Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks !

Having only recently entered into the world of HDTV, I am struggling to calibrate my 1080i input .. and have made little headway :

I tried the trick of sending the AVIA signal to my VCR using a composite cable, and then sending the RF signal to my DST-3000 which then upconverts it to 1080i .. the resulting quality left much to be desired and the calibrated results did not produce a great picture on native 1080i .. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif I've manually adjusted the picture "by eye" but its probably way off.

I see that the Accupel HDG-2000 will do the job .. but its $1000 (and I'll probably need it just once or so to get the black and white levels, color levels, sharpness etc settings) .. too much for my budget. Is there anyplace that one can rent these ? (I doubt, but that would be great!)

Is there any software that will provide the signals in 1080i mode thru the VGA output of a PC ? This can then be converted to YPbPr using Audio Authority or something similar .. has anyone gone down this path ?

Does anyone have any recommendations of someone with the right equipment in the Los Angeles area ? (I learn that Bob McJimsey is not accepting any new appointments now)

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

Quote:
Is there any software that will provide the signals in 1080i mode thru the VGA output of a PC ?
If your video card supports interlaced output (e.g. geforce 2 gts, radeon) you could use powerstrip to set up a custom timing (in this case, 1080i).

I'm not sure how well this will work, though. It presumes your PC video card and DST-3000 are reasonably "calibrated" to each other.

------------------

Alex

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Is there any software that will provide the signals in 1080i mode thru the VGA output of a PC ?
Yes, I've tracked some professional software programs with a google.com searches. Never ordered it because even though it's moderately priced, it wouldn't get enough use. Meanwhile, for the past year, I've simply used the built-in HDTV alignment sequence in my Philips RPTV to keep the CRTs converged. A while back one forum member outlined how he used a pro graphics program, Adobe I believe, to create burst patterns for testing the resolution of his Pioneer RPTV. You should be aware that the Accupel pattern generator reviewed here a while back (~$2500, then, I believe) delivers limited patterns for determining 1080i resolution. It only tells you, I understand from those using it, whether your set can display 1920 hor. res. or 960, but nothing in between. -- John

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback ! I have been using the internal convergence grids on my Toshiba to ensure that the guns are aligned. However, adjusting the color etc is something that I'm unable to do ! .. yet http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I'm considering getting an Audio Authority VGA to Component converter from a local store (no idea who may sell them .. any suggestions in the Los Angeles area ?) to see if it works with my notebook vga out. (If it does not, hopefully I can return it.) My notebook is able to output 1600x1200, 1400x1050, 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 at 32 bit color (it has an ATI Rage Mobility 128 card built in). I do not know if I can adjust these using a program like PowerStrip (how would I find out without connecting the TV?).

I do not need any of the geometry adjustment patterns from AVIA (can adjust using the convergence grid and templates), but would like to just get the flashing color bars, and the moving black bars to adjust white and black levels. Would I still need to alter the output resolution of my notebook from the "4:3" modes, or would it just be that the image will just get "squashed" on display (which is fine for adjusting colors etc, right ?)

Thanks !

·
Registered
943 Posts
I thought that the AVIA and VE cd's played into the TV through a DVD player.

Is this not correct.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Sankar

You can download powerstrip and try it on your laptop to see if 1080i will work. Not all graphics chipsets support interlaced output. If the cipset doesn't support it, the custom timing in powerstrip "won't take"

------------------

Alex

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
jerryez:

Or through the dvd-rom of a pc

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Alex, I'll check this out http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jerryez,

you are correct in that the AVIA dvd can be connected to a TV thru a stand alone dvd. However, the output will be 480i or 480p (depending on your player, doubler etc), so the 1080i modes of the TV will not be used. Hence it is not possible to accurately set the color etc (using design mode parameters) in the 1080i mode .. unless we can upscale the dvd's output to 1080i or 540p.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alex,

I got powerstrip and was able to go into the Advanced Timing Options page and click on the interlaced box ... of course on my notebook screen, the image just got brighter and brighter till it disappeared .. hitting the escape button restored everything .. I guess that this means that the adapter can output interlaced mode ?

Thanks for the tip ! Now to try and get a Audio Authority converter from a local source which I can return if it does not work http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK ! I did it !

I connected my desktop PC (notebook did not work) with a Matrox G200 card to the TW65H80 using an RCA vga->component converter .. 960x540 resolution .. voila .. AVIA on my TV in 1080i mode ! Calibrated the contrast, brightness, sharpness, color, tint, green and red push levels .. and now HDTV from PBS looks stunning (minor convergence adjustment is still due) ... clean colors, etc.

HBO HDTV however (I watched "Get Carter") was not that great .. appeared more grainy. Has anyone else noticed this ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.