AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... last week I was watching Leno in HD via my roof-top antenna and 6000 receiver with 8VSB tuner. Suddenly the picture started flickering and cutting out, some scribbly lines were displayed on the screen, and then the HD was lost - the transmission reverted to standard definition (which came through fine).

I replaced the 8VSB tuner and then last night the EXACT same thing happened again. I was watching Leno in HD and a couple of flickers later it's in SD. I rebooted the receiver but the HD did not come back.

Has anyone else experienced this? At first I assumed it was the 8VSB tuner, but since it has happened twice now with 2 different tuners, could it be my 6000 receiver? Is there a possibility that the problem lie with the actual transmission?

TIA!

Lord British

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ReeseG -

It's good to hear from someone else in the Austin area! I am actually in Pflugerville, and karlpoe who also posts in this forum is in Georgetown. Thanks to him I learned that I could pick up 53 out of Waco (the tower is actually in Temple). The channel is Waco's CBS affiliate (KWTX-DT) which means that there is a ton of HD material! I usually get around a 50-55% signal strength, but the station is actually down right now... karlpoe talked to an engineer there who said it most likely will be down all week. Where are you in Austin? You might be able to pick it up too!

So losing the KXAN HD transmission has happened to you as well? Do you have the Dish 6000 with 8VSB or another STB? Did you get the same symptoms that I described? I just want to make sure that it isn't my equipment.

Thanks!

Lord British

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your Lordship,

I do believe the 6000 has nothing to do with the transmission.

If the transmission switched then the transmitter switched it.

Respectfully:

------------------

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dollars to donuts that the HD transmission was at fault ; this happens in Boston once in a while, sometimes recovering in the same show but not always.

It seems to occur around commercials (human intervention) more than not.

BTW: did you RMA your first 8VSB; just curious ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
It happens all the time. I'm not sure whether the local affiliate is at fault, or the digital feed, but you shouldn't feel that your 6000 is causing the revert.

Since NBC is our only OTA option, it's a shame that we can't get some stability out of KXAN.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll chime in here too! Just responded to your old post about your antenna, sorry didn't see how old it was! Yes KXAN is getting worse on signal strength in Georgetown. Last night it was coming in about 78%, the first time in over a week I've gotten more than 48%. It is not our equipment, the stations are at fault on this one both in terms of operating power and HD/SD converting. I am also using the 6000 w/8VSB. I think we are experiencing a bit of the learning curve from the broadcast side. Gotta love being an early adopter!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.