AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up front I'm sorry for my ignorance! I have a Toshiba 46rv535u LCD

Onkyo tx-sr504 receiver and im looking for a good standard HD DVD player. Direct T.V. satellite is coming next weekend. The onkyo has no HDMI what is the best way to hook this up? Can I use the HDMI for the satellite, and DVD to the LCD and run RCA cables for the audio hook ups? I have been told that the only way is to hook up component and composite through the receiver. I would like to take advantage of the 1080p capabilities of the LCD and New DVD if possible. ? Any idea short of purchasing a new receiver.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
It looks like your TV has a digital optical output. You can hook your components with HDMI directly to the TV and then connect the TV to the receiver with a digital optical cable.

CJ

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/16971439

It looks like your TV has a digital optical output. You can hook your components with HDMI directly to the TV and then connect the TV to the receiver with a digital optical cable.

Since the TV has 3 HDMI inputs, this would work. However, I personally would run component before using the TV as the "brains" of my system. There are several threads just in this little section of the forum with people who have had problems doing this.

The best setup would be to get a little bit better receiver that can handle HDMI switching (at a minimum). What's your thoughts on selling that receiver and upgrading a little bit?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts