AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting four xxxx-DT station signals. Two of them reported on my display (Mitsubishi integrated HD tuner) as "SD4:3" yet they were displaying in 16:9 (no, I didn't have them in any type of different format, this was the standard, native format). The other two reported "HD" but those diplayed in 4:3. This seems opposite of what I expected. Is this normal? The two HD transmissions were NBC and CBS and the SD transmissions were PBS and a local religion channel.

Thanks,

Jake

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
In fact a SD transmission can be made with 16:9 material if the broadcaster decides to add letterbox bars top and bottom. Most 16:9 displays could be used to view this with a "Zoom" function that fits the picture to the width and chops off the top/bottom bars. UPN broadcasts Enterprise this way in SD analog (480i). The UPN HD channel gives you 480p and 16:9.

In fact a HD transmission can be made from 4:3 material by adding "pillarbox" bars to both sides to fill a 16:9 screen area. Most stations do this with "upconverted" 480i sources - both SD programs and commercials, when broadcast on the digital channel. I reccomend watching these with the bars to the sides on 16:9 displays.

Many tuners will automaticly zoom and switch modes for you, for example my own "MyHD" PC tuner allows you to select between 4:3 and 16:9 displays, and if you select 4:3 you then can pick letterbox/zoom/full/auto - I use auto most of the time, and sometimes must overide it.

Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.