AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered one of these. As I explained to the salesperson, I will use it for two purposes:

1. For Scaling DVD viewing (I just don't use the scaler for normal television watching, because I don't watch normal television)

2. For Upscaling My HD signal from 1080i to 1080p on a NEX XG135LC2. I am advised that this is one of the 8" CRT projectors that can handle it.

3. This means I need two kinds of inputs on the HD Leeza: (1) component; and (2) RGBHV. While I see the latter via a 15-pin connector, I specifically need a 5 pin R-G-B-H-V input on the LEEZA, and I do not see that.

Am I missing something from the picture on the Key Digital website?

Nick Satullo

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Maybe I don't understand what your saying but why can't you use the standard 15 pin connector? Or are you saying you need two RGBHV inputs? In which case you would need a switch. Going from 5 BNCs to a HD15 connector is just a matter of getting the right cable.

Also for the DVD you should be using the SDI not the component input.

Tom

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl
Maybe I don't understand what your saying but why can't you use the standard 15 pin connector? Or are you saying you need two RGBHV inputs? In which case you would need a switch. Going from 5 BNCs to a HD15 connector is just a matter of getting the right cable.

I already have a 30 foot cable running from my STB, with 15 pin on one end, and 5 pin RGBHV breakout on the other, which goes directly into my projector. Since I want to keep that cable, rather than getting it reterminated, I need to order one with the vga on both ends, which, at that length, is not cheap. My hope was to be able to use the existing cable unmodified.

Quote:
Also for the DVD you should be using the SDI not the component input.

Tom
Well, you can use the SDI, but I have DVD changers with over 600 discs that get controlled by Entre units, and the video signal will have to pass through the Entre. I can modify the changers, and one day I might, but I'm not sure the Entre unit can be modified. I don't want a single disc unit, so SDI is really not an option for me now.

Nick :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Hi Nick,

I understand about the SDI and you're probably doing the right thing, considering your setup.

You have a VGA to 5 BNC setup. If you want the HD LEEZA to output that, you'll need a second breakout cable with a female VGA connector and a breakout for the other direction. That would probably be cheaper than getting a complete new cable. The signal loss should not be so high.

As for VGA-VGA cable, you should be able to get that at any computer shop (for the input).

I know the unit can handle HD Component, have you verified whether it can handle 1080i through RGBHV? If not, you'll need a transcoder (KeyDigital makes those too).

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor

You have a VGA to 5 BNC setup. If you want the HD LEEZA to output that, you'll need a second breakout cable with a female VGA connector and a breakout for the other direction. That would probably be cheaper than getting a complete new cable. The signal loss should not be so high.

As for VGA-VGA cable, you should be able to get that at any computer shop (for the input).

I know the unit can handle HD Component, have you verified whether it can handle 1080i through RGBHV? If not, you'll need a transcoder (KeyDigital makes those too).
My confusion started at the Key Digital website. If you go to it, you see what purports to be the rear panel of a HD LEEZA, and without a close up it's hard to tell whether there's a 5 pin input or not. Just look at http://www.keydigital.com/search_res...btnSearch.y=12

Also on Key's website, there is a PDF download for the HD LEEZA. This download has an image of a different rear panel altogether. Take a look at http://www.keydigital.com/pdf/KD-HD1080P.pdf

The first rear panel would suggest a 5 pin input. The second would not.

On the PDF specifications, however, it says:

ONE RGBHV High Definition Video Input For Resolution Scale. That is then described, on the spec sheet, as a "standard 15 pin female VGA connection R,G,B."

I assume from that description that, yes, the unit will do 1080i through RGBHV. But . . . this unit has really been hard to isolate on features, for me at least.

My "breakout" cable is from my STB HD receiver (with a VGA output for RGB) which currently "breaks out" to 5 RGBHV BNC, to my projector. What I apparently will need is the VGA to VGA cable (from STB HD receiver to LEEZA) and a VGA to 5 BNC breakout cable from LEEZA to projector (which only accepts a 5 pin RGBHV connection--no VGA input on the NEC).

My existing breakout cable of over 30 feet is too long to go between the LEEZA and the projector. It has the wrong termination to go from STB to LEEZA.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl
Nick - Have you seen the latest picture here on AVS?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...844&fullpage=1
No . . . thanks. That means that the "picture" on the PDF download from Key Digital is screwed up. But it also suggests that I won't need a breakout cable from the LEEZA to my projector as the output should accommodate 5 pin from scaler to projector.

I'll still need the vga-to-vga from HD receiver to LEEZA, it appears, though.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
you can input component to the HD inputs or dvi.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Do a search on this site to understand why the pictures on the KD website are wrong...

Basically, they decided to go one way, and we (At the forum) were bent on using a VGA input for RGBHV input, and 5xBNC for RGBHV output.

As a result of nudging and long threads, Key Digital ultimately capitulated and changed the specification. So, all images created prior to that change have incorrect connectors on them.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Is the RGB via the VGA input a pass through or can it be processed by the HD Leeza?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It is supposed to scale or pass.

Quote from KD:

One RGBHV High Definition Video Input for resolution scale:

One standard 15 pin Female VGA connector R,G,B: 1 V p-p, @ 75 Ohm terminated

H&V: 5 V p-p TTL, positive sync

HDTV: 37 MHz bandwidth for R,G,B

Standards accepted :

1080 interlaced 59.94/60 Hz

720 progressive 59.94/60 Hz

480 progressive 59.94/60 Hz

RGBHV High Definition Video Input could be used for pass through:

One standard 15 pin Female VGA connector RGBHV are for pass through signaling. Pass through bandwidth 300 MHz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.