AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm at home recovering from surgery on my shoulder, I've been thinking about the next modification to my HTPC. I apologize if this is all covered in another thread, in my medication induced fog, I couldn't find anything definitive on the forum.

I've been very pleased using the HTPC to drive my Electrohome Marquee CRT projector, but now I'm wanting to view satellite HD broadcasts.

Specifically, I was rather impressed with VOOM when I saw it at CES, but how to connect it to the PJ?

I could buy a transcoder, and convert the component output of the VOOM set-top box to RGBHV for the PJ, but then I lose all the advantages of running the HTPC.

The booth bunnies at the VOOM booth at CES were useless. They couldn't even tell me what kind of outputs were available on the STB, and wouldn't even let me turn the box over to see for myself what output signals might be available. The Sears sales droids were even less helpful.

I've since learned that the Motorola STB that VOOM sells has a USB port. I'm unclear if that port is available to only control the STB, or if the video signal might be available on the USB port. There is no firewire on the STB at this time.

So, the real question (you knew I'd get to it sooner or later, right?) would be: How to get an HD video signal into the computer? Is there a way to capture DVI or USB or component? or even Firewire, once the next generation of VOOM receivers shows up? (mid-summer so the rumors say) or maybe RGBHV from a transcoder? or ?

The other solution would be a satellite capture card. I'm not aware that one is available now, or ever will be. Even with one, how to deal with the VOOM subscription?

Naturally, I'd like to be able to time-shift, archive, and all that, but for now I'd be happy just to display the program, and maybe scale it up for the PJ. I'm aware that at this time, it's pretty difficult to record uncompressed HD signals on a PC. We'll cross that bridge too, someday.

I'm not interested in stealing the signal. I'm more than happy to pay the subscription fees. I'll even buy the STB once it's cost becomes reasonable, although a capture card would be the ultimate. I just want to view the programming.

Marvin

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.