HD itself. It is better technology but is taking a while to implement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.