Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked the HD LEEZA up today.

My sources are: Marantz DV8400 DVD player, VOOM HD receiver and V Inc Bravo D1 player

I am getting white snow line on the right and the top of the picture with the DVI inputs with the DV8400. I tried a few different DVD's and always got a line of white snow on top and right.

I tried 2 other sources; VOOM HD receiver and V Inc Bravo D1 player and they work fine. No snow.

When I called Key Digital tech support, he blamed it on the DVI cable.

First he said it was because I was using a 4-meter (13 feet) cable, which is too long. I said it worked fine straight from the player to the Marantz VP12S2, so how can the LEEZA be any worse?

Then he suggested it was a faulty cable. Well, one of the cables does look funny. I have 2 monster M500DVI's. They both have the identical packaging. However, one cable has 6 pins less then the other. It looks like it was intended. There is an exact square cut in the middle where pins exist in the other cable. Is it a faulty cable, which only the LEEZA is strict with? Should I replace the cable that has fewer pins? Or is it something with the LEEZA? The cable with fewer pins seemingly works fine. The HD signal from my VOOM receiver looks fine, as does the picture from the D1.

Please help,

Cap

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Cap - Are you saying the VOOM HD receiver and V Inc Bravo D1 player work through the same DVI input on the HD Leeza? If so I would suspect something is screwed up with either Marantz's or KD's HDCP implementation. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the DV8400 outputs a HDCPed signal and I'm pretty sure the other two do not. Let us know how things work out.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
I would suspect something is screwed up with either Marantz's or KD's HDCP implementation.
In a direct connection between the 8400 and the projector, the pic is fine. But then again they are both made by Marantz.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Sounds like a compatibility issue. It doesn't sound like a cable issue (I could be wrong).

Do the noise lines overlap the image, or is it just that you're seeing "too much of the picture" and then lines running just outside the image?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Do the noise lines overlap the image, or is it just that you're seeing "too much of the picture" and then lines running just outside the image?
The latter.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
What about other inputs, you're not seeing this on theirs?

Are you sure the edges of the image are set up correctly between the HD LEEZA (i.e., what it thinks is the edge) and the display?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
What about other inputs, you're not seeing this on theirs?

Are you sure the edges of the image are set up correctly between the HD LEEZA (i.e., what it thinks is the edge) and the display?
I am confused. There is an edge set up feature? I do not see such a feature. I simply plug in the DVI into the DVI inputs (I tried both) and set the resolution (1280 x 720) and viola, it works. This worked for my other sources. What do I do to set up the edges? When I called the tech support he told me that my cable is DVI-A. But according to my research it is DVI-D single link. (As opposed to dual link) I am so confused right now. I am new at this. Please help.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
First, I would recommend you try to change the resolution to another one.

On my display, when the resolution wasn't set up properly, I still saw a perfectly nice image, but the edges had some quirkyness to it. There's another post about a very similar issue on our forum, I would recommend that you review that as well.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it can't be any settings on the display, because it happens only with my Marantz 8400. Not my Bravo D1 or VOOM HDTV receiver.

1280 by 720p is the proper resolution for the VP-12S2. But I tried every other rosolution (There were like 20) just to be thorough.

When I called KD's tech support he told me I was using a DVD-A cable (He just did know what a single link DVI-D cable looked like) and he let me know of other fine products that KD sells. I was not impressed with that.

My ISF guy said he was not impressed with the LEEZA anyway. He said it was a "nightmare" and that I should return it.

Between the Marantz' excellent video processing and using a DVI cables for all my video sources, I should be more than fine.

This product has become more trouble than its worth.

Todah Rabah anyway,

Cap

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
You can address seeing too much of the image by going into the HD Leeza picture adjustment settings and tweaking the horizontal and vertical size settings. If you are at 1280x720 resolution, these will show 1280 and 720 by default. But you can increase beyond those amounts and the HD Leeza will in effect overscan to show less of the picture (don't worry, it still outputs at exactly 1280x720, but it just shows a little less of the picture). The fact that some of your devices show properly while others show too small (i.e. show the lines at the edge of the screen) does not prove a fault in the HDL; rather, it just proves that different equipment act differently together, which is exactly why scalar makers give us these extra settings to tweak. Most people keep a little overscan in there even when not needed so that you don't sometimes get thrown into this situation (you really can't notice if you overscan and end up losing a tiny tiny percentage of hte picture...after all, in a regular movie theater (at least the old fashioned kind) they traditionally use masking curtains that in effect do the same thing so that the edge of the frame looks sharp.

As an example, I have a 503cmx which displays at 1280x768 native resolution. KD's recommended settings have me change horizontal size to 1296 rather than 1280 to avoid just the problem you are describing. But my monitor confirms that it is still being fed native resolution so my monitor's scalar never has to step in and do any work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.