AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there such thing as an hd tv that can display a good sd picture? all hd lcd tvs i see have a horrible sd pictures. by horrible i mean artifacts during high motion. what is the reason for this and is there an lcd tv out there that can display a good sd picture?

i've been looking for the right lcd hd tv for me, but can't see spending the money if the sd picture is poor.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Obviously an LCD won't do as well with SD material as your CRT, but as already stated, it wasn't designed to. However, I'd argue that a properly calibrated HD LCD will blow away a CRT with HD material...well, as long as you don't get a cheapo LCD. But still, if your LCD is properly calibrated, it will do a very good job with SD material. Not as good as a CRT, but not so bad that you should be discouraged from getting one. Maybe you should get a HD CRT to transition yourself over to the HD world.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As already said, HDTVs are designed for an HD signal. However, SD can range from bad to good....depending on #1..the source and #2...the set. The source is the most important aspect. I've seen programs in analog...fuzzy/grainey. However, that same program on a digital non-hd feed is very good. I have an 46" Sony LCD rptv and a 46" Sony Bravia flat panel on Dish HD. I find that the SD programs on my sets are very good. Are they perfect? No, but I find them to be very watchable. My brother has the 40" Sony Bravia on Time Warner Cable standard service (non HD). He upgraded from an older 27" CRT direct view and is very happy with the PQ of his Bravia. From what I've read, some HDTVs to a better job with SD than others. The Bravia is said to be one of them. I've also read that the Toshiba dlp rptv is rated as very good on SD by Consumer Reports, however I haven't seen it.

Don't know if this helps you or not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
LCDs that have techonigy to make SD look better general do SD better

Sony and its DCR

LG and there XD engine

are suppost to scrub SD feed to look better on the HDtv's

My dad LCD rear projection sony 60xbr950 show SD pretty good but then it better for the 4xxx$ he payed for it better then my ln-s3251d does but then his is hooked to component and I using s-video

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansw /forum/post/0

My Sharp 32D42U gets a great SD picture from my comcast analog cable. No STB, just plugged in to the RF input. Its as good or better thn my previous tube TV.

And the HD channels by QAM are terrific!

/Dan

I've tried doing that before on my Olevia 232V and the analog channels come in fine but the HD ones come in all broken up. Why is that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the answer. After reading all the reports of "unwatchable" SD in the forum I was very surprised that my SD picture is so good.

MY HD/Digital channels are really good. Maybe your cable signal is weak. Do you haveany connectors in line that could be loose or corroded? You do not have a set top box, right? How are your SD channels? Does your TV have QAM?

Sorry can't be much help.

/Dan

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have been posting similar questions in another thread (Standard Definition on 1080i/p).

I am terribly confused why SD looks bad on an HD panel when compared to a comparably sized CRT display. I can understand if you are comparing a 25" tube with a 65" digital panel but when looking at comperably sized decives such as a 32" 4:3 tube with a 42" digital panel (which would yield ~ a 32" 4:3 viewing area) why do the digitals look so muich worse?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The panels generally do a fast nearest neighbor or equivalent scaling, the don't actually interpolate and average new pixels, they just stretch and/or double up the existing ones. If you send the SD through a good signal processor (ex: a home theater pc) you'll generally get excellent scaling results because it will use a much better scaling algorithm like bilinear or bicubic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all your answers. i don't actually own an hdtv yet, but am very interested in the samsung ln-s4095d. i've read reviews that some say it does a good job with sd and others say it doesn't. i guess the only way is to check it out in a store.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birk /forum/post/0

thanks for all your answers. i don't actually own an hdtv yet, but am very interested in the samsung ln-s4095d. i've read reviews that some say it does a good job with sd and others say it doesn't. i guess the only way is to check it out in a store.

actualy you can't judge it in the store it more of crap shoot there. you have to bring it home check it out with your own equpiment and feed

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birk /forum/post/0

is there such thing as an hd tv that can display a good sd picture?

Yes, some sets can display very good SD pictures. It depends in a large part on the sets processing abilites and screen. Followed by your settings. To help you with your settings, see this link
http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=59

For what it is worth, I have a 4 year old CRT that was highly rated & replaced it with a plasma pioneer 5070. The SD picture on my pioneer is much better than it was on the CRT. I can not tell you the number of people who have walked into my house & said "So that's what HD tv looks like, that looks even better than in the stores, I have to get one". In nearly every case, the channel tuned is a SD channel.

I'm sure that there are new LCDs out there that can do just as well, I don't know which ones because although I have two LCD's they are both 2+ years old & neither looks as good.

Just keep asking the questions, do your research & when you buy one, set it up properly. You can have both high quality SD and HD in one set.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think the biggest problem people have with regards to SD content and their LCD TV is they don't have it set and calibrated properly. I was just as guilty when I first got mine. LCD's are MUCH different than CRT's and you absolutely must read your tv manual. People often "get away" with bad settings on their LCD if they have HD content outputting to it, but you can't get away with it if you're pumping SD material into it. Make absolutely sure your tv is set in a mode like 1:1 to avoid degrading the PQ. Cable box users, have your cable box set to only let a 1080i signal come out. Buy a calibrating dvd or have a professional calibrate your tv. MOST LCD's come out of the factory with simpy poor settings. My LCD TV had AWFUL sd PQ prior to these changes and now it rivals my SONY CRT SD television. When you spend so much money to buy one of these things, you better spend time learning how it works! Best of luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.