AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused and am hoping someone can help me out.

From what I gather, there is a Samsung DVD player out or soon to be out that will scale a regular DVD up to 720p and send this signal out its' DVI output with HDCP encryption. Why would there be encryption on a "regular" dvd signal? I thought HDCP was only for native high definition signals, not upconverted 480i stuff.

Does this then mean that the upcoming HD Leeza will also add HDCP encryption to any regular 480i signal it receives when outputing 720p over its' DVI output? If so, then I won't consider this video processor, as the projector I've ordered (Epson TW100) doesn't have HDCP. If I can have the Leeza upconvert a signal from my RP91 to 720p and then I can feed this to the Epson via a DVI cable without HDCP in the picture, then I'm interested.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The Samsung DVD-HD931 (and the Bravo D1, and others likely to come) is required as part of the CSS license to apply HDCP to any DVI output, regardless of resolution, real or scaled. Similarly, if a DVD supports a Firewire output, it is required to apply DTCP per the CSS agreement. FWIW, SDI 480i output is also against the rules (unprotected digital output in any format is a violation of the CSS license), but people still do it and no one had gotten their hand slapped yet.

Since the HD Leeza is classified as an HDCP repeater (all stand-alone scalers that support DVI/HDCP inputs are classified as such), it doesn't apply HDCP to anything, but it has to obey the HDCP rules. For example, if you were to plug a Samsung 931 into the HD Leeza via DVI, the analog output section of the HD Leeza is required by the HDCP license to be turned off...and since the HD Leeza is processing an HDCP source from the 931, it can only pass said source out via the DVI/HDCP pathway, meaning you'd need a DVI/HDCP display to see a picture with the 931 using the 931's DVI output running through the HD Leeza. Man, that sounds more complicated than it really is!

In your case, you should be fine: you can hook up an SDI-modified DVD player to the HD Leeza, and it will do its thing and output via DVI (without applying HDCP) or via the analog pathway. You can also connect your RP91 to the HD Leeza via analog component and achieve the same goal, but probably get a slightly softer picture (since the Leeza will be starting with an analog signal vs. a digital SDI one).

If *any* of this is wrong for the HD Leeza, one of the Michaels will correct me pronto. It is important to note, though, that many HDCP source devices have been released that mistakenly apply HDCP to everything (e.g., the Sony HD-200, Zenith SAT520, etc.)...let's just say manufacturers are still learning how all of the various copy protection schemes work together, and there are no guarantees that things will work as expected out of the gate...but things can usually be fixed via a firmware upgrade if needed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alex, that clears things up for me. Pretty silly to apply a High Definition Copy Protection (HDCP?) scheme to a scaled 480i signal, but what can you do?

I was sick of this talk of HDCP maybe making all high definition capable monitors/projectors obsolete, I thought I'd speed up the process and take the plunge on the TW100. If anything is going to make a piece of equipment obsolete real fast, it's me buying it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.