AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will talk to Mike at Key Digital to see if there is a way around this. But this is the case at the moment.

I had commented earlier that the HD Leeza did a great job on a Sony G-90 of upconverting to 1080p without 2/3 pulldown anomalies. This was prior to Calibration by Roger Galvin.

In this system we chose the component input in from the SONY HD 200 in 1080, the HD leezas output goes rgbhv into the Snell & Wilcox IPG excellent HDTV passtrough.

While I thought the picture looked great, upon pluging of the color analyser the rgb values coming out of the HD Leeza were too high on Green. About ten percent too high on Green by Roger Galvins guestimate.

The Blue was really strong, and the red was kind of weak, but the green was severely overboosted, thus rendering D6500 calibration not possible.

Roger believes that this may be a YBPR conversion problem in the input stage.

We will soon find out but I really suggest we start clocking these 1080p converters with precision equipment and stop commenting just based on visual observation. The quest for the perfect 1080p doubler commences.

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Hey Peter,

Please note that D6500 has nothing to do with the doubling section.

Have you tested the same input at other rates (e.g., 480p, 720p) to see if the color inaccuracies are identical through all the rates?

In any case, it sounds like this is a good place for Mike Parker to make his mods for accurate D6500.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
That was my point earlier to Peter's comment. Leave the signal in the YPrPb color space and use the Mike Parker MP-5 transcoder to convert to RGBHV after the scaler. The HD Leeza uses the same transcoder as their cheaper standalone transcoders and there have been reported problems with the CTCA transcoders and CRTs.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The MP-5 has the bandwidth for 1080p and should pass along the resolution. I've compared it to the KD transcoder and see more detail on the high resolution pattern on the 1080i DVE Dtheater tape, which means more detail in the background of HD sources is passed through. Does bring up an interesting point, is the HD Leeza capable of 1080p on its component outs?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The list is $799 which incudes 2 auto switching component inputs. I believe in the last correspondence availability is targeted for Feb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.