Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently got HD over my cable service, and am quite impressed with the best of the programming. One question....

When I watch a widescreen movie on, say, HBO-HD, am I seeing 480i or 480p (DVD quality), or has the movie been "remastered" for HD? Often, the HD cable movies looks better than a DVD of the same movie. Sometimes, there's little or no difference.

I'm thinking that a small percentage of movies are remastered for HD, most are DVD quality. Right or wrong?

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
When I watch a widescreen movie on, say, HBO-HD, am I seeing 480i or 480p (DVD quality), or has the movie been "remastered" for HD?
If you are watching with a HD Decoder Set Top Box (STB), as I assume you have because you subscribe to HBO-HD...you should be seeing them all in 1080i....much greater picture quality than 480p.

In fact, I find myself wanting to watch movies on HDTV more than renting them on DVD, because current DVD mastering is in 480p.

The movies you see on HBO should look better than DVD. With that said, you need to make sure the programming lists the movie as being shown in HD....sometimes there are upscaling from 4:3 and what not...but not usually on HDTV.

Dave Starlin has a great thread going on programming...I recommend you check it out.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=294102

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.