AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out of the HTPC game for a long time and I'm gathering parts for a DVR build and was wondering if it's possible to do this until I'm ready with my build? I can find info stating you can with the PS3 but nothing but media center extender for the 360. I'm guessing it's possible but thought it wise to at least ask.

Damn just noticed my typing skills in the title and I'm to lazy and short on time to delete and repost!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Will it definitely work on the 360? I haven't played with it in a while, but I always had trouble with MPEG2 based files in the 360 Video Player. Like I said, it wasn't something I tried a lot. On the Xbox One it works really well, fwiw. But again no DVR.

Another option (if you do have a PC somewhere in the mix) is to use a Plex Server and Plex plugin called HDHomeRun Viewer. It effectively turns your Prime/Plex Server combo into a Slingbox. It can transcode cable to H264 and allow you to remotely view your tv channels (phone, laptop, tablet, etc)

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/101755-hdhomerun-viewer/

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Another option (if you do have a PC somewhere in the mix) is to use a Plex Server and Plex plugin called HDHomeRun Viewer. It effectively turns your Prime/Plex Server combo into a Slingbox. It can transcode cable to H264 and allow you to remotely view your tv channels (phone, laptop, tablet, etc)

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/101755-hdhomerun-viewer/
are you able to get any guide information at all through plex or is it just straight view the channels?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers. I have a lot to relearn and learn since my last build some 12 years or more ago which involved more tweaking and hair pulling than entertainment! Ha ha. Somehow I still enjoyed it even though it consumed far to much time playing/fighting with it! So do I understand correctly that with the PS3 I will be able to view all my channels with a cable card and only the unscrambled ones with the 360 even though I have a cable card? Hell I think my Samsung led TV is DLNA, not sure about my Panasonic plasma. Maybe I'll just use it with my Samsung until I'm ready with the new build and new network.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It's not an issue of scrambled vs. unscrambled. It depends on whether your cable company has flagged a given channel as copy-once ) or copy-freely. Some providers flag everything copy-once and some only flag the premiums and maybe a few others. In Nashville, for example, almost all the cable channels are copy-freely on Comcast and only the premium channels (like HBO and Showtime) and a few others are copy-once. Some individual shows may also be flagged copy-once, but that pretty rare for me. I think I've seen it on some concerts on Palladia, for example.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks dfkimbro. I do understand about the copy flags but wasn't sure if it was related to what was viewable with ps3 and xbox. To be honest I don't know how cox cable in my area flags content. I'm not a gamer so I guess my confusion has to do as much with what the game consoles can and can't do. My only real interest in them is for media content and extender duties. I always thought Xbox 3 was dlna but I guess not and the ps3 is. Was considering getting a ps3 for the bedroom since it's dlna certified and would only be used to watch live TV/BR and use the xbox as an extender in the projector setup. But after looking it would seem my Panasonic plasma and Samsung led are dlna so probably no need for the ps3. Like I said I have a lot of catching up and learning to do!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I connected the HDHR Prime to my Samsung TV and the TV would not see the tuner. Went and connected it to my gateway and viola I have video on my Samsung and Panasonic over wifi. Perfect, no but I get an idea what to expect . Now just waiting on pc parts and new router/modem so I can switch to Cox from ATT dsl.

Question I have now is I get picture and sound on my TV's but only get audio on my laptop? What settings do I need to get video on my windows 8.1 laptop without Media Center? Is it possible my i3 with I believe 4000 not good enough? It will play Bluray's so I'm guessing that's no it?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
You need MPEG2 decoder which is stripped out of Win8 unless you install 3rd party codec packs or WMC. MEPG2 decoder licenses cost a lot of $$ for MS to give it out for free like they did with Win7. I'm surprised you get audio from PC. Normally, HD channels use AC3 audio and no Windows ever offered AC3 for free. Again, 3rd party codec pack or WMC will add that.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's because without WMC, Win 8.1 does not have MPEG2 support, which is what TV signals are (aside from the rare h.264 signals in some select areas/on some providers). Use VLC, should work; or get the WMC pack.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I use the HDHomeRun app on my Win8.1 tablet and it works perfectly with SD channels. I can tune HD channels but my wifi connection isn't fast enough to stream them smoothly. I already had Shark007 codecs installed so maybe that's why video is working for me.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can do HD as well with some breakup. Actually get a little stutter sometimes with the standard def channels compared with the HD which is stutter free with occasional breakup with my Pace ATT gateway. Have an R7000 and Motorola modem on the way to switch to cable provider and will see if results are better with that combo, if not I guess moca or power line. My only real complaint is all the saw tooth jaggies I'm getting with VLC. May have to try something else. At this point I need something simple that just works! lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I just set up my HD Homerun Prime last weekend. Is it possible to stream live TV directly from it to an XBox 360 without a PC in between?

I've unsuccessfully searched the web for how to do it. Now I wonder if my inability to find that information is because it's simply not possible.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I just set up my HD Homerun Prime last weekend. Is it possible to stream live TV directly from it to an XBox 360 without a PC in between?

I've unsuccessfully searched the web for how to do it. Now I wonder if my inability to find that information is because it's simply not possible.
The easiest answer is just no.

That tuner does have dlna sharing. Which is only for watching not recording, and nothing copy once meaning you are totally out of luck if you've got TWC or Cox as your cable provider.

That being said the xbox360 isn't able to browse dlna shares which is a necessity to use the dlna tuner sharing. There may be a way to get it done with a 3rd party app like bubbleupnp but I don't know of any guides available

1 - 20 of 20 Posts