AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dlp projector with a 132" dia screen. It looks great with my DVD player and DVDO iScan. However my comcast cable channels are aweful. How do I correct this? I tried using a Samsung SIRT151 HDTV OTA Tuner, however the only channel that looked better was HDTV channel (which consisted of one in the DFW area). All other Digital Channels did not look any better than my comcast digital cable channels. What do I do to get HD quality using either OTA or comcast cable on a 132" dia screen?

Zeph

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well, I could give you the obvious answer: You don't.

I could give you the beaurucratic answer: Call your cable company.

but, I'll try to be helpful. Without seeing your picture, its hard to know if a descaler or line doubler would help in you case. Many newer projectors come with pretty good internal line doublers so adding an external one, may not help much. Maybe a little but will never give you the quality of the HDTV signal, there simply is not enough information in the signal to cover that big screen. Then again, maybe there is something wrong with your other channels. You say the digital channels look pretty bad too? In what way?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James,

Thx for your reply. The OTA digital channels look about the same as my comcast cable digital channels, not so great. However the OTA HDTV channel looks great.

I am not using a line doubler, it is only a scaler. Will a line doubler help?

Z

·
Registered
73 Posts
My comcast cable looks pretty bad on a 32" HDTV. I can't imagine what it would be like on such a large screen. Digital cable is compressed (that's how they get so many channels on there). Their compression is optimized for SD televisions with probably 36" or so size. Once you go to HDTV resolution you realize how bad the signal really is (notice the artifacts of the compression -- large areas that get washed out, especially in low-light or in the background).

It took me using a computer for a PVR, doing scaling and de-interlacing to improve the PQ. Now I'm actually quite happy with it, but I'm only using a 32" HDTV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Freat,

Thanks, I have got to figure this out. I have a really good projector thats shows great DVD images. I do not want to resort to only using it to display DVD. I would like to view DTV on it as well. However, now the PQ is too distracting, except for HDTV. Whenever there is a HDTV OTA signal it looks great.

Zeph

·
Registered
943 Posts
Standard definition DTV should have about the same resolution as DVD. HDTV of course has higher resolution than either. Problem could be in you connections. My suggestion is to use a HTPC to scale your signals to your pj's native resolution. You can loose a lot of quality letting the pj's scaler do the job on some projectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.